Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 3 votes

A question for all skeptics

• Please log in to reply
712 replies to this topic

#1    Godsnmbr1

Godsnmbr1

The Bee's Knees

• 2,317 posts

• There's someone in my head
    but it's not me

Posted 16 September 2013 - 05:39 AM

If one day you woke up with another voice in your head, and this voice claimed to be God, what would you ask this voice to do in order to prove such a claim?

Edit: I just saw what my picture quote was still set to, but let me assure you--I donot hear voices.  Just a coincidence.

Edited by Godsnmbr1, 16 September 2013 - 05:41 AM.

Remember, we are all just acting out a grand old game here, where we agree to forget who we really are, that in the remembering, that we may find each other again, and know that we are One. That All of Life, is One.

#2    Tiggs

Tiggs

Relax. It's only me.

• 9,143 posts

• Universe Service Pack 2 still needs patching.

Posted 16 September 2013 - 05:59 AM

Solve RSA2048, for starters.

Plus as many other ridiculous math challenges that I could throw at him - otherwise, how would you know it's not just you going mad?

If he manages to solve all of them - and can then predict 100 coin flips that I ask someone else to make at random - then I'll seriously listen to what he has to say.

#3    krypter3

krypter3

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 420 posts

• “My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places.” A.A Milne

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:21 AM

Strike me down right this very second and bring me to heaven.  Then maybe I'd believe.

#4    Almagest

Almagest

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:27 AM

Disintegrate my body and reintegrate it on the other side of the world without destroying my conscious mind.

Life is the result of the struggle between dynamic opposites Form & Chaos, Substance & Oblivion, Light & Dark And all the infinite variations of Yin & Yang
When the pendulum swings in favour of one It will eventually swing in favour of it's opposite Thus the balance of the universe is maintained

-Jeru the Damaja

#5    AtlantisRises

AtlantisRises

Oderint dum metuant

• 2,393 posts

• My time has not yet come either, Some are born post humously

Ecce homo
    Nietszche

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:35 AM

Where are my keys.

Posted Image

#6    Purifier

Purifier

Δ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,010 posts

• Wild Card

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:38 AM

Turn me into God, so I could banish the other voice out of my head. There's only room for one of us and I don't feel like be driven to insanity. :D

Study the past, if you would divine the future.
- Confucius

#7    Godsnmbr1

Godsnmbr1

The Bee's Knees

• 2,317 posts

• There's someone in my head
    but it's not me

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:40 AM

View PostAtlantisRises, on 16 September 2013 - 06:35 AM, said:

Where are my keys.

You never took them out of the car.  It's out in the parking lot, with the engine still running.

Edit:  That actually happened to me once.  Completely sober too  =(

Edited by Godsnmbr1, 16 September 2013 - 06:48 AM.

Remember, we are all just acting out a grand old game here, where we agree to forget who we really are, that in the remembering, that we may find each other again, and know that we are One. That All of Life, is One.

#8    eight bits

eight bits

• 6,273 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:57 AM

Number 1

Nice to see you. Prove what? So far, you have described something similar to Carl Jung's God.

http://uncertaintist...owledge-of-god/

So, I would  brew up some coffee and settle in for a nice chat. Some of what follows, addressed to Tiggs, ampilifes on the above.

Tiggs

And nice to see you, too. That's just the sort of thing I'd expect Carl Jung's God to do (well, not wholesale, but if P=NP, contrary to expectation, and I had a clue, then I would have a life's work cut out for me, and have solved efficient semi-prime factoring as a side effect). However, there were plenty of people who confidently thought they had proven Fermat's Theorem before anybody did, and that correct proof took a long time to formalize (not just one person's work). It's a hard test to evaluate, and I would have to live with this God while awaiting the results.

But more than that, I would be disappointed if my personal God could not slip any cognitive challenge I might propose. As you may recall, in the original The Day the Earth Stood Still, Mr Carpenter proved his bona fides (as allegorical Jesus, so indeed, as some people's God) by altering one line in the professor's work in progress, pointing to the resolution of a stumper. Note that he didn't wait for the challenge, he anticipated it, and he didn't do requests or encores.

As to the coins, my Jungian God (who, by an amazing coincidence, would appear to be a hamster and say many things I would say) would reply "Then it wouldn't be random, would it?" And, as I mentioned to Number 1, there wouldn't be any call for proof anyway. The conscious experience of Jung's God isn't conducive to being prosecutor, judge and jury in one's own case:

(God) is an apt name given to all overpowering emotions in my own psychical system subduing my conscious will and usurping control over myself. This is the name by which I designate all things which cross my willful path violently and recklessly, all things which upset my subjective views, plans, and intentions and change the course of my life for better or worse. In accordance with tradition I callthe power of fate in this positive as well as negative aspect, and inasmuch as its origin is beyond my control, 'god', a 'personal god', since my fate means very much myself, particularly when it approaches me in the form of conscience as a vox Dei, with which I can even converse and argue. (We do and, at the same time, we know that we do. One is subject as well as object.)

I think it is material to the question that I have interior mental experience of the candidate, and only that, as opposed to encountering God in other ways. I wouldn't apply tests, because I wouldn't be a reliable evaluator of them, and because it is unclear whether the God would consent to be tested, or that I would care if it didn't.

Posted Image

#9    AtlantisRises

AtlantisRises

Oderint dum metuant

• 2,393 posts

• My time has not yet come either, Some are born post humously

Ecce homo
    Nietszche

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:25 AM

View PostGodsnmbr1, on 16 September 2013 - 06:40 AM, said:

You never took them out of the car.  It's out in the parking lot, with the engine still running.

Edit:  That actually happened to me once.  Completely sober too  =(

Who needs a voice in my head. I bow to you sir.

Posted Image

#10    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,187 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:06 AM

I just hope he doesn't start telling me to kill people.

#11    shrooma

shrooma

doesn't have one screw fully tightened.....

• 3,570 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:34 AM

i'd ask the voice to disintigrate simon cowell, live on network TV, thereby making me incredibly popular and attractive to women.....

- - - - -disclaimer- - - - -
all posts- without exception- are humourous.
if you fail to grasp the sublety, then don't whine on due to your lack of understanding.

#12    Aggie

Aggie

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:48 AM

I'd ask him to build me a Tardis and make me the new Time Lady.

Edited by Aggie, 16 September 2013 - 08:49 AM.

No matter what happens....never stop believing in people.....never stop believing in love♥♥

#13    Jeffertonturner

Jeffertonturner

Hero Squad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

• I may not be the smartest, or the best looking, or the most successful but...what was I saying? I'm depressed.

Posted 16 September 2013 - 09:16 AM

People who hear voices should seek medical help.

~Life goes by pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while -and do whatever you want all the time -you can miss it.~

#14    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,518 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:17 AM

View PostGodsnmbr1, on 16 September 2013 - 05:39 AM, said:

If one day you woke up with another voice in your head, and this voice claimed to be God, what would you ask this voice to do in order to prove such a claim?

Edit: I just saw what my picture quote was still set to, but let me assure you--I donot hear voices.  Just a coincidence.
There have been many "doctors"  asking this same question to the people who have claimed this has happened to them, they have been doing this study on places called asylums for years.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#15    dlonewolf85

dlonewolf85

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 243 posts

• I'm not a bad boy,

But just misunderstood!!

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:51 AM

View PostJeffertonturner, on 16 September 2013 - 09:16 AM, said:

People who hear voices should seek medical help.

No, hearing voices would imply that our ears work just fine. It's having imaginary conversations inside one's head that could be a problem...

∂ Ѡοɭ ʄ85

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users