Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

US, Russia reach deal on Syria's chemical

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1    docyabut2

docyabut2

Government Agent

• 3,387 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 12:57 PM

The United States and Russia struck a deal Saturday under which Syria will allow its stockpile of chemical weapons to be removed or destroyed by next year — easing a crisis over a threatened American military attack.
Secretary of State John Kerry and his Russian counterpart, Sergei Lavrov, announced the deal after a third day of talks in Geneva.

http://worldnews.nbc...al-weapons?lite

#2    docyabut2

docyabut2

Government Agent

• 3,387 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:53 PM

As much as I don`t agree with President Obama on a lot of issues, or that he`s a weak president. I do have to give credit for this one.If he did not threaten a strike,nothing would have been settle on the removable of those chemical weapons , just like when President Kenney  threaten to strike Cuba., if Russia did,nt agree to get the nukes out of there.It does take lot of courage to make a stand.

#3    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,433 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 14 September 2013 - 03:57 PM

I reckon President Putin saved Obama's ass so he didn't have to embarrass himself and America.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#4    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 8,167 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 04:02 PM

Too early to say, we'll have to wait till mid 2014

#5    Purifier

Purifier

Psychic Eye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,950 posts

• Wild Card

Posted 14 September 2013 - 04:25 PM

View Postdocyabut2, on 14 September 2013 - 01:53 PM, said:

As much as I don`t agree with President Obama on a lot of issues, or that he`s a weak president. I do have to give credit for this one.If he did not threaten a strike,nothing would have been settle on the removable of those chemical weapons , just like when President Kenney  threaten to strike Cuba., if Russia did,nt agree to get the nukes out of there.It does take lot of courage to make a stand.

How much you wanna bet, that's probably how they will describe it (or something similar to that) in future U.S. History books? If everything follows through as planned, of course.

Study the past, if you would divine the future.
- Confucius

#6    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 6,703 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 14 September 2013 - 11:24 PM

Just ignore McCain and Graham; they are speaking like total idiots.

POW "shell-shock" or old age, or both.

#7    Black Red Devil

Black Red Devil

Mean as Hell

• 2,355 posts

• I would if I could
    But I can't, so I won't

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:18 AM

Oh good what a relief.  Now they can keep on killing thousands of women and children in more conventional terms.  I hate seeing children suffer before they die.

100,000 - 1,400 = 98,600

You think they would be talking to their "allies" to stop the bloodshed, wouldn't you?

We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell

- Oscar Wilde

#8    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,609 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:19 AM

View Postpallidin, on 14 September 2013 - 11:24 PM, said:

Just ignore McCain and Graham; they are speaking like total idiots.

POW "shell-shock" or old age, or both.
Yes, well given that McCain was caught red-handed playing poker on his phone while they were putting the case for and and against military action in Congress I would be less than impressed by anyone who thought his opinion counted in this matter one iota.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#9    Purifier

Purifier

Psychic Eye

• 1,950 posts

• Wild Card

Posted 15 September 2013 - 02:21 AM

View PostlibstaK, on 15 September 2013 - 12:19 AM, said:

Yes, well given that McCain was caught red-handed playing poker on his phone while they were putting the case for and and against military action in Congress I would be less than impressed by anyone who thought his opinion counted in this matter one iota.

Lol. Then he lost on top of that! Or at least they say he did.

That'll learn him! :yes:

- Confucius

#10    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,609 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 15 September 2013 - 02:23 AM

View PostPurifier, on 15 September 2013 - 02:21 AM, said:

Lol. Then he lost on top of that! Or at least they say he did.

That'll learn him! :yes:
He said that himself - from the horse's mouth "I lost thousands in that game".

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#11    Purifier

Purifier

Psychic Eye

• 1,950 posts

• Wild Card

Posted 15 September 2013 - 02:46 AM

View PostlibstaK, on 15 September 2013 - 02:23 AM, said:

He said that himself - from the horse's mouth "I lost thousands in that game".

That's right, he did say that didn't he. Expensive lesson, but I have a feeling that's just chump change to that dude.

Sounds like he might have a gambling problem, as well.

- Confucius

#12    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 13,976 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 15 September 2013 - 02:49 AM

Sounds like some character assassination going on above.

#13    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 13,976 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 15 September 2013 - 02:52 AM

I think it is a delaying tactic and the Syrians will find some excuse for doing nothing and the Russians will veto anything put in front of the Security Council.  Or maybe a few will be handed over and then some excuse found.

Of course Obama has his escape from a politically unpopular action, so the murder of those men, women and children in such a horrible way will end up helping the Syrian regime after all.

#14    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,627 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 15 September 2013 - 05:51 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 15 September 2013 - 02:52 AM, said:

I think it is a delaying tactic and the Syrians will find some excuse for doing nothing and the Russians will veto anything put in front of the Security Council.  Or maybe a few will be handed over and then some excuse found.

Of course Obama has his escape from a politically unpopular action, so the murder of those men, women and children in such a horrible way will end up helping the Syrian regime after all.
It's just a figleaf for Obama.  The world just watched the reintroduction of chemical warfare, yawned and looked away.  When it gets used in a Paris or NY subway I wonder if they'll be yawning?

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#15    stevewinn

stevewinn

Government Agent

• 8,545 posts

• Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:01 AM

I think the west just needs to hold its hands up and admit we backed the wrong side. and embarrassingly the rebels i believe used the chemical weapons. thats why we witnessed a weak UN backed inspector mission. not to apportion blame.

Obama's whole mind set changed when the British decided not to go along with a strike from that point the US as been backpedaling. Obama went from imminent strike, to looking at a way to backtrack but at the same time - saving face. so he decided to give congress a vote which gave him ten days wriggle room, when it was evident over the coming days that the only willing strike partners were the French another way out was needed, step forward Russia and the situation we have today with decommissioning chemical weapons. etc....

When is the west going to learn, the middle east is full of dictators for a reason, in that region you need a strong hard line leader to keep a lid on the pressure cooker, its no wonder we see autocracy in the middle east, and lets not kid ourselves, even when we remove these type of leaders the western style of democracy we want and the type of democracy the people want are two different things and it usually ends up with a right mess. usually ten years of bloodshed before a moderate leader takes charge, followed by a return to autocracy - and as long as this leader is supportive to the west we'll do business with them.

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users