Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Gun Ban in Illinois Ruled Unconstitutional

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#16    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,390 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:14 AM

Constitution 1 Gun-hating Liberals  0

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#17    Bavarian Raven

Bavarian Raven

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:20 AM

@ above. What you said was there can be no good / bad when it comes to using a gun. I said yes there can be clear cut cases where one party is clearly the good and one clearly the bad - my example was a women protecting herself from being raped. She is clearly the victim in this situation. You implied this was not always the case. This is my take on the last couple posts.

#18    Purifier

Purifier

Psychic Eye

• 1,911 posts

• Wild Card

Posted 16 September 2013 - 05:04 AM

View PostBavarian Raven, on 16 September 2013 - 04:20 AM, said:

@ above. What you said was there can be no good / bad when it comes to using a gun. I said yes there can be clear cut cases where one party is clearly the good and one clearly the bad - my example was a women protecting herself from being raped. She is clearly the victim in this situation. You implied this was not always the case. This is my take on the last couple posts.

Alright, let me try again......

First off, in the scenario you described, let me be clear;  It's obvious the women is a victim of the attempted rape, therefore protecting herself with the gun is a situation of survival. Because nothing good comes out of it in the end.

The guy attempting to rape her is definitely in the wrong, but killing someone is wrong too. So how do two wrongs make a right? Do you believe killing someone, with the use of a gun, is a pure, good, positive, well-to-do, holy thing?

There can't be any winners in this, there is no good guys. Not calling her a bad guy either. It's really all negative no matter how you look at it. So how are you pulling a positive out of that, when it's a totally negative thing?

If you think I'm saying she doesn't have the right to defend herself, that's not what I'm saying. If you think I'm saying she brought it on herself, that's not what I'm saying. She has every right to defend herself, but killing is killing no matter how one tries to put a positive spin on it. It doesn't make her bad, just the need to survive with a negative side effect.

Study the past, if you would divine the future.
- Confucius

#19    Bavarian Raven

Bavarian Raven

Psychic Spy

• 1,477 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:06 PM

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree... cheers buddy.

Edited by Bavarian Raven, 16 September 2013 - 02:47 PM.

#20    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,183 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:03 PM

View PostGromdor, on 15 September 2013 - 06:44 PM, said:

Here in Iowa there is a movement to allow guns for the blind.  The intent is to not let physical disabilities prevent gun ownership.  Depending on how this all plays out, there is also talk of further pushing it to allow gun ownership for mental disabilities too.
http://www.usatoday....-blind/2780303/

Colbert treated that Iowa proposal on Thursday night. :tu:

#21    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,241 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:08 PM

View PostPurifier, on 15 September 2013 - 09:11 PM, said:

Our right to defend ourselves when our life is threatened in our homes is called "survival", not being a "good guy".
There can be NO good guys in life threatening situations involving a gun, when someone has to defend themselves and kill another person. Don't try to paint it politically black and white, this is a shade of grey. When you've killed someone, you've killed someone, despite the reason...and that's something negative a person has to carry with them the rest of their lives; no matter how tough a person thinks he/she is about it mentally. Just ask combat vets who've killed people in war.

And I guess you missed the last part in my first sentence, where I said "even though I support people's rights to own basic firearms". Maybe you just ignored that, possibly? Now why would I say that? (BTW, just to be clear from any further misinterpretation, when I say basic firearms, I mean what we can currently own now, besides nukes)

But maybe I'm misinterpreting your entire post by saying;  Perhaps you believe that anybody with a serious mental illness should have access to/own a basic firearm? Because that is what my greatest concern is about. Yes/no?

Oh yeah, there we go...that's a great idea. Let's just let people with suicidal tendencies have special access to nukes why we're at it. I guess I've lived long enough anyway.

(P.S. That wasn't directed at you, Gromdor)

Edit: Doggone typos, again. Arrrgh!!!
No I would not want mentally unstable people to be armed DEPENDING on what that disability was...it's a slippery slope unless there are agreed guidelines.  The old Soviet system had lots of "mentally defective" people didn't they?  But concerning the impact of killing another human being - I am talking about defending one's life.  For most people that trumps everything else, including potential PTSD.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#22    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,100 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:14 PM

View Postand then, on 16 September 2013 - 04:08 PM, said:

No I would not want mentally unstable people to be armed DEPENDING on what that disability was...it's a slippery slope unless there are agreed guidelines.  The old Soviet system had lots of "mentally defective" people didn't they?  But concerning the impact of killing another human being - I am talking about defending one's life.  For most people that trumps everything else, including potential PTSD.

lets hear you opinion about that once you have been at the receiving end of it.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#23    CyberKen

CyberKen

Psychic Spy

• 1,778 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:56 PM

View PostCRYSiiSx2, on 15 September 2013 - 03:08 PM, said:

http://www.chicagotr...0,5828194.story

Seems like people are finally starting to wake up!  I also loved what happened in Colorado.

The Left Wing Loons in Colorado are claiming voter suppression but CNN laughed them off the air.

Gun Grabbing Liberals get thrown out of office!

#24    CyberKen

CyberKen

Psychic Spy

• 1,778 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:58 PM

View PostYamato, on 16 September 2013 - 04:14 AM, said:

Don't forget about the Senator Ted Cruz victory over Feinstein.

Constitution 2   : Gun Grabbing Liberals  0

Edited by CyberKen, 16 September 2013 - 04:58 PM.

#25    Purifier

Purifier

Psychic Eye

• 1,911 posts

• Wild Card

Posted 16 September 2013 - 05:17 PM

View PostBavarian Raven, on 16 September 2013 - 02:06 PM, said:

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree... cheers buddy.

Alrighty then, same here. Cheers, slick. :tu:

View Postand then, on 16 September 2013 - 04:08 PM, said:

View Postquestionmark, on 16 September 2013 - 04:14 PM, said:

lets hear you opinion about that once you have been at the receiving end of it.

^Exactly! It's easy for them to say all that at the moment, until it happens to them. I wonder how Chris Kyle, if he could be here after being killed by a unstable individual, would respond to their unwavering mentality concerning mental health issues and guns.

Study the past, if you would divine the future.
- Confucius

#26    Drayno

Drayno

Reverend Dudemeister

• 3,675 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:05 PM

In general it makes me happy to see news like this.

Right on.

"One leader, one people, signifies one master and millions of slaves." - Camus

#27    CyberKen

CyberKen

Psychic Spy

• 1,778 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:07 PM

View PostHatake Kakashi, on 16 September 2013 - 06:05 PM, said:

In general it makes me happy to see news like this.

Right on.

The 2nd Amendment lives on!

#28    travelnjones

travelnjones

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 12:04 AM

View PostYamato, on 16 September 2013 - 04:14 AM, said:

actually California has something different to say about that one.  They just passed a series of sweeping laws, waiting on the governor to sign them.  I say they because my representation hates everything I believe.  So at least I can take comfort in thinking it wasn't my fault.

I'm sure many will think i am terrible for thinking like I do, and you are right, but it appears to me tyranny reaches a point of entrenchment that only violence will unseat it.  I am not saying that's now just saying that changes in Libya and Syria seem to have required violence.

#29    aztek

aztek

Alien Abducter

• 5,370 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 12:31 AM

great news, my nra contribution at work, another check to nra ila will be mailed tomorrow .

Edited by aztek, 17 September 2013 - 12:32 AM.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#30    Drayno

Drayno

Reverend Dudemeister

• 3,675 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 12:36 AM

View Posttravelnjones, on 17 September 2013 - 12:04 AM, said:

actually California has something different to say about that one.  They just passed a series of sweeping laws, waiting on the governor to sign them.  I say they because my representation hates everything I believe.  So at least I can take comfort in thinking it wasn't my fault.

I'm sure many will think i am terrible for thinking like I do, and you are right, but it appears to me tyranny reaches a point of entrenchment that only violence will unseat it.  I am not saying that's now just saying that changes in Libya and Syria seem to have required violence.

Your first mistake is living in California.

I'd get out before it ends up like Chicago or Detroit.

"One leader, one people, signifies one master and millions of slaves." - Camus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users