Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

NASA’s Plutonium Problem -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 14,166 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 22 September 2013 - 03:47 PM

NASA’s Plutonium Problem Could End Deep-Space Exploration

quote:

"None of this would be possible without the spacecraft’s three batteries filled with plutonium-238. In fact, Most of what humanity knows about the outer planets came back to Earth on plutonium power. Cassini’s ongoing exploration of Saturn, Galileo’s trip to Jupiter, Curiosity’s exploration of the surface of Mars, and the 2015 flyby of Pluto by the New Horizons spacecraft are all fueled by the stuff. The characteristics of this metal’s radioactive decay make it a super-fuel. More importantly, there is no other viable option. Solar power is too weak, chemical batteries don’t last, nuclear fission systems are too heavy. So, we depend on plutonium-238, a fuel largely acquired as by-product of making nuclear weapons.

But there’s a problem: We’ve almost run out.

“We’ve got enough to last to the end of this decade. That’s it,” said Steve Johnson, a nuclear chemist at Idaho National Laboratory. And it’s not just the U.S. reserves that are in jeopardy. The entire planet’s stores are nearly depleted.

http://www.wired.com...um-238-problem/

It wasn’t the miners who got rich; it was the people selling picks and shovels. Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#2    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:15 PM

Geeez I hope they can figure it out

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#3    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 14,166 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 23 September 2013 - 01:08 PM

View PostReaperS_ParadoX, on 22 September 2013 - 06:15 PM, said:

Geeez I hope they can figure it out

Hopefully they will find a way to continue though, fingers crossed anyway! But it is a surprising story that Id never thought Id hear

It wasn’t the miners who got rich; it was the people selling picks and shovels. Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#4    pallidin

pallidin

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,099 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:08 PM

Yeah, good article, especially if one does a full read. I didn't know half the stuff they discussed.

#5    highdesert50

highdesert50

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:04 PM

Are we now feeling the weight of humanity? I have wondered when that time would come that resources become focused on simply sustaining the growing number of humans on this planet. Does a civilization have but a brief moment in time to explore and colonize regions beyond?

#6    Sundew

Sundew

Poltergeist

• 2,508 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:36 AM

Maybe Iran will sell us some, wink, wink.

I remember when Cassini was launched, a local (liberal) college held a midnight cry-in/whine-a-thon because it was fueled with plutonium. Well, personally I have enjoy the photos of Saturn, but you can't please everyone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users