Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Students Find Man Secretly Living In Basement

Brian Topp

This guy's such a good roommate, you'd never even know he was there.

A group of students at Ohio State University were living in an off-campus home near the school for about a month before they discovered "some random guy" had been living in their basement the whole time, The Lantern reported.

Civil engineering student Mark Hartman told the campus publication that he and his roommates joked about having a "ghost" when they would notice their cupboards, oven and microwave mysteriously left open.

When this kept happening, the residents decided to search the house, and focused on a locked door down two flights of stairs in their basement.

They got their realtor to open the door, and discovered a fully furnished bedroom with pictures of a man, his family and his friends.

Computer science student Brett Mugglin, who also lived in the house, realized he had seen the man on the property once before, but assumed he was just visiting other people who lived on another floor. At the time, the man introduced himself as "Jeremy," and mentioned "I was wondering when I was going to get to meet the people who live here."

The residents took the discovery pretty well, leaving Jeremy a note and asking him to get in touch. When they contacted him, they moved his stuff out and changed the locks. Some residents of the house plan on taking legal action against North Steppe Realty, who they fault for not changing the locks and making sure the house was vacant before new tenants moved in.

This isn't the first time someone has realized they have a secret housemate. Last September, a South Carolina woman named Tracy started getting freaked out when she heard bizarre noises in her attic. She thought "there was some poltergeist stuff going on," but it turned out to actually be her ex-boyfriend, who just got out of jail and thought setting up camp in her attic was a reasonable idea.

And in January, when a 73-year-old woman in Washington state called in a repairman to fix her furnace, the repairman discovered a stranger had been living in the crawl space under her house.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/18/students-find-man-living-_n_3947840.html?ir=Weird+News

• Like 1

I can believe that kinda stuff, when I was studying I rented a terrible, typical student house with a ramshackle basement that seemed to twist and turn for miles . There was a bizarre chalk outline of a human shape like those ones you get at crime scenes, a rusty trolley filled with ancient, withering books (always pronged at the back of my mind that they could be spellbooks or tomes of black magic stuff), weird sacks of what looked like talcum powder and odd wooden hanging figures like from the Blair Witch Project. I must have gone down there twice in the whole tenancy and made it my business to check the lock on the door every night. There were holes in the walls and sewer-like tunnels that didn't seem blocked off, if anything resided down there it was welcome as long as it kept below!

Found out the gas pipes down there had leaks too, miracle we didn't get blown up! Bills were sky high needless to say. Maybe a shady creature from the gas company wanted to ensure we kept the heating going haha.