Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The fossil fish that's a serial monogamist

latimeria chalumnae comoros islands

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 33,479 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:38 PM

New Scientist said:

We thought they died out 400 million years ago till one popped up off the coast of the Comoros Islands in 1938. Their two unusual front fins show they are closely related to the first fish to clamber onto land around 400 million years ago. Now, coelacanths, dubbed "living fossils" since their unexpected reappearance, have sprung another surprise: they are serial monogamists.

Coelacanths are enormous, bottom-dwelling fish that lurk between 100 and 200 metres beneath the surface, on the rocky sides of volcanic islands in the Indian Ocean. The 1.5-metre-long giants are best known from sightings in the Comoros Islands, but have also been spotted off the eastern and south-eastern coasts of Africa. They spend their days in cavities inside submarine volcanic rocks, and only venture out at night to feed – mostly on squid, octopus, cuttlefish and other fish.

"We know hardly anything about their reproduction," says Kathrin Lampert of Ruhr University Bochum in Germany. What is known is that their gestation period is an impressive three years and they bear live young.

Read more

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users