Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Fear memories can be overcome during sleep

sleep slumber fear memories odors brain

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 43,348 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:19 PM

It can take only an instant for fear to take hold in the brain: a fear of snakes after being bitten by one, or anxiety around bodies of water after witnessing a drowning.

Overcoming that fear can take a long time, but now researchers are saying it can be done in your sleep. Scientists at Northwestern University say they have lowered levels of fear in people by using certain odors to trigger and rechannel frightening memories into harmless ones during a deep slumber.

http://www.washingto...35d0_story.html

Posted Image

#2    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:44 PM

You may think you're doing nothing at night, but to your brain, sleep means finally having some spare time to take stock of the day's events. Freed from the distractions of recording new experiences, a deeply sleeping brain can organize and strengthen memories, especially emotional ones.

http://news.national...ampaign=Content

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#3    HeathenRoyalty

HeathenRoyalty

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 329 posts

• "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." -Hunter S. Thompson

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:53 PM

I would say yes, with the right guidance and training.  If someone strengthens their mind to that extent or has someone to teach then yes.

#4    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:59 PM

View PostHeathenRoyalty, on 28 September 2013 - 09:53 PM, said:

I would say yes, with the right guidance and training.  If someone strengthens their mind to that extent or has someone to teach then yes.

I always said that Lucid dreaming should be therapy.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#5    HeathenRoyalty

HeathenRoyalty

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 329 posts

• "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." -Hunter S. Thompson

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:34 AM

I agree, but then that opens the door to everyone shooting it down or worse pretending that they can do it just to make a quick buck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users