Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Richard III Leicester tomb row

richard iii leicester tomb

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 34,219 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:25 AM

Funds withdrawn in Richard III Leicester tomb row

www.bbc.co.uk said:

Members of the Richard III Society have withdrawn funding meant for the king's tomb at Leicester Cathedral because they are unhappy with the design.

The cathedral's plans were unveiled last week with the chairman of the society describing them as "inspired".

However, Philippa Langley, who sparked the search for the remains, said it was unfit for a "medieval warrior king"
Posted Image Read more...

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#2    Antilles

Antilles

NCC-1701

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:31 AM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 24 September 2013 - 01:25 AM, said:

Funds withdrawn in Richard III Leicester tomb row

I think the Richard III society needs to get over itself.

#3    Mr.United_Nations

Mr.United_Nations

hi

• 9,304 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:52 AM

Leave him where he died, disrespectful.

#4    Ealdwita

Ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 5,275 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:27 AM

I must admit, I'm not particularly impressed with it myself, especially when sums of money like £40,000 are being bandied about!. It looks like it was designed by the same conman who gave us the Princess Diana Memorial Drainage System!

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#5    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 7,570 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:42 AM

I think either a flat slab type, or one with a traditional effigy ontop similar to this one...

Posted Image

I don't think Richard (Or very many others from his day) would be impressed with the design as is...

#6    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 34,219 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:59 AM

View PostThe New Richard Nixon, on 24 September 2013 - 07:52 AM, said:

Leave him where he died, disrespectful.

That is not an option, since he was not buried where he died to begin with. He was buried in, what at the time were, consecrated grounds. However that church has long since disappeared.

To leave a King of England buried beneath a council car park, that WOULD be disrespectful.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#7    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 34,219 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 24 September 2013 - 02:10 PM

View PostAntilles, on 24 September 2013 - 07:31 AM, said:

I think the Richard III society needs to get over itself.

To be fair, if you are going to give £40,000 to a project you should at least approve of it. It is, after all, their money to do with as they see best.

If (as is the case here) the members, who contributed the funds in the first place, disapprove of the tomb then do you not think it would be undemocratic for the Richard III Society to ignore those members and contribute the funds in defiance of those wishes?

Furthermore the Richard III Society has it's own future to think of. If it's own membership disapprove of the way the funds are spent then there is always the possibility that some/many will leave.

Posted Image
Click on button

#8    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 7,570 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:13 PM

It might have been nice if they had advertised for designs, let the society select the three best and then let the British people vote on the best design... After all he was the King of England...
Not the king of the Richard III Society

Also tagged with richard iii, leicester, tomb

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users