Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Lightning-Fast Evolution - Cambrian Explosion

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 12,160 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:01 PM

Lightning-Fast Evolution Clocked During Cambrian Explosion

A crustacean with 3,000 lenses in its eyes, 6-foot-long shrimplike creatures and organisms that looked like tulips emerged hastily (from an evolutionary perspective) on the scene some 520 million to 540 million years ago. And now scientists have figured out just how quickly evolution was occurring during evolution's "big bang."

And it was fast by most measures, five times quicker than occurs today.

"The abrupt appearance of dozens of animal groups during this time is arguably the most important evolutionary event after the origin of life," lead author Michael Lee of the University of Adelaide and the South Australian Museum said in a statement.

http://www.livescien...n-measured.html

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#2    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,844 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:33 PM

Still I wouldn't call a period of millions of years "lightning fast"

#3    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 6,775 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:45 PM

View PostRlyeh, on 16 September 2013 - 07:33 PM, said:

Still I wouldn't call a period of millions of years "lightning fast"

It just sounds better than "Molasses Fast"...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users