Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What is The Black Knight?

CRYSiiSx2

I was wondering what exactly it is. I've seen websites that claim it's just a meteor and of course some that say it's a 10,000 year old alien satellite. I have to admit, it doesn't really look like what you would think an asteroid would. I know most people here are skeptics, but to think the government and NASA wouldn't hide some things from us is just, well...

I personally think it's probably just a captured meteor. It seems as if it wasn't a meteor, NASA would have made a trip to it by now. There is always the high possibility they did and didn't tell us, so who knows. So anyway,

CloseupBlackKnight.jpg

nasa%2Bufo%2Bblack%2Bnight.jpg

• Like 1

Ask the same question in the UFO/ET section and you will probably get a different answer, but you asked it in the science section, so the answer you will get will be a logical, rational, but somewhat more boring one.

Put simply the Black Knight does not exist.

Here is an answer from an the Armagh Planetarium's website:

Black Knight is a jumble of completely unrelated stories; reports of unusual science observations, authors promoting fringe ideas, classified spy satellites and people over-interpreting photos. These ingredients have chopped up, stirred together and stewed on the internet to one rambling and inconsistent dollop of myth.

That is a quote from the article's conclusions. The full article can be read here: The Truth About the Black Knight Satellite Mystery.

• Like 3

Honestly that second photo looks like a still out of Man of Steel

The images are genuine enough. They are from the STS-88 shuttle mission. What they do not show, however, is a 13,000 year old alien satellite. It is just a small piece of debris close to the shuttle, probably a piece of insulation blamcket.

• Like 2

dang...and here I was excited to kneel before Zod

Don't let me stop you.

There is more to the story. It seems the photographs purportedly of the Black Knight are not of the original Black Knight object at all. The photographs of the OP from NASA were taken from the space shuttle mission STS-88 in 1998, reportedly of a lost thermal blanket.

The original Black Knight sightings occurred in 1960 by U.S. Navy radar designed to track enemy spy satellites. The object's origin was reported as unknown. However, in 1960 the CIA was launching secretly the Corona spy satellites in polar orbit. One of the Corona satellite's cameras was lost, and this lost camera may be the original Black Knight object detected by radar in 1960.

Also, the original Black Knight object was tracked in a polar orbit, and as the space shuttle was traveling in a semi-equatorial orbit, an object traveling in a polar orbit would pass the space shuttle too quickly for it to be photographed.

So what Black Knight object are we discussing? The above information was taken mainly from:http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4365

I do not find sufficient support that it is anything else than "space junk" .....

Edited by DBunker

debunked a few months back, and yes, its probably part of the Corona

My input from the old thread:

quote: "It turns out that all the bits of history making up the story of Black Knight are unrelated. The phrase "black knight" is so common that I was unable to determine when that name first became a part of the story. It seems improbable that the name would have come from any spacefaring nations at the time, as it's such a common name and has probably been assigned to any number of real projects.

From 1958 through 1965, the United Kingdom launched 22 rockets in a program named Black Knight, intended to test various re-entry vehicles. But Black Knight never put anything into orbit; indeed, its second stage fired on the way down, not the way up, to better stress the re-entry vehicle. Take that name out of the equation, and all the links of the chain fall apart. All the events said to be connected to the Black Knight satellite were well documented on their own, and none (at the time) made any mention of such a name.

Nicola Tesla did indeed pick up rhythmic radio signals in 1899, and he did believe they came from space. Today we believe he was correct, and that what he picked up were pulsars, giant deep space sources of pulsing radio signals that were formally discovered in 1968. As pulsars were unknown in Tesla's day, he did his best to explain what he thought they might be: intelligent but undeciphered signals.

When Duncan Lunan did his translation of the LDE data in 1973 and came up with the star map, he never had any thought of Black Knight or any other strange polar satellite. In fact his interpretation was that the LDEs were coming from the Earth's L5 Lagrangian point. L4 and L5 are two points along the moon's orbit, one 60° ahead of it and the other 60° behind, which are stable and where gravimetric effects from the Earth and Moon will hold an object in steady orbit. Moreover, Lunan later acknowledged that his method was not only unscientific but that he'd made outright errors, and retracted it. So despite today's pop-culture story, there never has been any reasonable interpretation of anything connecting Epsilon Boötis to either a mysterious satellite or to a date of 12,600 years ago.

Those 1954 newspaper reports of two satellites in orbit? It was merely tongue-in-cheek reporting of the wild claims of a UFO crank trying to sell a book. The Air Force officer cited was merely a guy who had seen a UFO once, but in no way corroborated the idea of unknown satellites orbiting Earth. Nothing to do with the alleged Black Knight.

The most interesting part of the story was in 1960, when the Discoverer satellites were being launched. Secretary of the Air Force Dudley Sharp told newspapers that this new mystery object was probably the second casing from Discoverer VIII, the twin of the known piece they were already tracking, as it was the right size and in about the right place. This was soon confirmed. TIME magazine even reported the identification, but since a mundane explanation is not as exciting as a mystery object, it was back page news.

And there's another interesting footnote about the Discoverer program. In 1992, a Central Intelligence Agency program called Corona was declassified, and revealed that the Discoverer rockets were not about launching guys into space at all, but were actually carrying Corona spy satellites. The reason to use a polar orbit is that the craft eventually flies over every part of the Earth, and it's possible to photograph everything; unlike conventional semi-equatorial orbits that can only cover within a certain range of latitude

black-knight-satelite.jpg

more pics and former thread

http://www.unexplain...ic=248129&st=45

Edited by seeder
  • Like 1