Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

How much longer can Earth support life ?


  • Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1    UM-Bot

UM-Bot

    News, media and articles

  • 6,196 posts
  • Joined:21 Mar 2001
  • Gender:Male

  • Beep Boop

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:12 PM

Those concerned about the end of the world needn't worry, our planet is likely to last for a long time.

Quote

Talk of the impending demise of all life on Earth reached fever pitch in the run up to December 2012, but once it was clear that the end of the Mayan calendar didn\'t translate to the coming of the apocalypse some people were left scratching their heads as to exactly how long we have left.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...th-support-life

This is an official comment thread for a main site news story, article or video.
Please keep comments civil and on topic.
Thank you.

#2    Doug1o29

Doug1o29

    Telekinetic

  • Member
  • 7,388 posts
  • Joined:01 Aug 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:oklahoma

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:16 PM

View PostUM-Bot, on 24 September 2013 - 01:12 PM, said:

Those concerned about the end of the world needn't worry, our planet is likely to last for a long time.
Assuming that the methane gun doesn't do it in the next 200-500 years, there is nothing we know of that has anything other than a miniscule chance of doing it.
Doug

If I have seen farther than other men, it is because I stood on the shoulders of giants. --Bernard de Chartres
The beginning of knowledge is the realization that one doesn't and cannot know everything.
Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance. --Hippocrates
Ignorance is not an opinion. --Adam Scott

#3    questionmark

questionmark

    Cinicus Magnus

  • Member
  • 39,757 posts
  • Joined:26 Jun 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Greece and Des Moines, IA

  • In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:21 PM

View PostDoug1o29, on 24 September 2013 - 07:16 PM, said:

Assuming that the methane gun doesn't do it in the next 200-500 years, there is nothing we know of that has anything other than a miniscule chance of doing it.
Doug

But then the planet would still be around, and all elements in place to give evolution a new chance at getting it right.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#4    DieChecker

DieChecker

    I'm a Rogue Scholar

  • Member
  • 23,867 posts
  • Joined:21 Nov 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portland, Oregon, USA

  • Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:35 PM

From the Front Page article.

Quote

we will have either developed well beyond the need for a single planet to live on or we will have already been wiped out long before any such considerations become an issue.

Humans might die out but life likely will survive till the Earth is engulfed by the Sun.

Even nukes, or asteroids are not going to kill off the deep Earth microbes that live off radiation alone.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#5    Doug1o29

Doug1o29

    Telekinetic

  • Member
  • 7,388 posts
  • Joined:01 Aug 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:oklahoma

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:01 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 24 September 2013 - 07:21 PM, said:

But then the planet would still be around, and all elements in place to give evolution a new chance at getting it right.
Maybe.  Depends on how hot it gets.  Anyway, if all life does go extinct, we'll never know it.
Doug

If I have seen farther than other men, it is because I stood on the shoulders of giants. --Bernard de Chartres
The beginning of knowledge is the realization that one doesn't and cannot know everything.
Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance. --Hippocrates
Ignorance is not an opinion. --Adam Scott

#6    questionmark

questionmark

    Cinicus Magnus

  • Member
  • 39,757 posts
  • Joined:26 Jun 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Greece and Des Moines, IA

  • In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:08 PM

View PostDoug1o29, on 24 September 2013 - 08:01 PM, said:

Maybe.  Depends on how hot it gets.  Anyway, if all life does go extinct, we'll never know it.
Doug

There is life in ocean floor Geysers. I doubt the atmosphere will ever get that hot.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#7    moonshadow60

moonshadow60

    Astral Projection

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  • Joined:17 Dec 2006
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Maine

  • "There comes a time when you have to choose between turning the page or just closing the book"... James Wilson

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:22 PM

Quote

Assuming that the methane gun doesn't do it in the next 200-500 years, there is nothing we know of that has anything other than a miniscule chance of doing it.  

As long as nothing destroys this planet in the next 20 years or so, won't matter to me.  I will be gone by the end of that time, or maybe before.  At my age, very short spans of years are what I think of.


#8    Technocrat

Technocrat

    Apparition

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Joined:02 Apr 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ireland

  • "In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog." Anon.

    "Art is what you can get away with." Andy Warhol.

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:08 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 24 September 2013 - 07:21 PM, said:

But then the planet would still be around, and all elements in place to give evolution a new chance at getting it right.

Evolution is a false doctrine that can not be proved. :no: In fact, it can be disproved. :yes:  

http://www.abovetops...hread163678/pg1

http://www.ucg.org/s...-without-bible/

Posted Image


​"​A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely fool proof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams.

#9    MissAmber

MissAmber

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Joined:30 Aug 2013
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:WASHINGTON STATE

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:26 PM

I know where I'm going, so I don't care if it happened tomorrow!!


#10    Hawkin

Hawkin

    LiverEatenJohnson

  • Member
  • 2,787 posts
  • Joined:21 Jun 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:USA

  • Some say he is dead.
    Some say he will never be.

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:29 PM

I think we will do it to ourselves. With a growing world population that's putting a strain on our natural resources, something will give way. 50 years ago the world's population was half of what it is now. Imagine what it will be like in another 50.


#11    Technocrat

Technocrat

    Apparition

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Joined:02 Apr 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ireland

  • "In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog." Anon.

    "Art is what you can get away with." Andy Warhol.

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:32 PM

View Postmoonshadow60, on 24 September 2013 - 08:22 PM, said:

As long as nothing destroys this planet in the next 20 years or so, won't matter to me.  I will be gone by the end of that time, or maybe before.  At my age, very short spans of years are what I think of.

Me as well! :yes:

Posted Image


​"​A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely fool proof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams.

#12    Ugly1

Ugly1

    Remote Viewer

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • Joined:07 Jun 2007
  • Gender:Not Selected
  • Location:Texas USA

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:47 PM

Knock on wood anyone? Studies like this are what worry me.


#13    DieChecker

DieChecker

    I'm a Rogue Scholar

  • Member
  • 23,867 posts
  • Joined:21 Nov 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portland, Oregon, USA

  • Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:10 AM

View PostHawkin, on 24 September 2013 - 10:29 PM, said:

I think we will do it to ourselves. With a growing world population that's putting a strain on our natural resources, something will give way. 50 years ago the world's population was half of what it is now. Imagine what it will be like in another 50.
@Hawkin... The common opinion among experts is that supposedly the population will top out soon at about 9 billion aroung 2050 and stay there till 2300. Which I think is wrong. People don't change their reproductive influences that quicky. They would have us believe that in 2 generations everyone in Africa, South America, and Asia will have a zero population growth. I might buy 4 or 5 generations, if those intermediate generations get better standards of living and more spending money, but then I don't see that happening either. I would not be surprised if by 2050 the population is up to 12 billion.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#14    Doug1o29

Doug1o29

    Telekinetic

  • Member
  • 7,388 posts
  • Joined:01 Aug 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:oklahoma

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:10 AM

View Postquestionmark, on 24 September 2013 - 08:08 PM, said:

There is life in ocean floor Geysers. I doubt the atmosphere will ever get that hot.

View PostDieChecker, on 25 September 2013 - 12:10 AM, said:

@Hawkin... The common opinion among experts is that supposedly the population will top out soon at about 9 billion aroung 2050 and stay there till 2300. Which I think is wrong. People don't change their reproductive influences that quicky. They would have us believe that in 2 generations everyone in Africa, South America, and Asia will have a zero population growth. I might buy 4 or 5 generations, if those intermediate generations get better standards of living and more spending money, but then I don't see that happening either. I would not be surprised if by 2050 the population is up to 12 billion.
A few years ago I did a little study (for my own edification) on population growth.  I projected that the US would reach ZPG about mid-century and the world as a whole would do it about 2100 at a population just under 10 billion.  There is a caveat, though:  population growth estimates aren't real accurate beyond 20 years because we can't predict birth rates - too many things influence that.  Once born, it is easy to estimate when they'll die.  After 2100, I would predict a long, slow "population implosion."
Doug

If I have seen farther than other men, it is because I stood on the shoulders of giants. --Bernard de Chartres
The beginning of knowledge is the realization that one doesn't and cannot know everything.
Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance. --Hippocrates
Ignorance is not an opinion. --Adam Scott

#15    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 13,796 posts
  • Joined:13 Aug 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Eire

  • Stupid Monkeys.

    Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:50 AM

View PostDoug1o29, on 25 September 2013 - 03:10 AM, said:

A few years ago I did a little study (for my own edification) on population growth.  I projected that the US would reach ZPG about mid-century and the world as a whole would do it about 2100 at a population just under 10 billion.  There is a caveat, though:  population growth estimates aren't real accurate beyond 20 years because we can't predict birth rates - too many things influence that.  Once born, it is easy to estimate when they'll die.  After 2100, I would predict a long, slow "population implosion."
Doug
Which is not very heartening when you consider the impacts a sustained 10 billion population will have before it declines to a sustainable level.
Most of the environmental damage which has happened accompanied the population explosion from the 1970's till now. The rate of ecological damage has accellerated since then. Its easy for the developed nations to ignore this fact - since they have outsourced most of the real dirty industry to the developing world. However look closely at an indicator group such as the butterflies and it will quickly become clear that the ecological system is in freefall collapse.

But ultimately those who say that the planet will survive and prosper are correct, nature will rebound, but that is only small consolation for the generations of humans yet to come.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Br Cornelius, 25 September 2013 - 07:52 AM.

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users