Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Interlocking Gears Found on Common Insect

interlocking gears insect leap jumping insect back legs

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,327 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:04 PM

Embedded in the back legs of a common jumping insect are rotating gear wheels that allow the tiny creatures to leap with astounding speed.

It is the first time that anything resembling gears have been found in a living creature, and the discovery goes to show that nature often tends to beat us at our own engineering game. In this case, evolution produced gears long before people figured out how to build them.

http://news.discover...ects-130912.htm

Posted Image

#2    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,443 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:47 PM

Is this evidence of intelligent design?  I think so, but I'm using the term in a different sense than how it is usually used with a religious connotation.

#3    Gummug

Gummug

Poltergeist

• 2,360 posts

• "There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy" -- Shakespeare

Posted 14 September 2013 - 05:25 PM

Fascinating but I wish they'd shown a diagram of it, I mean a sketch of the actual gears, it would be interesting to know exactly what they look like. I mean, I know what man-made gears look like, but I would think nature's would look a little different.

Posted Image

#4    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,443 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 06:06 PM

And I'm sure they are different, but somehow the concept of gearing must apply?  I haven't seen it either, but I'll bet that some engineer somewhere could make a drawing of it. :yes:

As a way of transferring power, some sort of gear thing might manifest.  Nature is extremely diverse, and there are critters living underwater who we just found out about relatively lately.

It would be nice to see more on it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users