Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

energy versus spirit.

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,828 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:23 PM

This is a science discussion.  But if I put this in a science thread, people ould cry about it.

The saying goes you cannot make or lose energy.  I am wondering if the samething can be said about knowledge.  I know you can add to your own knowledge.  But, is usually knowledge someone else had.  If knowlege cannot be destroyed or made, could thi explain souls.  We do not have a means to test a persons real knowledge.  The closest is an iq test.  Which measures knowledge on a subject.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#2    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 5,507 posts

• We have problems because we stray from what is innocent and pure.

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:47 PM

Maybe all knowledge already exists and we just sample some of it. Information also cannot be destroyed. As information is basically energy, and energy cannot be created or destroyed, all the information that creates a universe must already exist for that universe to exist.

Perhaps spiritual information also exists, and this is what we call soul or spirit.

The acceptance of authority does not lead to intelligence.
A mind untouched by thought...the end of knowledge.
To see reality loose your opinions.

#3    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 10,338 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:00 PM

If man does not pass on his knowledge then it rests for the next man to find out himself. Fortunately man has be passing on his knowledge through cave drawings, books, word of mouth, education and now the internet. Can not see what this has to do with souls?

#4    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,828 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:11 PM

A soul could be the aaccumulation of this knowledge.  As you accumulate moore jknowledge you can go from near nothing to being god like.  Whhat god has done is created this life to help to accumulate more knowledge and learn how to use it for good, gods ddefinition if, good. It is like the accuumulation of enrrgy wait long eenough and you get a star.

There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#5    Gary Meadows

Gary Meadows

Like your uncle, only better

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:24 PM

Knowledge dies with the body unfortunately.

~Life goes by pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while -and do whatever you want all the time -you can miss it.~

#6    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Forum Divinity

• 10,578 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:48 PM

Knowledge requires a medium.

#7    Almagest

Almagest

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 05:25 PM

I don't think 'knowledge' is bound by laws on the conservation of energy. It can grow and spread. The only real limit on knowledge I guess is how much the brain can store.

Heaven and hell suppose two distinct species of men, the good and the bad. But the greatest part of mankind float betwixt vice and virtue. - David Hume

#8    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,828 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 05:44 PM

Knowledge does not die with the body.  It may float around through space, waiting for someone else to find it.  But, it is still there.

Does the brain power knowledge or does knowledge power your brain.  If knowledge powers the brain . Then knowledge is more than this life.

#9    dlonewolf85

dlonewolf85

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 321 posts

• I'm not a bad boy,

But just misunderstood!!

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:00 PM

View Postdanielost, on 16 September 2013 - 05:44 PM, said:

Knowledge does not die with the body. It may float around through space, waiting for someone else to find it.  But, it is still there.

Nope. Knowledge doesn't work that way. It is cumulative i.e. new knowledge is always added to the previously known stuff. Knowledge can be information or a set of skills or maybe even a certain perspective on a subject that further leads to a deeper understanding. Sometimes knowledge can be lost too. If a person carries a secret with him and then dies, or if a civilization gets wiped out, or if the earth gets destroyed, knowledge can be lost. But it definitely doesn't float around in space. Dude! lol.

∂ Ѡοɭ ʄ85

#10    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Forum Divinity

• 10,578 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:17 PM

View Postdanielost, on 16 September 2013 - 05:44 PM, said:

Knowledge does not die with the body.  It may float around through space, waiting for someone else to find it.  But, it is still there.
What does knowledge look like or made of?

You seem to be confused about just what knowledge is.

#11    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,828 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:37 PM

View Postdlonewolf85, on 16 September 2013 - 06:00 PM, said:

Nope. Knowledge doesn't work that way. It is cumulative i.e. new knowledge is always added to the previously known stuff. Knowledge can be information or a set of skills or maybe even a certain perspective on a subject that further leads to a deeper understanding. Sometimes knowledge can be lost too. If a person carries a secret with him and then dies, or if a civilization gets wiped out, or if the earth gets destroyed, knowledge can be lost. But it definitely doesn't float around in space. Dude! lol.

I disagree.  Knowledge has to exist in order for someone to discover it. You may learnn new knowledge but it has to be available too be learned.  Which may be why tfhe greeks couldn't build a steam locoomotive.  They had all of the parts to make one they just couldn'tg putf it together.  Knowlledge seems to be "discovered" when we are ready to use it.

#12    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,828 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:39 PM

View PostRlyeh, on 16 September 2013 - 06:17 PM, said:

What does knowledge look like or made of?

You seem to be confused about just what knowledge is.

I don't know what it looks like made of or looks like.  What does nrgy look like.

#13    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Forum Divinity

• 10,578 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:23 PM

View Postdanielost, on 16 September 2013 - 06:39 PM, said:

I don't know what it looks like made of or looks like.  What does nrgy look like.
Energy is the system's capacity to do work. Energy is not knowledge.

I disagree. Knowledge has to exist in order for someone to discover it. You may learnn new knowledge but it has to be available too be learned. Which may be why tfhe greeks couldn't build a steam locoomotive. They had all of the parts to make one they just couldn'tg putf it together. Knowlledge seems to be "discovered" when we are ready to use it.
Disagree all you like, the definition of knowledge doesn't mean what you think it does.

#14    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,828 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:39 PM

There are two forms for sure combine to make something that is greater than its parts.  Energy, which can become a star.  Life, which can become a human.  Knowledge, which might become a god or god like being.  Life seems to be made up of all three, from the single celled to the mighty red wood tree. All life on earth seems to have enough knowledge to be what it is with a little lift over.

My mommy cat showed her knowledge, two years ago, when I came home from the hospital.   I had asked my roommate if she had a sausage she could fix for me.  She said no.  Mommy kitty went into the kitchen and grabed a hot sausage

She went out of the house and carried t around the house and brought to me.  She know what I wanted and how to get it to me.  She also did not take a bite out of it.  I couldn't eat it but it tells me she has more knowledge than people would give a cat.

#15    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,828 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:41 PM

View PostRlyeh, on 16 September 2013 - 07:23 PM, said:

Energy is the system's capacity to do work. Energy is not knowledge.

Disagree all you like, the definition of knowledge doesn't mean what you think it does.

:-) ok you define it for me. I am just asking a question.  Thyat is where knowledge begins right.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users