Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 2 votes

Society is ill-not individual

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 10:04 PM

For many of us, society has become increasingly alienating, isolating and insane, and earning a buck means more degrees, compliance, ass-kissing, ****-eating, and inauthenticity. So, we want to rebel. However, many of us feel hopeless about the possibility of either our own escape from societal oppression or that political activism can create societal change. So, many of us, especially young Americans, rebel by what is commonly called mental illness.

http://www.alternet....tion?paging=off

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#2    dlonewolf85

dlonewolf85

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 243 posts

• I'm not a bad boy,

But just misunderstood!!

Posted 22 September 2013 - 10:11 PM

Wait, did I get it right? Is it being implied that being rebellious is in fact, a form of psychosis? And I thought that was merely a personality trait in people.

∂ Ѡοɭ ʄ85

#3    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,405 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 22 September 2013 - 10:49 PM

View Postdlonewolf85, on 22 September 2013 - 10:11 PM, said:

Wait, did I get it right? Is it being implied that being rebellious is in fact, a form of psychosis? And I thought that was merely a personality trait in people.
Heaven help the world if we all become obedient and meek and controllable.  Still, rebelliousness and stubbornness are also bad.  A middle course between the two applies, as it does in most virtue/vice situations.

#4    Mikko-kun

Mikko-kun

New life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts

• Observation, individual resourcefulness... what would we be without them?

Posted 22 September 2013 - 10:53 PM

I dont like middle courses.

Isn't it always a case in society that you must act in a certain way or you'll be seen as deranged, lunatic or unfitting? The definition has just broadened I guess. Still, it's a matter of opinion. I think anyone who can't live a life of their own is being consumed by some form of lunacy.

I've been born again 31,8,2014 approximately 21:35 local time. A moment free of clutter in the mind, emancipating myself like an escapist, allowing myself to breathe life in a stronger, less physical level... though it does resonate to physical world. It's the oomph.

#5    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,405 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 22 September 2013 - 10:56 PM

I see -- you choose to take the middle way with respect to taking the middle way.

#6    Beany

Beany

Government Agent

• 3,343 posts

• If music is the most universal language just think of me as one whole note. Nikki Giovanni

Posted 22 September 2013 - 11:20 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 22 September 2013 - 10:49 PM, said:

Heaven help the world if we all become obedient and meek and controllable.  Still, rebelliousness and stubbornness are also bad.  A middle course between the two applies, as it does in most virtue/vice situations.

Yeah, like that will happen any time soon, the whole world becoming obedient, meek, and controllable. I think there are times when some rebelliousness & stubbornness are needed, it's not the qualities that are deplorable, it's how & when & why they're deployed.  And none of us are forced into conformity, it's a choice. We may not like the consequences of non-conformity, but we may like even less the consequences of conformity. Victims of society, oppressed, helpless to determine our fate or powerless to build a life of value and meaning? Only if we fail to exercise our own personal power and lack the courage to set our own course. Will everyone approve of the choices we make? Of course not. So what, who cares? Their opinions mean nothing in comparison to how we hold ourselves and whether at the end of the day we have lived according to our own code of conduct and continued to honor that which has value to us.

#7    Mike G

Mike G

Psychic Spy

• 1,174 posts

• Skeptical of the skeptics.

Posted 22 September 2013 - 11:32 PM

View Postdlonewolf85, on 22 September 2013 - 10:11 PM, said:

Well geez, look at where that link he posted leads to... an alternate science website. Hardly the place to take seriously. I highly doubt any clinical professional would institutionalize a teeanger who wants to paint their finger nails black or dye their hair pink.

Posted Image

#8    Mikko-kun

Mikko-kun

New life

• 1,477 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 11:46 PM

View PostMike G, on 22 September 2013 - 11:32 PM, said:

Well geez, look at where that link he posted leads to... an alternate science website. Hardly the place to take seriously. I highly doubt any clinical professional would institutionalize a teeanger who wants to paint their finger nails black or dye their hair pink.

Did you read the article? It talked about depression and other painful states of mind. You'd have to be a retard to think dying your hair or having a different make-up is a sign of depression :no: it's a choise of style. It's no wonder if you'd feel depressed after knowing you've eaten tortured animal meat all your life so far and can't do jack to change it, or that you have only one kind of future after you've decided your career and can stop dreaming and just do the grind till you're retired or dead. That kinda things.

I've been born again 31,8,2014 approximately 21:35 local time. A moment free of clutter in the mind, emancipating myself like an escapist, allowing myself to breathe life in a stronger, less physical level... though it does resonate to physical world. It's the oomph.

#9    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,405 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 22 September 2013 - 11:51 PM

I see doing things like dying your fingernails black as a sign of seeking to be noticed.

#10    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 4,121 posts

• We have problems because we stray from what is innocent and pure.

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:01 AM

From my childhood I considered being rebellious and stubborn an essential virtue, a behavior that sustained my feelings of self-worth and individuality. I watched others conform like mindless robots and couldn't understand why. I stood my ground and objected.

I mean, look around, conformity is what's got us in this mess.

I must say, I've conformed to the norms of society just enough to play the game and profit from the game, but not enough to become consumed by the game, to become the game itself.

In my view, society has become sterile and non-organic, a society based on phoney values that creates phoney citizens who are frustrated by their own induced phoniness. Why cooperate with a society that is indifferent and opposed to the qualities that make us human?

This is a cause of mental imbalance. I don't see many happy, frolicking, celebrating people in my daily adventures in my home town. All I see are a lot of depressed-looking survivors.

The acceptance of authority does not lead to intelligence.
A mind untouched by thought...the end of knowledge.
My credentials: http://www.unexplain...ic=87935&st=225

#11    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,405 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:09 AM

I don't think conformity is the problem.  Conformity would serve to create a boring world, and that is not what we have.

#12    Beany

Beany

Government Agent

• 3,343 posts

• If music is the most universal language just think of me as one whole note. Nikki Giovanni

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:14 AM

We are society, since it is composed of individuals. And that is precisely why we can change it for the better. We all know what is wrong with it. What interests me are solutions, what actions we can take as individuals to bring about needed change. Or are we just sitting back and letting someone else do the work? Or helping maintain the status quo by wringing our hands and saying there is nothing we can do about it?

#13    Aggie

Aggie

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:46 AM

Voodoo, you say "Society is ill, not the individuals"...but, don't individuals make society?

No matter what happens....never stop believing in people.....never stop believing in love♥♥

#14    Mikko-kun

Mikko-kun

New life

• 1,477 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:46 PM

View PostBeany, on 23 September 2013 - 06:14 AM, said:

We are society, since it is composed of individuals. And that is precisely why we can change it for the better. We all know what is wrong with it. What interests me are solutions, what actions we can take as individuals to bring about needed change. Or are we just sitting back and letting someone else do the work? Or helping maintain the status quo by wringing our hands and saying there is nothing we can do about it?

This would get a double-like from me if I could. Focusing more on solutions than problems can prevent depression and anxiety, because there's no need to feel hopeless if you can truly believe you can make a change.

But you should separate making a change to society from making a chance to your own life. One's dream is just another vision, idea or possibility for another. My dream is to have a farm and winter greenhouse well-running but can't expect everyone to share that dream. One size just doesn't fit for everyone. And what's the point in making the world an ideal place for you, instead of just focusing more on your life and just nudging the things you think are good in the world, forward?

#15    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,928 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 23 September 2013 - 03:12 PM

The real illness I see in society is "tolerance deficit disorder".  So many will go into a rage of indignation if others don't see the world the way they do - I mean, really - how dare they be a democrat or republican or communist or atheist or religious, on and on and on it drones and more seems to get added into the "how dare they" bag each day, it's literally bursting at the seams.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users