Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Bigfoots and tool usage.

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#16    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 17,231 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:04 AM

If we assume bigfoot is real, naturally they would be tool users and naturally they would take tools from humans that were better then the stone and wood that they had previously. I would imagine that BF would pick up such a tool, or steal it, like Ken suggests, and then drop it somewhere when they are done, miles away, never to be recovered.

I know personnally that I've found lots of tools and bits of junk out in the woods. But, it actually is not surprising considering that most of Oregon has been logged at one time or another.

As to making their own tools, I'd imagine that BF does make temporary tools. But since they have no access to fabrication sources, that they would only use the natural materials they can find in the outdoors. Which would be very inferior to even a makeshift tool taken from a campground or garage.

Tool hunting may be the reason that BFs wander into areas that are inhabited by humans. If a BF can't find an axe or knife in the woods, he might head down into the residential areas (specifically trailer parks for some reason) to find what he wants.

Maybe this is why at least one metal tent peg seems to disappear everytime we go camping? :w00t:

Edited by DieChecker, 25 September 2013 - 01:06 AM.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#17    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:39 AM

These are things that have come to mind after discussions with many of you here. I'm beginning to wonder if it's possible that I've been around these creatures in the past and had no idea that I was. Now I'm wondering if maybe my own arrogance of my woodsman skills didn't blind me to what they were doing, or were they simply playing by another set of rule that I couldn't......and still apparently, can't seem to get my head around.

I've seen stick in odd patterns laying on the floor of forests and blew them off as random tree fall, but to another Bigfoot they may have communicated some message. "There's a stupid human wandering around today, be careful." Or, "Wait till he's asleep and we'll get some of his stuff."

I just now find myself wondering if I simply didn't get it?

#18    EnderOTD

EnderOTD

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:50 AM

View Postrustygh, on 24 September 2013 - 12:54 AM, said:

This is simply the OP'r trying to push ideas passing right by Bigfoot doesn't exist.  I reject that idea, there is no proof of Bigfoot. Your story is simply humans ripping you off, or you being neglectful.  :)
I would have to disagree

#19    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:54 AM

There are other possibilities, Bigfoot isn't the only answer.

He's expressing an opinion and he's welcome to do so. I can't simply discount neglect or a random act of stupidity just because it was me doing it.

#20    HeathenRoyalty

HeathenRoyalty

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 329 posts

• "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." -Hunter S. Thompson

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:11 AM

View PostDieChecker, on 25 September 2013 - 01:04 AM, said:

If we assume bigfoot is real, naturally they would be tool users and naturally they would take tools from humans that were better then the stone and wood that they had previously. I would imagine that BF would pick up such a tool, or steal it, like Ken suggests, and then drop it somewhere when they are done, miles away, never to be recovered.

I know personnally that I've found lots of tools and bits of junk out in the woods. But, it actually is not surprising considering that most of Oregon has been logged at one time or another.

As to making their own tools, I'd imagine that BF does make temporary tools. But since they have no access to fabrication sources, that they would only use the natural materials they can find in the outdoors. Which would be very inferior to even a makeshift tool taken from a campground or garage.

Tool hunting may be the reason that BFs wander into areas that are inhabited by humans. If a BF can't find an axe or knife in the woods, he might head down into the residential areas (specifically trailer parks for some reason) to find what he wants.

Maybe this is why at least one metal tent peg seems to disappear everytime we go camping? :w00t:

I never understood the missing tent peg either.

#21    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:48 AM

Now there is another thing to consider. If a Bigfoot went to the trouble to steal an ax or a knife or anything else really, wouldn't it make sense that they would keep it? I mean why discard it? Seems they would covet it as a treasure.

Maybe they do or maybe they keep them in a cache, squirreled away. I don't recall any reports of Bigfoots carrying spears or with packs on their backs.

I suppose they might just give them the boot when they were done with, but that seems like an odd sort of thing to do.

Of course one wonders if they were tool users then why haven't they adopted the use of fire?

#22    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,655 posts

• "I'm an optimistic, don't know." Onslow

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:17 PM

Maybe that erotic "dream" of hot sultry breath on your neck while sleeping under the stars, wasn't.

You don't think a creature so intelligent and "like us" would be more curious about us as creatures, and try to interact with us. Rather than simply, only and repeatedly stealing trinkets or tools or candy bars?
I would, at least after a thousand years.

Keep your eyes wide open and don't run!

P.S. Just to be clear, because sometimes I am not. I do not believe...
in the existence of a large previously unknown undiscovered hairy biped roaming North America.
But I like to hear the accounts, read the books, watch the shows, discuss and argue about the phenomenon.

#23    Stardrive

Stardrive

Resident Bass Guitarist

• 3,155 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:17 PM

They may not have a need for fire to cook, and a fire would singe thier hair (or worse),  if used for warmth. And it could be they have a natural fear of fire. Who knows.

Posted Image

#24    Stardrive

Stardrive

Resident Bass Guitarist

• 3,155 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:24 PM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 25 September 2013 - 01:17 PM, said:

Our ancestors settled this land just a few hundred years ago. And look what happened to the natives since our arrival. Just sayin.....

Posted Image

#25    Phaeton80

Phaeton80

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

• "Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music.."

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:31 PM

http://www.youtube.c...N?feature=watch

Any opinions on the legitimacy of this material?

#26    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,655 posts

• "I'm an optimistic, don't know." Onslow

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:48 PM

View PostStardrive, on 25 September 2013 - 01:24 PM, said:

Our ancestors settled this land just a few hundred years ago. And look what happened to the natives since our arrival. Just sayin.....

But we know all about the Native Americans. Where they lived, how they lived. We interacted with them. Shed their blood. They taught us how to survive. We have evidence/artifacts of their existence, DNA evidence (descendants) even clear photographs.
BF would have integrated with Native Americans before the White Man came along for what they could offer BF too.

I am responding to the OP, about BF and its possible use of human tools/belongings. And imo, they would have been more integrated to and with us by now, socialized to humans from the early Native Americans to today.

If they have learned we are a valuable and easy source of tools, foodstuffs (crops, livestock) etc. why all this stealth and stealing for so long? Other animals become bolder, we humans become bolder too, when someone else has something we want.

Edited by QuiteContrary, 25 September 2013 - 03:52 PM.

Keep your eyes wide open and don't run!

P.S. Just to be clear, because sometimes I am not. I do not believe...
in the existence of a large previously unknown undiscovered hairy biped roaming North America.
But I like to hear the accounts, read the books, watch the shows, discuss and argue about the phenomenon.

#27    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 17,231 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:41 PM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 25 September 2013 - 01:17 PM, said:

Maybe that erotic "dream" of hot sultry breath on your neck while sleeping under the stars, wasn't.

You don't think a creature so intelligent and "like us" would be more curious about us as creatures, and try to interact with us. Rather than simply, only and repeatedly stealing trinkets or tools or candy bars?
Not if their interactions with humans for the last 20,000+ years were not good. Supposedly there were several (human) ethnic groups that came to the Americas, but eventually only one remained. Perhaps the Native Americans ancestors were not gentle savages, but removed other human (oid) peoples as competition?

View Postkeninsc, on 25 September 2013 - 04:48 AM, said:

Now there is another thing to consider. If a Bigfoot went to the trouble to steal an ax or a knife or anything else really, wouldn't it make sense that they would keep it? I mean why discard it? Seems they would covet it as a treasure.

Maybe they do or maybe they keep them in a cache, squirreled away. I don't recall any reports of Bigfoots carrying spears or with packs on their backs.

I suppose they might just give them the boot when they were done with, but that seems like an odd sort of thing to do.

Of course one wonders if they were tool users then why haven't they adopted the use of fire?
That is true only if you are looking from a modern Human point of view. Perhaps they don't think of the future as much as humans do?

My kids do much the same. They'll use a toy or tool and put it down when they are done and then forget where it is and look for another toy or tool.

Edited by DieChecker, 25 September 2013 - 05:17 PM.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#28    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,387 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:43 PM

View PostDieChecker, on 25 September 2013 - 01:04 AM, said:

Keep in mind that ancient peoples made all sorts of stone and wood based tools without having fabrication sources.  And if early man could figure out how to sharpen an edge on a rock and tie it to a stick, then why hasn't Bigfoot figured this out given his alleged intelligence?  Add to that his size and strength advantages and I have to wonder why he simply throws small rocks at folks instead of something along the lines of the Galileo 7 episode of Star Trek where giant Bigfoot-like creatures were hurling huge spears at the away team.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#29    Stardrive

Stardrive

Resident Bass Guitarist

• 3,155 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:47 PM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 25 September 2013 - 03:48 PM, said:

I am responding to the OP, about BF and its possible use of human tools/belongings. And imo, they would have been more integrated to and with us by now, socialized to humans from the early Native Americans to today.
Then to keep things on topic in regards to the OP, and in the spirit of good discussion, I'll address this part of your post. The OP had a small handaxe that missing overnight while he slept. Is it a fact that native americans used hand axes as a tool? And If said creature did exist would it recognize it as a familiar tool and take it? 3 possible explainations to the dissapearence of the handaxe are:

1) it was simply misplaced and ken forgot where he had put it. Thought he put it in the tree stump, but moved it and forgot where he moved it. In other words, lost track of it.

2) A human stumbled onto his camp while he was asleep and stole it.

3) (and most unlikley) An undiscovered primate stumbled onto his camp while he was asleep and stole it.

Posted Image

#30    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 17,231 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:33 PM

View PostRafterman, on 25 September 2013 - 04:43 PM, said:

Keep in mind that ancient peoples made all sorts of stone and wood based tools without having fabrication sources.  And if early man could figure out how to sharpen an edge on a rock and tie it to a stick, then why hasn't Bigfoot figured this out given his alleged intelligence?  Add to that his size and strength advantages and I have to wonder why he simply throws small rocks at folks instead of something along the lines of the Galileo 7 episode of Star Trek where giant Bigfoot-like creatures were hurling huge spears at the away team.
Throwing small rocks scares things away. Attacking with spears would result in humans attacking back, in greater numbers and greater technology. Humans are aggressive that way. Like killer bees. Bigfoots would have over tens of thousands of years of interaction have come to understand that and thus would just throw little rocks.

I'd not be surprised that bigfoot tools of natural materials are overlooked.

Though to be fair, I've never come across a large branch with deer blood all over it, or found deer bones that show signs of being stabbed with a giant spear, or clubbed with a giant branch. So bigfoot hunting tools (which would be likely to be found if bigfoot was a hunter. And would be harder to miss then just a branch or stone) appear to be undocumented entirely, even among the folklore, AFAIK.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users