Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

horrible thought on evolution

• Please log in to reply
216 replies to this topic

#1    ambelamba

ambelamba

Just an average guy who tries to be...NORMAL!!!!

• 3,345 posts

• It's good to be mildly skeptical to remain sane. But too much of it will make you a douche.

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:02 PM

Surely I believe that evolution explains a lot of things about life on earth.

Except for certain aspect of human origin.

We are too vile, selfish, inconsiderate, greedy, and plain evil to be the results of purely natural evolution. But if there's any design process involved with our orign, he must be one sick jerk because our mind has too many flaws.

They came with a Bible and their religion. stole our land, crushed our spirit, and now they tell us we should be thankful to the Lord for being saved.

-Chief Pontiac (1718-1769)

#2    darkmoonlady

darkmoonlady

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

• Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'-Shawshank Redemption/Life is a buffet and most poor suckers are starving to death-Auntie Mame

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:08 PM

POPULAR

Natural evolution is all those things and more. To think that humans are somehow outside of that process is to forget how it works in the first place. Look at the way that every species struggles for survival and you will see all the "horrible" things humans do every day that considered evil. If we had to walk out and kill every morning to survive and eat would that make us more horrible or more in tune with nature because that is what apex hunters like lions and killer whales do every day.

“The beauty of religious mania is that it has the power to explain everything. Once God (or Satan) is accepted as the first cause of everything which happens in the mortal world, nothing is left to chance …or change... logic can be happily tossed out the window. Religious mania is one of the few infallible ways of responding to the worlds vagaries, because it totally eliminates pure accident. To the true religious maniac, it’s ALL on purpose” – Stephen King, The Stand

#3    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,057 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:24 PM

Yeah, now "modern" society just "hunts" at Taco Bell, Subway, McDonalds, a favorite restaurant, a grocery store, etc...

Edited by pallidin, 20 September 2013 - 04:26 PM.

#4    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,420 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:26 PM

All living beings, no matter if plant, protozoa, bacteria or vertebrate are selfish. Most are not vile because they don't understand the concept (which is precondition to being vile). And every species tries to be dominant in its environment. Some are more successful than others though.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#5    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,221 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:33 PM

View Postambelamba, on 20 September 2013 - 04:02 PM, said:

We are too vile, selfish, inconsiderate, greedy, and plain evil to be the results of purely natural evolution. But if there's any design process involved with our orign, he must be one sick jerk because our mind has too many flaws.
Loathing doesn't solve anything.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#6    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Unsuitable for large vehicles

• 24,844 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:42 PM

Railing against God once again?

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#7    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

• 24,844 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:43 PM

Surely selfishness is an intrinsic part of Darwinian evolution, isn't that what it's all about? So it's not a design error by God, it's the natural result of evolution.

Edited by Colonel Rhuairidh, 20 September 2013 - 04:44 PM.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#8    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,130 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:03 PM

Much of our greed and selfishness can be explained as being derived from our need to survive.

#9    willowdreams

willowdreams

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

• Never let the facts get in the way of the truth- heard during an episode of 'Lie to Me' by Dr. Cal Lightman

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:37 PM

I do not think it is just humans.

The whole of evolution can be considered egotistical.. selfish.. survival of the fittest.

Just to explain it with something we ALL are familiar with.

ants

1. they wage war
2. they enslave other ants and will work them to death
3. they farmed long before humans

look them up

evolution is not about survival of the nicest species, it is about survival of the fittest, and there is no guarentee humans will be the winner in all this :P

Posted Image

#10    ambelamba

ambelamba

Just an average guy who tries to be...NORMAL!!!!

• 3,345 posts

• It's good to be mildly skeptical to remain sane. But too much of it will make you a douche.

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:37 PM

Honestly I have no idea where to point the finger.

They came with a Bible and their religion. stole our land, crushed our spirit, and now they tell us we should be thankful to the Lord for being saved.

-Chief Pontiac (1718-1769)

#11    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

• 24,844 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:41 PM

View Postwillowdreams, on 20 September 2013 - 05:37 PM, said:

I do not think it is just humans.

The whole of evolution can be considered egotistical.. selfish.. survival of the fittest.

Just to explain it with something we ALL are familiar with.

ants

1. they wage war
2. they enslave other ants and will work them to death
3. they farmed long before humans

look them up

evolution is not about survival of the nicest species, it is about survival of the fittest, and there is no guarentee humans will be the winner in all this :P
there's one crawling about on the screen now, in fact.

:unsure2:

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#12    willowdreams

willowdreams

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

• Never let the facts get in the way of the truth- heard during an episode of 'Lie to Me' by Dr. Cal Lightman

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:44 PM

View PostColonel Rhuairidh, on 20 September 2013 - 05:41 PM, said:

there's one crawling about on the screen now, in fact.

:unsure2:

yup.. i managed to capture one ant and enslave it to be my sig...

survival of the fittest darlin.. survival of the fittest!

Posted Image

#13    HerNibs

HerNibs

Grand Duchess Anaesthesia

• 12,187 posts

• Endless repetition does not make something true.

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:53 PM

This made me a bit sad.  :(  I find the opposite to be true.  We humans have evolved into beings that better themselves all the time.  Without (or in spite of) any deity giving us a helping hand.  People live longer, diseases have been cured and many more will be.  We have more of an awareness of the world around us.  We've made steps (small for now) towards equality for all, trying to feed, educate and fee oppressed people.  (Still a way to go but we are going.)  There is a bigger push towards "love thy neighbor" today than I have ever seen in my life.  

Of course we have the lunatic fundies that seem to get too much press but in my view, for every crazy negative there are tons of positive shouting them down.

Just my thoughts.

Nibs

Just because it is a mystery to YOU doesn't make it unexplained.

STORM - a must watch - caution, some profanity and may cause you to experience reason.

#14    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,799 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:55 PM

View Postwillowdreams, on 20 September 2013 - 05:44 PM, said:

yup.. i managed to capture one ant and enslave it to be my sig...

survival of the fittest darlin.. survival of the fittest!
Poor guy seems to be ...well.. quite mad..

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#15    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,221 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 20 September 2013 - 06:20 PM

View PostHerNibs, on 20 September 2013 - 05:53 PM, said:

This made me a bit sad.  :(  I find the opposite to be true.  We humans have evolved into beings that better themselves all the time.  Without (or in spite of) any deity giving us a helping hand.  People live longer, diseases have been cured and many more will be.  We have more of an awareness of the world around us.  We've made steps (small for now) towards equality for all, trying to feed, educate and fee oppressed people.  (Still a way to go but we are going.)  There is a bigger push towards "love thy neighbor" today than I have ever seen in my life.  

Of course we have the lunatic fundies that seem to get too much press but in my view, for every crazy negative there are tons of positive shouting them down.

Just my thoughts.

Nibs
This is true.... If all animals are naturly selfish and primal, human beings are the only ones to evolve to the point where they can try ( with varying degrees of success) to not be. Will this be our undoing? Time will tell.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users