Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Earth's temperature hasn't risen in 15 years.

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1    Aggie

Aggie

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:51 AM

World's top climate scientists told to 'cover up' the fact that the Earth's temperature hasn't risen for the last 15 years.
  • Leaked United Nations report reveals the world's temperature hasn't risen for the last 15 years.
  • Politicians have raised concerns about the final draft.
  • Fears that the findings will encourage deniers of man-made climate change.

Scientists working on the most authoritative study on climate change were urged to cover up the fact that the world’s temperature hasn’t risen for the last 15 years, it is claimed. A leaked copy of a United Nations report, compiled by hundreds of scientists, shows politicians in Belgium, Germany, Hungary and the United States raised concerns about the final draft.

Published next week, it is expected to address the fact that 1998 was the hottest year on record and world temperatures have not yet exceeded it, which scientists have so far struggled to explain.

Read more: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz2fQPNWDwr
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

No matter what happens....never stop believing in people.....never stop believing in love♥♥

#2    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 15,217 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:03 AM

How do they account for the fact every year we're told it's "the hottest summer on record" then?

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

You may think you're cool, but you'll never be as cool as Peter Capaldi with an electric guitar, on a tank, playing the Doctor Who theme.

#3    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 13,800 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:15 AM

View PostSir Wearer of Hats, on 20 September 2013 - 10:03 AM, said:

How do they account for the fact every year we're told it's "the hottest summer on record" then?
The last decade has recorded the hottest four years on record. Not bad for a flat temperature rise.

Where's that evidence for a UN cover up - more hollow gossip I suspect. All of the comments made by the Governments are genuine and appropriate to the data as it is, there is no urge to cover up the slow down in warming - just to place it in an appropriate context. Hunting for controversy and conspiracy where none exists. Such is the reporting from the Daily Mail.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Br Cornelius, 20 September 2013 - 10:18 AM.

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

#4    Aggie

Aggie

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:21 AM

View PostBr Cornelius, on 20 September 2013 - 10:15 AM, said:

Where's that evidence for a UN cover up - more hollow gossip I suspect.

That's what I thought too, where is the evidence? All the article says is:

But leaked documents seen by the Associated Press, yesterday revealed deep concerns among politicians about a lack of global warming over the past few years.
Germany called for the references to the slowdown in warming to be deleted, saying looking at a time span of just 10 or 15 years was ‘misleading’ and they should focus on decades or centuries.

http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz2fQPNWDwr

Edited by Aggie, 20 September 2013 - 10:21 AM.

No matter what happens....never stop believing in people.....never stop believing in love♥♥

#5    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,828 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:35 AM

The last summer was very hot.  But last winter was very cold.  Further, when you have hot short summers which we had last year and this year and cold long winters, last winter.  Your headed for an ice age.  Snow is not needed for this to happen.  The biggest desert on the planetbalso has the largest amount of ice.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#6    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,828 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:39 AM

View PostBr Cornelius, on 20 September 2013 - 10:15 AM, said:

The last decade has recorded the hottest four years on record. Not bad for a flat temperature rise.

Where's that evidence for a UN cover up - more hollow gossip I suspect. All of the comments made by the Governments are genuine and appropriate to the data as it is, there is no urge to cover up the slow down in warming - just to place it in an appropriate context. Hunting for controversy and conspiracy where none exists. Such is the reporting from the Daily Mail.

Br Cornelius

But, this is second such report. True the last one only went backten years.  But, two reports from different sources, with the same results.

But, it is always the same with liberals.  If a report says something they don't like then it must be a lie.

There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#7    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 13,800 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:56 AM

View Postdanielost, on 20 September 2013 - 10:39 AM, said:

But, this is second such report. True the last one only went backten years.  But, two reports from different sources, with the same results.

But, it is always the same with liberals.  If a report says something they don't like then it must be a lie.
No one is denying the Surface temperature record - but its not telling the story the Right Wing is wanting to hear so they are fluffing it up into something it isn't.
The hottest decade in the instrumental record has just passed and doesn't presage a new ice age - quite the opposite.

You should try to read a chart before announcing the new ice age daniel.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Br Cornelius, 20 September 2013 - 10:56 AM.

Robert Anton Wilson

#8    CRYSiiSx2

CRYSiiSx2

Paranormal Investigator

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:00 AM

Didn't the Earth used to be hotter way back?  Didn't we have an ice age once?  Earth goes through cycles.  Unless we find evidence the Earth warmed up because Mammoths sat around fires lighting their farts... I just believe the Earth goes through cycles.

Posted Image
NRA - PROTECT THE 2ND AMENDMENT
my twitter @sktm06

#9    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 13,800 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:02 AM

View PostCRYSiiSx2, on 20 September 2013 - 11:00 AM, said:

Didn't the Earth used to be hotter way back?  Didn't we have an ice age once?  Earth goes through cycles.  Unless we find evidence the Earth warmed up because Mammoths sat around fires lighting their farts... I just believe the Earth goes through cycles.
Cycles have causes - what is the natural cause of the current warming ?
It really simple - if you want to believe in cycles been the cause of the current warming - identify them or accept that your belief is as factual as belief in Father Christmas.

Br Cornelius

Robert Anton Wilson

#10    Gary Meadows

Gary Meadows

Like your uncle, only better

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:23 AM

View Postdanielost, on 20 September 2013 - 10:39 AM, said:

And it's always the same with republicans, if there is no evidence, insult a liberal.

~Life goes by pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while -and do whatever you want all the time -you can miss it.~

#11    CRYSiiSx2

CRYSiiSx2

Paranormal Investigator

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 12:21 PM

View PostBr Cornelius, on 20 September 2013 - 11:02 AM, said:

It really simple - if you want to believe in cycles been the cause of the current warming - identify them or accept that your belief is as factual as belief in Father Christmas.

Br Cornelius

Well instead of mammoths of course there are 7 billion people lighting their farts now.  Jeez some people...

Edited by CRYSiiSx2, 20 September 2013 - 12:22 PM.

Posted Image
NRA - PROTECT THE 2ND AMENDMENT
my twitter @sktm06

#12    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 13,800 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 20 September 2013 - 12:31 PM

View PostCRYSiiSx2, on 20 September 2013 - 12:21 PM, said:

Well instead of mammoths of course there are 7 billion people lighting their farts now.  Jeez some people...
So not a clue then ....

Br Cornelius

Robert Anton Wilson

#13    Doug1o29

Doug1o29

Telekinetic

• 7,395 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 03:55 PM

View PostAggie, on 20 September 2013 - 09:51 AM, said:

World's top climate scientists told to 'cover up' the fact that the Earth's temperature hasn't risen for the last 15 years.
That is just plain BS.  I have the temperature records right here on my desk.  Only by using the 1998 outlier to distort the figures can you reach that conclusion.

There are at least three natural cycles on which the warming curve is superimposed:  they have a seven-year period, a nine-year period and a sixteen-year period.  When these come into phase, they can hold temps down for seven or eight years.  But as surely as they come into phase, they also go out of phase.  If you're wondering why climate scientists don't buy the hype that warming has stopped, it is because "global warming" refers only human-caused warming.  Natural effects are subtracted out of the equation before the human-caused part is estimated.  And it hasn't slowed.

Temperatures have been rising since 2005.  That is the expected result of two (or more) cycles coming out of phase.

This whole "incident" smells like denialist hype.
Doug

If I have seen farther than other men, it is because I stood on the shoulders of giants. --Bernard de Chartres
The beginning of knowledge is the realization that one doesn't and cannot know everything.
Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance. --Hippocrates
Ignorance is not an opinion. --Adam Scott

#14    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,828 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:28 PM

View PostBr Cornelius, on 20 September 2013 - 11:02 AM, said:

Br Cornelius

This warming cycle began about ten thousand years ago. However the ump we're on started at the end of the 1800s.  After the world wide temp dropped in 1700s, the little ice age, and the 1800s, due to a valcanic eruption.

#15    Doug1o29

Doug1o29

Telekinetic

• 7,395 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:08 PM

View Postdanielost, on 20 September 2013 - 05:28 PM, said:

This warming cycle began about ten thousand years ago. However the ump we're on started at the end of the 1800s.  After the world wide temp dropped in 1700s, the little ice age, and the 1800s, due to a valcanic eruption.
Daniel:
There are probably dozens of cycles that affect climate.  The Chandler Wobble, the Bond Cycle, the solar cycle.  The NAO is cyclic; so is the PDO.  There is an unidentified sixteen-year cycle.  The Milankovitch cycles (There are three of them.) aren't the only ones the affect climate.  And like you say, volcanos add a random element (non-cyclic decay curve).

All you have to do is find the amplitude, period and offset for each of them, then subtract them out of your data.  Temperature rise is what is left over.  It's pretty straight-forward stuff.  These have all been quantified.  If you can't do the math yourself and/or lack access to the data, you can read up on it in climatology publications.

BTW:  Want to get paid to play in the mud?  I have a little project just getting started.  We have recovered 24 sawlogs from an old sawmill pond.  The mill went out of business in 1910, so the logs have been underwater for a hundred years.  Most of the trees were cut just as global temperatures reached a minimum, before the 20th-century warming got started.  I can get pith dates on 21 of them (The other three are hollow.).  This gives me an opportunity to develop a regionally standardized curve from the nineteenth century, before there was significant warming.  I can then compare that to current trees and develop a warming curve from the differences.  I already have 482 cores from 2007, 42 from 2009 and about 150 from 1980, so most of the collection work has already been done.  I'd like to recover a few more logs, though, and there are at least half of them still down there.  One tree dates to 1795 and two more to 1810.  Most are from about 1854.  I have a stack of fifteen "cookies" sitting in my office.  Getting crowded around here.
Doug

If I have seen farther than other men, it is because I stood on the shoulders of giants. --Bernard de Chartres
The beginning of knowledge is the realization that one doesn't and cannot know everything.
Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance. --Hippocrates
Ignorance is not an opinion. --Adam Scott

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users