Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

More NHS madness

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

undead

• 13,320 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:22 PM

http://www.dailymail...ng-5k-jobs.html

More madness!

NHS sacks 5,000 nursing staff 'to save money'. NHS discovers it hasn't got enough 'frontline' staff to deliver a (half)decent service. NHS sends managers abroad(cost?), to recruit foreign nurses ...... will they be able to pay them less? Surely there is a fixed level of pay for particular qualifications?

Just a few days ago I was reading a report about all that is recognised as being wrong with the NHS and needs to be fixed. Near the top of the list was the problem of hiring foreign staff because 1) often patients and other staff can't understand them, 2) often they can't express themselves accurately and they misunderstand local colloquialisms, 3) references and proof of qualifications are often not followed up, people are hired simply because they say they can do a particular job. I have personally witnessed/experienced points 1 &2  several times myself.

The staff who were sacked get agency nursing jobs if they can ....... the wages are quite a bit higher. I have also had experience of agency staff while I was a hospital patient. They are disliked by the permanent staff because they are paid more, and they spend all their time asking 'where do you keep such-and-such? Who should I ask about that? Will you come and look at this patient as you are more familiar with their situation than I am?', taking staff away from the jobs they are doing. It makes for a very bad atmosphere on the wards and it also means more mistakes are made. Plus, what is the point of sacking staff to save money and then hiring them back at a higher rate? *tears hair out*

What, in all the world, could I do to earn my living and still live as myself, as I knew myself to be? Temporary masks, I knew, had their place; everyone was wearing them, they were the human rage; but not masks cemented in place until the wearer could not breathe and was eventually suffocated.

#2    itsnotoutthere

itsnotoutthere

Telekinetic

• 7,170 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:53 PM

Something similar has happened in the M.O.D. (ministry of defense) where my wife worked up until two years ago.
Baisically they decided that huge cuts were needed in staff so they went about offering big redundancy packages (30 k plus) As a consequence staff were queing up round the block to leave. And the rule was that anyone that took the package to pay back the money if they went back within 3 years. 12 months later the M.O.D. (suddenly realizing they never had enough staff) start to employ the same staff again but as contractors on a much higher wage (paid for by us).
We could see this coming a mile off.
The trouble is that most governments only think in 5 year chunks i.e. a term of office.

Edited by itsnotoutthere, 19 September 2013 - 09:54 PM.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.”
― Groucho Marx

#3    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 4,166 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:55 AM

Since Inland Revenue merged with H.M.Customs, Customs has been decimated with huge redundancies and early retirement pay offs,so there is now very few Officers except at big Airports, a lot of the work has been taken over by the Immigration Service and the Police,who haven't the staff to fully control all ports and airports,so I guess its a smugglers paradise.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#4    Aggie

Aggie

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:16 AM

It's ridiculous that the government has cut the budget for the most important  public service workers: nurses, policemen and teachers.
But nothing is done to retrieve tax money from Amazon, Boots, Starbucks, etc.

No matter what happens....never stop believing in people.....never stop believing in love♥♥

#5    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 15,172 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 04:22 AM

View PostAggie, on 20 September 2013 - 09:16 AM, said:

It's ridiculous that the government has cut the budget for the most important  public service workers: nurses, policemen and teachers.
But nothing is done to retrieve tax money from Amazon, Boots, Starbucks, etc.
Amazon simply goes "meh, not paying" and goes on not paying.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

You may think you're cool, but you'll never be as cool as Peter Capaldi with an electric guitar, on a tank, playing the Doctor Who theme.

#6    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,690 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 21 September 2013 - 10:09 AM

View PostSir Wearer of Hats, on 21 September 2013 - 04:22 AM, said:

Amazon simply goes "meh, not paying" and goes on not paying.
After the last G20 agreement that will change fast, they better start to choose where they want to pay really fast or it could be expensive.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#7    stevewinn

stevewinn

Government Agent

• 9,940 posts

• Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:04 PM

there is one solution and thats pay more taxes. because every time a government tries to tackle the problems people are up in arms and seeing how politicians are in the game of being re-elected they dare not do too much against the public outcry. so have we only ourselves to blame? i think we all agree savings could be made in government mainly cutting waste ect.. but when will a government take the bull by the horns and when they do will we support them? i doubt it.

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users