Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

1958 movie "the blob" - based on a true story

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1    Jacques Terreur

Jacques Terreur

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:44 PM

this is rather for the amusement of b-movie addicts like myself than for actual discussion, and i wasn't really sure in which section to put it.
A lot of movies claim to be "based on true events", but who'd have guessed that the 1958 sci-fi flick "the Blob" actually IS!

According to a book called "Forgotten tales of Philadelphia" (Edward & Thomas White, 2011), two policemen reported a strange occurance
on September 26, 1950, which 8 years later inspired screen writer Kay Linaker to write the story to the movie.
What happened that night, you can read here (you  find more details, including newspaper cuts, police reports and a (possible) solution of WTF happened....) :

http://miskatonicboo...m/tag/the-blob/

Posted Image

#2    ambelamba

ambelamba

Just an average guy who tries to be...NORMAL!!!!

• 3,355 posts

• It's good to be mildly skeptical to remain sane. But too much of it will make you a douche.

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:48 PM

I don't want to be rude but I won't be surprised anymore if someone claims that Ultraman is a documentary.

Of course, if it's true then it would be kick-butt awesome.

They came with a Bible and their religion. stole our land, crushed our spirit, and now they tell us we should be thankful to the Lord for being saved.

-Chief Pontiac (1718-1769)

#3    Jacques Terreur

Jacques Terreur

Psychic Spy

• 1,430 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:51 PM

it's a shlocky movie - and the "true story" has most likely a natural explanation. I'm not crazy, man.... ;) but for me, it was a fun read

#4    zoser

zoser

Sapphire

• 10,009 posts

• It is later than you think.

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:10 PM

Jacques Terreur, on 24 September 2013 - 04:44 PM, said:

this is rather for the amusement of b-movie addicts like myself than for actual discussion, and i wasn't really sure in which section to put it.
A lot of movies claim to be "based on true events", but who'd have guessed that the 1958 sci-fi flick "the Blob" actually IS!

According to a book called "Forgotten tales of Philadelphia" (Edward & Thomas White, 2011), two policemen reported a strange occurance
on September 26, 1950, which 8 years later inspired screen writer Kay Linaker to write the story to the movie.
What happened that night, you can read here (you  find more details, including newspaper cuts, police reports and a (possible) solution of WTF happened....) :

http://miskatonicboo...m/tag/the-blob/

I would be inclined to take that with a little pinch of salt.

Posted Image

#5    Jacques Terreur

Jacques Terreur

Psychic Spy

• 1,430 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:17 PM

zoser, on 24 September 2013 - 07:10 PM, said:

since when?

#6    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 7,051 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:26 PM

Heh, interesting read. I've always been rather fond of the movie, both the original and the remake. It's entertaining to think it could be based on, erm, previously reported event regardless on how factual or not that event was.

#7    1963

Psychic Spy

• 1,114 posts

• When the day is through,and the nightsky shades the blue,and the swallows cease to sing as they fly!.......

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:26 AM

It was almost certainly "Star Jelly"  Zoser!... :tu:

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Star_jelly

Cheers buddy.

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
...I found the Smoking Gun at last!!!!!!!!.....https://www.youtube....h?v=fGKOcuANNQo

#8    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 10,182 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:30 AM

WHAT? You posted many pages and even did 'photo analysis' (ahem) of your BLOB, in that old film you got so excited about. So why cant someone elses blob be taken seriously?   :w00t:

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#9    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 10,182 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:00 PM

Jacques Terreur, on 24 September 2013 - 07:17 PM, said:

since when?

made me laugh mate :tu: :w00t:

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#10    Jacques Terreur

Jacques Terreur

Psychic Spy

• 1,430 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:24 PM

seeder, on 25 September 2013 - 12:00 PM, said:

made me laugh mate :tu: :w00t:

i was just briefly mad at him because we had a misunderstanding in another thread....solved now, But laughing's always good! :D

#11    Jacques Terreur

Jacques Terreur

Psychic Spy

• 1,430 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:26 PM

1963, on 25 September 2013 - 11:26 AM, said:

It was almost certainly "Star Jelly"  Zoser!... :tu:

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Star_jelly

Cheers buddy.

the good ol' fortean phenomena are the best! :tu:  but i thought the "star snot" thingy was explained in several ways...well, maybe not in the 50's.

#12    zoser

zoser

Sapphire

• 10,009 posts

• It is later than you think.

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:46 PM

Jacques Terreur, on 25 September 2013 - 12:24 PM, said:

i was just briefly mad at him because we had a misunderstanding in another thread....solved now, But laughing's always good! :D

Only briefly?  Damn I failed again.

:tsu:

Posted Image

#13    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 31,830 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:10 PM

A really fun read, and most interesting, thanks mate! Inspirations comes from all over doesn't it!

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#14    Jacques Terreur

Jacques Terreur

Psychic Spy

• 1,430 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:49 AM

zoser, on 25 September 2013 - 08:46 PM, said:

Only briefly?  Damn I failed again.

:tsu:

goddammit, Zoser, admit it already: you ARE an alien, sent here to mess with the UM crowd ;)

#15    PersonFromPorlock

PersonFromPorlock

Psychic Spy

• 1,362 posts

• Few things do more harm than the belief that life should be Dramatic.

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:21 PM

I remember seeing the movie when it was new, and thinking "Two thousand pounds of raging raw liver...."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users