Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Will Comet ISON Break Up?

comets ison comet c/2012 s1

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,736 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:28 PM

Will Comet ISON Break Up?

Comet ISON is an interesting comet in many ways, but we know it won't hit us. There is speculation among astronomers however, that it could break up into pieces.

Why? Well, that's why we made this video. Please let us know what you think in the comments!

For more on Comet ISON, please visit our blog:
http://hubblesite.org/go/ison

Credit: NASA/STScI

Source: HubbleSite - ISON blog

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#2    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 12,203 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:34 PM

It can't break up, we've been assured that it's actually an alien spaceship!

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#3    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,736 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:40 PM

View PostSir Wearer of Hats, on 19 September 2013 - 10:34 PM, said:

It can't break up, we've been assured that it's actually an alien spaceship!
Stop listening to the people in the tin foil hats.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#4    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,829 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:51 PM

Oh the disaster if it breaks up -- think of all those aliens there in tin foil hats!

#5    Donnie Darko

Donnie Darko

Who's to say what is proper?

• 3,002 posts

• "Is this your last best chance? Or are you going to your grave with unlived lives in your veins?"

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:19 AM

It would look pretty neat if it did.

#6    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,829 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:35 AM

It probably would happen too soon for it to be in best viewing, leaving a bunch of small comets to dim to see well -- not the spectacular comet we were hoping for.

#7    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,878 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:33 PM

If it breaks up are the pieces liable to be dangerous  to us at some future time depending on whether their orbits will coincide with ours.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#8    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,736 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:46 PM

View Postspud the mackem, on 20 September 2013 - 04:33 PM, said:

If it breaks up are the pieces liable to be dangerous  to us at some future time depending on whether their orbits will coincide with ours.

No for two reasons.

Firstly its orbit does not insect that of the Earth (it passes above and below it).

Secondly it is on an ejection trajectory. After passing the sun it will continue out of the solar system, never returning.

Posted Image
Click on button

#9    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,878 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 21 September 2013 - 03:28 PM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 20 September 2013 - 04:46 PM, said:

No for two reasons.

Firstly its orbit does not insect that of the Earth (it passes above and below it).

Secondly it is on an ejection trajectory. After passing the sun it will continue out of the solar system, never returning.
  Tks for the info. I just wondered what might happen.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#10    NiteMarcher

NiteMarcher

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 343 posts

• Until We Meet Again--Peace, Health & Wealth to You

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:25 AM

I don't think anyone can assure anything when it comes to comets or meteorites. With billions spent on technology by various countries, I'm surprised not one of them could detect the incoming meteorite that descended on Russia. Are we now to believe that ISON will just pass on by with no effects to planet earth? Mother earth is busy rock-n-rolling and I don't believe anyone will be able to predict the outcome--it's just my take on it.

Believe what you want and I'll believe whatever I want...it's an open field, and
everyone is given a chance at making a home run...

#11    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,736 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 22 September 2013 - 09:16 AM

View PostNiteMarcher, on 22 September 2013 - 08:25 AM, said:

I don't think anyone can assure anything when it comes to comets or meteorites. With billions spent on technology by various countries, I'm surprised not one of them could detect the incoming meteorite that descended on Russia. Are we now to believe that ISON will just pass on by with no effects to planet earth? Mother earth is busy rock-n-rolling and I don't believe anyone will be able to predict the outcome--it's just my take on it.
It is not assumption it is knowledge. Orbital mechanics have been understood since the time of Kepler and Newton. Orbits can be calculated with incredible precision.

Not one object ever has disobeyed these laws, "magic" never happens. ISON will follow the exact orbit that has been calculated for it. That's not assumption, it is the absence of superstition.

You carry on believing what you like, but I'll take knowledge over belief any day.

Posted Image
Click on button

#12    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 6,615 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 03:21 PM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 22 September 2013 - 09:16 AM, said:

It is not assumption it is knowledge. Orbital mechanics have been understood since the time of Kepler and Newton. Orbits can be calculated with incredible precision.

Not one object ever has disobeyed these laws, "magic" never happens. ISON will follow the exact orbit that has been calculated for it. That's not assumption, it is the absence of superstition.

You carry on believing what you like, but I'll take knowledge over belief any day.

The day we see an object disobey these rules is the day you can start believing there is intelligent life out there and they can cross interstellar space. :tu:

Believing when there is no compelling evidence is a mistake.  The idea is to withhold belief until there is compelling evidence and if the universe does not comply with our predispositions, okay, then we have the wrenching obligation to accommodate to the way the universe really is.  - Carl Sagan

Who is more humble, the scientist who looks at the universe with an open mind and accepts whatever the universe has to teach us or somebody who says everything in this book should be considered the literal truth and never mind the fallibility of the human beings involved in the writing of this legend - Carl Sagan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users