Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UFOlogy: Maybe it's just me but....

ambelamba

Sorry for repeating the same thing twice.

Maybe it's just me, but something makes me think that we have to throw away pretty much all known UFO mythos, except that some UFOs are manufactured and they may not be of terrestrial origin. And maaaaaaaybe aliens are visiting Earth. Probably. Maybe. I am not sure. Beside these two assumptions maybe we will have to throw away everything else and start from scratch.

Yeah, this can be incredibly unpopular to most of UFOlogists, except for a few who are pulling the punch to avoid being called crazy. Forget about Friedman. And passionately Ignore....Boylan, Lazar, and whoever comes to your mind.

• Like 1

Add whitley strieber to that ignore list...Oh,and Billy billy meier too.Not to mention Youtubers by the dozens that post B.S. as well.

• Like 2

Add whitley strieber to that ignore list...Oh,and Billy billy meier too.Not to mention Youtubers by the dozens that post B.S. as well.

Pretty much everyone, eh? I guess we all should.

• Like 1

Sorry for repeating the same thing twice.

Maybe it's just me, but something makes me think that we have to throw away pretty much all known UFO mythos, except that some UFOs are manufactured and they may not be of terrestrial origin. And maaaaaaaybe aliens are visiting Earth. Probably. Maybe. I am not sure. Beside these two assumptions maybe we will have to throw away everything else and start from scratch.

Yeah, this can be incredibly unpopular to most of UFOlogists, except for a few who are pulling the punch to avoid being called crazy. Forget about Friedman. And passionately Ignore....Boylan, Lazar, and whoever comes to your mind.

:D

You are stepping into the light of a skeptical outlook. It's all good, some of your sentiments are reflected in my signature.

I think you are one step from turning that maaaaaybeeee into "where does it say that?"

The best thing you can do is ask questions, and demand answers. If they do not exist, so be it, we pursue every corner just to make sure, but once you stop imagining what might be, and start concentrating on what can be, the picture becomes far clearer. The only stupid question is one not asked.

• Like 3

This guy films planes,and out of focus stars calling them UFO's.He sometimes dubs over the audio saying these planes are silent.

Sad part is he has a small following of believers.

I have seen other Tubers faking Bigfoot vids with people believing it.

:-(

• Like 2

What UFOlogy is in desperate need of is a true scientific approach. One where you do not draw any conclusions until the research/investigation is done. Any pre-conceived notion, by it's very nature, introduces bias to an investigation and as modern UFOlogy has proven, ends up producing absolute rubbish. UFO investigation must begin with "I don't know what that is, what do the facts tell us?". If the facts aren't good enough for a solid conclusion then that is where it ends.... 'unknown'. That is the only way UFOlogy will ever be taken seriously.

• Like 4

Exactly, most UFOologists begin with the presumption that what is being witnessed is in fact ET, there by skewing and removing any objectivity from their arguments. Starting from a conclusion and cherry picking information is the worst possible method to prove anything. I think that most people interested in this phenomenon should be skeptical, if you want to be taken seriously.

Edited by EnderOTD
  • Like 3

I think that most people interested in this phenomenon should be skeptical, if you want to be taken seriously.

you could lay the obstacle even lower and say people interested in this subject should at least maintain their objectivity,

instead of taking every picture/YT vid of blurry, undefineable blob as "100% proof of ET!"....

• Like 2

What UFOlogy is in desperate need of is a true scientific approach. One where you do not draw any conclusions until the research/investigation is done. Any pre-conceived notion, by it's very nature, introduces bias to an investigation and as modern UFOlogy has proven, ends up producing absolute rubbish. UFO investigation must begin with "I don't know what that is, what do the facts tell us?". If the facts aren't good enough for a solid conclusion then that is where it ends.... 'unknown'. That is the only way UFOlogy will ever be taken seriously.

The problem is when you go unbiased you end up pretty much rejecting the whole field as nonsense. So people who want to study it cannot be scientific.
  • Like 2

The problem is when you go unbiased you end up pretty much rejecting the whole field as nonsense. So people who want to study it cannot be scientific.

that's a problem that "proper" science has to face as well. My wife is a medical statistician, she helps doctors in developing studies in order to prove their theories, and you'd be surprised of how many docs approach studies with a possible outcome already in mind. That's what i would call bias in this example.

But what qualifies one as "unbiased" in the field of UFO research? could you maybe specify that a bit?

Exactly, most UFOologists begin with the presumption that what is being witnessed is in fact ET, there by skewing and removing any objectivity from their arguments. Starting from a conclusion and cherry picking information is the worst possible method to prove anything.

It would be OK if ET were being used as a hypothesis instead of a conclusion.

UFOlogists rely on decades and decades of exciting stories to support their field. Roswell, Barney Hill, all those famous abduction cases are what they continue to stand on since recent cases have been mostly frauds or explained without alien participation. The last thing they want to do is start from scratch, only considering cases from 2013 on. That would leave them with very little.

Oddly, UFOlogists want you to ignore the long list of contactees like Billy Meier since they make their field look ridiculous.

• Like 1

I wonder where ufology would be without the moon landings and people like Von daniken and Roswell.

Maybe we'd all be fascinated/paranoid about something else instead?

The problem is, we have nothing to put our hands on to study. And, if the military actually does have a captured craft, they'll never let us know.

UFOlogy disappears if we do get one.

The faker I posted about caught me debunking him on another channel,and now he is in a huff.Anyone in the U.K. want to challenge him?

Check out the comment section.

I would consider myself unique in ufology. I started researching when I was 13. Have read EVERY UFO book in the city library. 100% convinced they where aliens for a few years.

Years later after learning som photos and stoies where fake, that got me curious and I wanted to find out how. I did, and then I found how fun it was to do my own hoaxes and make crop circles. I still believed in aliens and many stories, but over the years I slowly started to find out more where hoaxes.

The last few years, I started seeing all the viral UFO videos on youtube and how many of them have been debunked. I also met a lot of circlemakers and did even more research on crop circles, concluding they are man made opposed to what I used to believe. I learned about CGI and after effects and more hoaxing techniques. Professional photography leant further skills to identifity objects as natural/manmade or hoaxes.

Now I'm skeptical. I can say almost all UFO videos and photos are fake or explainable. Some are not, but that doesnt mean they are aliens. I'd truly like to believe, but it's hard with all the experience I've had. Now all I want is the truth and evidence for it. It's boring, but probably better.

• Like 1

LGMs and crop circles are kinda today's equivalent to the old spiritualist movements, not to say they are not gone in spite of repeated demonstrations of fraud.