Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

America Unearthed copper in Great Lakes

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1    GoodVibraShawn

GoodVibraShawn

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:13 AM

I'm just watching America Unearthed on the copper that was mined from the Great Lakes.  They estimate it took 10,000 people 1,000 years yet America was not supposed to have been discovered that early.  I think this would make a better topic for Ancient Aliens TV show because that might make a better theory if that much copper was extracted.

#2    seaturtlehorsesnake

seaturtlehorsesnake

i am political correctness gone mad

• 2,566 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:20 AM

while i don't know much about the show, i do know that native americans were mining copper in michigan for quite a long time time, though it was mostly from exposed veins. and this was for at least several thousand years, during which time they may have mined quite a lot. heck, i've seen some of the mining pits they dug up on isle royale! they look like shallow pits, but you can still tell that they were man-made. is the show trying to imply that there was something more going on?

(i'm in the copper country right now! so that's a thing)

#3    jaylemurph

jaylemurph

"If we would know, then we would be more wisdomed."

• 9,553 posts

• "You can lead a whore to culture, but you can't make him think." Dorothy Parker

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:05 AM

View PostGoodVibraShawn, on 17 September 2013 - 06:13 AM, said:

I'm just watching America Unearthed on the copper that was mined from the Great Lakes.  They estimate it took 10,000 people 1,000 years yet America was not supposed to have been discovered that early.  I think this would make a better topic for Ancient Aliens TV show because that might make a better theory if that much copper was extracted.

So I'm curious: do you think there just weren't Native Americans here 1,000 years ago? Or 1,500? What, did they show up by boat on October 11, 1492 and were just really good at faking long term cultures?

--Jaylemurph

"... amongst the most obstinate of our opinions may be classed those which derive from discussions in which we affect to search for the truth, while in reality we are only fortifying prejudice."     -- James Fenimore Cooper, The Pathfinder

Posted Image

Deeply venial

#4    Jules97

Jules97

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:37 AM

Don't believe anything you hear on this show. I watched a couple of episodes and was intrigued but after basic research I found out that everything was totally fake. There was a skeptical website that breaks down everything.

#5    Harte

Harte

Supremely Educated Knower of Everything in Existence.

• 11,485 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:47 AM

If you use the search function, you'll find info here that explains the whole thing.

Harte

Posted Image
See the new Harte Mark III
And the Mayan panoramas on my pyramid pajamas haven't helped my little problem. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Anybody like Coleridge?

#6    stereologist

stereologist

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,189 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 02:32 PM

I've watched the show. It is all fake. The copper show is a good example to explain the format of the show.

The show beings with an outrageous claim that is taken at face value. In the case of the copper show the claim is that a huge amount of copper was extracted and sent over to Europe and the Middle East to support the copper age. No effort is made at all to substantiate the huge amount of copper claimed.

Once the the most ridiculous claim is taken at face value, then some paltry effort is made to "investigate" some other unimportant issues. The dumbest idea is that show is that the wolf population is dying off because they are falling into holes left by ancient miners. The show seems to admit that any holes of any size are modern.

If people want to see something real about the native copper deposits they might be interested in the artifacts uncovered at Mounds National Monument in Ohio. The bird is made of native copper.
http://www.nps.gov/hocu/

Some gorgets are shown here
http://www.ao.uiuc.e...l/hopewell7.htm

#7    qxcontinuum

qxcontinuum

Poltergeist

• 2,201 posts

• The age of stupid is upon us. Scientific conclusions are drawn from missing data, resuming to suppositions and guessing.

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:03 PM

It was the Vikings , they discovered numerous ancient European artifacts and European wood that normally is not growing here. Apparently they seem to be traced back to nearly 2000 years ago on this land. We should not be surprised whatsoever that Vikings have been traveling all across the mapamond back then. Their presence have been seen all over the place including Africa and as far as Australia which is crazy just to think about but obviously archeological proofs are not deniable.

Edited by qxcontinuum, 17 September 2013 - 04:03 PM.

#8    stereologist

stereologist

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,189 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:07 PM

View Postqxcontinuum, on 17 September 2013 - 04:03 PM, said:

It was the Vikings , they discovered numerous ancient European artifacts and European wood that normally is not growing here. Apparently they seem to be traced back to nearly 2000 years ago on this land. We should not be surprised whatsoever that Vikings have been traveling all across the mapamond back then. Their presence have been seen all over the place including Africa and as far as Australia which is crazy just to think about but obviously archeological proofs are not deniable.

Only 1 settlement has ever been discovered in North America outside of Greenland and that is at L'anse aux Meadows. I've been there. It is a fascinating look into a settlement that was not the Vinland of the Norse stories. No one knows where the Vikings went in North America. There really isn't anything to be found outside of Greenland and L'Anse aux Meadow.

There are many hoaxes which have been done claiming to be ancient Viking artifacts. One of these is shown in the America Unearthed show.

#9    seaturtlehorsesnake

seaturtlehorsesnake

• 2,566 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:30 PM

View Poststereologist, on 17 September 2013 - 02:32 PM, said:

Once the the most ridiculous claim is taken at face value, then some paltry effort is made to "investigate" some other unimportant issues. The dumbest idea is that show is that the wolf population is dying off because they are falling into holes left by ancient miners. The show seems to admit that any holes of any size are modern.

wait, what? wolves... wolves are capable of avoiding holes. they're pretty bright animals. how would that even make sense to someone?

#10    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,757 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:42 PM

View Postpatagonianhorsesnake, on 17 September 2013 - 06:30 PM, said:

wait, what? wolves... wolves are capable of avoiding holes. they're pretty bright animals. how would that even make sense to someone?

Oh, it does: To the assiduous audience of America Unearthed.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#11    stereologist

stereologist

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,189 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:57 PM

I watch the show and laugh and I keep thinking that the producer is wondering how stupid a comment they can make and get away with it. I can see them pushing the limits a little and then in disbelief they notice that the comment did not cause anyone in their test audience to blink. So they try something a little crazier. Still no reaction. Pretty soon they realize that outlandish comments need to be there because it wakes up the sleepy heads just in tie for the commercials.

Later on they are looking at a stone supposed to be covered in runes. The stone was fine in the ground for hundreds of years and then begins to fall apart. Clearly, the runes were placed on the stone close to its "discovery" otherwise they would have been unreadable. Not so according to the show.

These are the sorts of shows where you play a game in which friends get to sip their beer if they spot a blatant mistake in the show. This show could be lethal.

#12    seaturtlehorsesnake

seaturtlehorsesnake

• 2,566 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:05 PM

it's pretty sad that these shows always focus on conspiracy nonsense, because the actual history of native copper mining is fascinating stuff.

#13    lakeview rud

lakeview rud

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:02 PM

Clearly the "whole thing" is not explained. How much copper ore was mined?  Estimates vary from a few tons to thousands if not hundreds of thousands of tons. Not much in the way of tools found, mostly stone hammers.  Mining continued for hundreds of years, maybe more.  Clearly this was not an isolated Amerindian tribe mining coppper for some sort of local decorative purpose. They had to be trading with other tribes.  Where were they, what were the trade routes?  Not very many copper artifacts have been found; understandable but shouldn't there be more?  In Ontario Canada, near Peterborough, there is a stone outcropping with many many glyphs carved on it and they look a lot like those found at Old Norse sites. The outcropping is found along an ancient trail that leads from Lake Huron to Lake Ontario and much of that trail is by water. We'll probably never get all the facts and that's too bad because to mine copper in those quantities way back then, there had to be some significant trade going on.  Too bad the Amerindians didn't have a good local source of tin (South America?).  Maybe they would have been able to invade Europe instead of the other way around.

#14    Harte

Harte

Supremely Educated Knower of Everything in Existence.

• 11,485 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:35 AM

Well, if you're unwilling, let me aid you in reaching your existential moment.

Found by searching "Michigan Copper" under author name "Harte":

link1
link2
link3
link4

Leave off the "Harte" and I bet you get a lot more.

Harte

Posted Image
See the new Harte Mark III
And the Mayan panoramas on my pyramid pajamas haven't helped my little problem. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Anybody like Coleridge?

#15    stereologist

stereologist

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,189 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:41 AM

This was a native copper deposit, native ores were mined at Isles Royale, Michigan's Upper Peninsula and at the Kennicott area in Alaska. All of these sites were sources for metal implements. I doubt much was taken out of these areas. The metals were taken by such to produce tools and decorative items.

There is a discussion at this link about the origin of some of the incredibly large copper values. They point out why these numbers are not supported by the evidence. They also dispense with the foreign miner claim by pointing out that not a single artifacts from across the Atlantic has been found. The copper artifacts and processing methods are described here.
http://copperculture.homestead.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users