Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

We will soon be in a Post-antibiotics era.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1    Aggie

Aggie

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:18 AM

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has just published a first-of-its-kind assessmentof the threat the country faces from antibiotic-resistant organisms, ranking them by the number of illnesses and deaths they cause each year and outlining urgent steps that need to be taken to roll back the trend.

The agency’s overall — and, it stressed, conservative — assessment of the problem:

• Each year, in the U.S., 2,049,442 illnesses caused by bacteria and fungi that are resistant to at least some classes of antibiotics;
  • Each year, out of those illnesses, 23,000 deaths;
  • Because of those illnesses and deaths, $20 billion each year in additional healthcare spending;
  • And beyond the direct healthcare costs, an additional $35 billion lost to society in foregone productivity.

“If we are not careful, we will soon be in a post-antibiotic era,” Dr. Tom Frieden, the CDC’s director, said in a media briefing. “And for some patients and for some microbes, we are already there.”

http://www.wired.com...9/cdc-amr-rpt1/

No matter what happens....never stop believing in people.....never stop believing in love♥♥

#2    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,272 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:46 AM

THat, dear idiots of humanity, is why you don't take antibiotics when you have a ******* cold.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#3    Aggie

Aggie

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:07 AM

View PostSir Wearer of Hats, on 18 September 2013 - 09:46 AM, said:

THat, dear idiots of humanity, is why you don't take antibiotics when you have a ******* cold.

Thank you, I have been saying this for years too. People are ignorant, they don't understand that antibiotics won't kill viruses, only bacteria.
Many seriously abuse medicines.

No matter what happens....never stop believing in people.....never stop believing in love♥♥

#4    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 16,116 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:53 AM

There exists incredible ignorance regarding the proper use of antibiotics. Also, we need to keep in mind that bacteria are very, very good at survival...they will inevitably develop resistance to whatever we throw at them. There needs to be research and development of new medications, it's our only viable option.

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

"All that live must die, passing through nature into eternity" ~Shakespeare~ Posted Image

#5    krypter3

krypter3

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

• “My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places.” A.A Milne

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:43 AM

It was revolutionary and thus was abused by the masses.  Now Viruses are evolving fasting than we can develop a new way for treating them.

#6    Dark_Grey

Dark_Grey

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,499 posts

• if (empty($universe)) {
    include 'reality.php';
    }

Posted 18 September 2013 - 02:00 PM

I was having this discussion with some coworkers yesterday. People definitely should use more caution when using antibiotics, but on that note I wonder if some of that blame can be shifted towards the pharmaceutical industry. It's no secret they have their own agenda to push drug sales as much as possible, which I'm sure means they helped fan the flames we are now dealing with. I wonder how many times a doctor was sitting with a sick patient who could have gotten away with chicken soup but is instead prescribed juggernaut drugs because of a nice incentive?

Exploring your own consciousness is the fundamental right of every individual

Locking people in a cage because they choose to exercise that right should be considered a crime against humanity

#7    spartan max2

spartan max2

Poltergeist

• 2,585 posts

• There's nothing so absurd that if you repeat it often enough

Posted 18 September 2013 - 02:04 PM

This should motivate everyone to be healthier. Cause the antibotics won't save you soon

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#8    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,016 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:23 PM

View Postspartan max2, on 18 September 2013 - 02:04 PM, said:

This should motivate everyone to be healthier. Cause the antibotics won't save you soon

It should, but it won't.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#9    DecoNoir

DecoNoir

The Entertainer

• 2,511 posts

• ... The Aristocrats.

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:34 PM

View PostChild of Bast, on 18 September 2013 - 06:23 PM, said:

It should, but it won't.

Thin the herd a bit?

In the words of Bill Burr:

Put on a sweater, take some vitamins, you'll be fine... disease is nature's forest fire just let it burn out all the dead wood!

I reject your reality, and substitute my own! Mostly because yours is boring as hell.

#10    Aggie

Aggie

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:35 PM

View Postspartan max2, on 18 September 2013 - 02:04 PM, said:

Yes, you are right and what you say applies to medicines, cause people nowadays they just take medicines to stop the symptoms instead of curing the cause.
We need to let the body create its own antibodies to kill pathogens (viruses or bacteria): our bodies are extremelly clever, once an antibody is created, certain cells memorise it and if there is a new 'attack' we can create antibodies immediately, sometimes without even getting any symptoms. By doing this our bodies get stronger which is exactly the opposite that happens when you take antibiotics immediately: your body gets weaker as it forgets how to defend itself and the pathogen gets stronger.

Edited by Aggie, 18 September 2013 - 06:36 PM.

#11    antonT

antonT

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 165 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:51 PM

View PostAggie, on 18 September 2013 - 08:18 AM, said:

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has just published a first-of-its-kind assessmentof the threat the country faces from antibiotic-resistant organisms, ranking them by the number of illnesses and deaths they cause each year and outlining urgent steps that need to be taken to roll back the trend.

The agency’s overall — and, it stressed, conservative — assessment of the problem:
  • Each year, in the U.S., 2,049,442 illnesses caused by bacteria and fungi that are resistant to at least some classes of antibiotics;
  • Each year, out of those illnesses, 23,000 deaths;
  • Because of those illnesses and deaths, $20 billion each year in additional healthcare spending;
  • And beyond the direct healthcare costs, an additional $35 billion lost to society in foregone productivity.
“If we are not careful, we will soon be in a post-antibiotic era,” Dr. Tom Frieden, the CDC’s director, said in a media briefing. “And for some patients and for some microbes, we are already there.”

http://www.wired.com...9/cdc-amr-rpt1/

In terms of evolution antibiotics are just an ephemeral drop in the ocean in terms of the survival of organisms on Earth. In the bigger scheme of things, when exposed to infection, organisms will either succombe or survive and those which survive will have a certain immunity - a sort of resistance to bacteria, viruses etc so that, in a way the tables are turned.

#12    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 16,116 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:01 PM

View Postkrypter3, on 18 September 2013 - 11:43 AM, said:

It was revolutionary and thus was abused by the masses.  Now Viruses are evolving fasting than we can develop a new way for treating them.

Bacteria are sensitive to antibiotics. Viruses are not. There are anti-viral medications (ex, Acyclovir) but these medications aren't antibiotics.

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

"All that live must die, passing through nature into eternity" ~Shakespeare~ Posted Image

#13    FurthurBB

FurthurBB

Government Agent

• 3,359 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 02:04 AM

View PostDark_Grey, on 18 September 2013 - 02:00 PM, said:

I was having this discussion with some coworkers yesterday. People definitely should use more caution when using antibiotics, but on that note I wonder if some of that blame can be shifted towards the pharmaceutical industry. It's no secret they have their own agenda to push drug sales as much as possible, which I'm sure means they helped fan the flames we are now dealing with. I wonder how many times a doctor was sitting with a sick patient who could have gotten away with chicken soup but is instead prescribed juggernaut drugs because of a nice incentive?

When I was in school I worked on a project for the health department to determine pediatric antibiotic use.  We were all horrified to find that not only were antibiotics being overprescribed, but that the most commonly prescribed ones were far from first line antibiotics.  Luckily it changed after the study and now pediatricians are required to try if possible first line defenders like amoxicillin and erythromycin before moving on if necessary.  I think now the big problem is urgent care centers.  Every time I have ever gone to one they are trying to give me some crazy antibiotic without confirming anything is wrong or for a UTI.  At least I know enough to not just go along with them, but most people don't.  I think the health department should step in again and look at the urgent care centers.

#14    rodentraiser

rodentraiser

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 363 posts

• "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it, and then misapplying the wrong remedies."

from Wrong Planet Forums

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:27 AM

Well, part of the problem is our adding antibiotics to everything in the US. The antibiotic dish washing detergents, hand soaps, etc. Then too, I believe we're the only developed country that still allows farmers to add antibiotics to the feed of cattle, chickens, and hogs, resulting in antibiotic resistance in the people who eat this meat. But it isn't all us either. In a lot of countries, antibiotics are available to anyone and many of the people use them the way we use aspirin.

Diseases becoming antibiotic resistant have been moving in this direction for a long time. A lot of people have been warning about it and it's good to see it's finally getting some attention.

Posted Image

I’m sick of voting for the lesser of two evils. The lesser of two evils is still evil. And almost always the lesser of two evils is our only choice.

We have been voting for the lesser of two evils for decade upon decade and look where it’s gotten us.     Coleman Luck

#15    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 13,976 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:48 AM

It's odd that all those antibiotics are in the US environment yet to get a prescription for one is so hard.  In Vietnam we go down to the pharmacist and he grills us about symptoms and then gives you the appropriate antibiotic if necessary, not if otherwise.  I think it leads to better overall health in the population, but of course medical doctors lose a lot of business from a US-type arrangement, so they constantly thump how dangerous it supposedly is.  It's really about freedom, which is taken away in many situations by special interests in the States.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users