Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Astronomer Seth Shostak:We'll find ET by 2037

seth shostak boing boing et chief astronomer seti institute

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#46    bison

bison

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 03:28 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 19 September 2013 - 03:32 AM, said:

All stars tend to flare when they are young, and maybe some settling down occurs (I wasn't aware but it seems reasonable).  Still, my understanding that this flaring problem never goes away enough for life.

I have always been doubtful of the "zone of life" solutions to this sort of problem.  It would take powerful winds -- itself problematic --to achieve such a thing.
The linked article discusses possible heat distributing mechanisms on red dwarf planets, and how stellar flaring could diminish over time.
http://en.wikipedia....d_dwarf_systems

Edited by bison, 20 September 2013 - 03:35 PM.

#47    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 07:18 PM

View Postbadeskov, on 16 September 2013 - 12:51 AM, said:

Without being a mind reader (or admittedly having properly looked into the assumptions upon which he is placing this bet), I am guessing that he is basing it on the increase in radio sensitivity seen by SETI and a calculation of if ET is out there within a given range, then when will we reach the sensitivity required to detect him/her/it.

Just my two uneducated cents.

Cheers,
Badeskov

Atleast you admits.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#48    badeskov

badeskov

Forum Divinity

• 11,196 posts

• Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please - Mark Twain

Posted 12 October 2013 - 09:21 PM

View PostBig Bad Voodoo, on 12 October 2013 - 07:18 PM, said:

Atleast you admits.

Of course. Duly noted that you as usual do not argue the points of the post. Obviously you cannot.

Cheers,
Badeskov

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!! What a ride!". Said to to Dean Karnazes by a running buddy.

#49    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 09:42 PM

View Postbadeskov, on 12 October 2013 - 09:21 PM, said:

Of course. Duly noted that you as usual do not argue the points of the post. Obviously you cannot.

Cheers,
Badeskov

There is no need. Anyone can see , as you said, uneducated two cents.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.

#50    badeskov

badeskov

Forum Divinity

• 11,196 posts

• Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please - Mark Twain

Posted 12 October 2013 - 09:52 PM

View PostBig Bad Voodoo, on 12 October 2013 - 09:42 PM, said:

There is no need. Anyone can see , as you said, uneducated two cents.

So you feel no need to argue the points or educate me then?

Cheers,
Badeskov

PS: we all know that you can't so that was a rhetorical question....

Edited by badeskov, 12 October 2013 - 10:22 PM.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!! What a ride!". Said to to Dean Karnazes by a running buddy.

#51    bmk1245

bmk1245

puny village idiot

• 3,980 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 10:16 PM

Posted Image

VooDoo educating Bade...
What can be more funny...

Posted Image

Oops, soiled my pants...

Arguing with fool is like playing chess with pigeon: he will scatter pieces, peck King's crown, crap on bishop, and fly away bragging how he won the game... (heard once, author unknown).
Zhoom! What was that? That was your life, Mate! Oh, that was quick. Do I get another? Sorry, Mate. That's your lot. Basil Fawlty (John Cleese).

#52    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 10:18 PM

View Postbmk1245, on 12 October 2013 - 10:16 PM, said:

Posted Image

VooDoo educating Bade...
What can be more funny...

Posted Image

Oops, soiled my pants...

You. :tu:

#53    Somethings Not Right

Somethings Not Right

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

• "The more things change, the more they stay the same".. Snake Plissken

Posted 12 October 2013 - 11:54 PM

If life has been on this planet for over a billion years & we've only been technologically capable of sending signals for only a tiny fraction of this, surely were either too early or too late to receive signals in any form?
Other planets may have already sent signals out that have been & gone.... What with the window of opportunity being so small?
Or they might not be advanced enough yet?
And...... Just because a planet might be the right conditions to support life, surely.. it don't mean it will?

And don't call me Surely!

#54    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 17,105 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 02:29 AM

Ok Surely ! So wer too Late,Too early ? I say`s were just too closeminded !

This is a Work in Progress!

#55    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Unsafe at Any Speed

• 24,151 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 13 October 2013 - 06:51 AM

View PostSomethings Not Right, on 12 October 2013 - 11:54 PM, said:

If life has been on this planet for over a billion years & we've only been technologically capable of sending signals for only a tiny fraction of this, surely were either too early or too late to receive signals in any form?
Other planets may have already sent signals out that have been & gone.... What with the window of opportunity being so small?
And...... Just because a planet might be the right conditions to support life, surely.. it don't mean it will?

That's the bit I'm not sure about. old Seth says that any super-advanced civilisation will be indistinguishable from machines, or will be biological/machine hybrids, or something like that, doesn't he, so how is he so sure that SETI will be able to detect them, since it only looks for radio communications? Why is he so sure that a biological/machine hybrid civilisation will use radio communications, when surely they'd have long moved on to something much more sophisticated?

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#56    Somethings Not Right

Somethings Not Right

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 12:26 PM

I think Psyche 101 covered that one mate..         #28(edited)
The point is, If they are sending signals.. any signals, I'm sure we'd detect them.. but signals don't hang around forever!
So we may have missed them... or.. Twerly

& don't call me Surely! :D

Edited by Somethings Not Right, 13 October 2013 - 12:27 PM.

#57    Somethings Not Right

Somethings Not Right

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 12:34 PM

View PostDONTEATUS, on 13 October 2013 - 02:29 AM, said:

Ok Surely ! So wer too Late,Too early ? I say`s were just too closeminded !
I was'nt saying it is going to be impossible.... It just cuts down the percentages drastically! :yes:
My mind is very open... & may be they're veggies & won't eat anyone!!!!!    Haha!

#58    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 30,762 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:54 AM

View PostSomethings Not Right, on 12 October 2013 - 11:54 PM, said:

Why can we not receive signals mate?

I am not sure what the ideal of "old and new" radio signals mean, electromagnetic radiation is fairly common in the Universe, we know how to communicate by light, we do it every day all the time, and that includes things like laser transmissions, and the Ballistic Missile Early Warning System can make 200 light years before degrading.

The WOW! Signal may well have been a transmission that we did pick up.

Indeed, just because planets are in the habitable zone means squat, Mars and Venus are in our habitable zone. We have taken a direct photo of an exoplanet,

Posted Image

The star in question is a brown dwarf (what some people unfairly call a failed star) called 2MASSWJ1207334-3932 - or 2M1207 for short - located about 230 light years from Earth. This false-colored infrared image shows the star as blue, and the planet red.

The planet, called 2M1207 b, has about 5 times the mass of Jupiter, and orbits the star over 8 billion km (5 billion miles) out, about twice the distance of Neptune from the Sun.

The planet was first seen in 2004, but astronomers had to wait a year to confirm it really was a planet and not a background star or galaxy.

LINK

And shirley, as that improves it is only going to give us more clues as to where life might actually be. Then, bring out the BMEWS!

Cheers.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo 'If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.' - Sir Isaac Newton. "Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit." Ed Stewart. Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs. Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Sir Wearer of Hats.

#59    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 30,762 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:55 AM

View PostColonel Rhuairidh, on 13 October 2013 - 06:51 AM, said:

That's the bit I'm not sure about. old Seth says that any super-advanced civilisation will be indistinguishable from machines, or will be biological/machine hybrids, or something like that, doesn't he, so how is he so sure that SETI will be able to detect them, since it only looks for radio communications? Why is he so sure that a biological/machine hybrid civilisation will use radio communications, when surely they'd have long moved on to something much more sophisticated?

What would you propose?

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo 'If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.' - Sir Isaac Newton. "Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit." Ed Stewart. Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs. Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Sir Wearer of Hats.

#60    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 13,252 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:01 AM

Hell we are machines; maybe biologically evolved but still machines.

Of course I split hairs; what they are talking about are gadgets made of metal and going "beep, beep."  I think what we will find is probably something else entirely, something more like spirits or ghosts designed to be able to live in any environment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users