Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

Bizarre plant grows tomatoes and potatoes

tomatoes potatoes plant veg plot in a pot tomtato

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,946 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:41 PM

It sounds like something from a science fiction film, but a plant which produces both potatoes and tomatoes has been launched in the UK.

The ‘TomTato’ can grow more than 500 sweet cherry tomatoes above ground, while beneath the soil it produces white potatoes that are suitable for boiling, roasting or turning into chips.

Horticultural mail order company Thompson & Morgan, which is selling the plants for £14.99 each, described their new product as a “veg plot in a pot”.

http://www.telegraph...-unleashed.html

Posted Image

#2    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:53 PM

Is it safe to say its genetically modified then ....

Miss me?

#3    Papagiorgio

Papagiorgio

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

• I'm just saying.

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:12 PM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 25 September 2013 - 01:53 PM, said:

From the article:
"The hybrid plants are not a product of genetic engineering, but are each individually hand-grafted."

I'm just saying.

#4    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 7,209 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:44 PM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 25 September 2013 - 01:53 PM, said:

Dunno since they won't say what the seed stock is. Could be that the tomato or the potato stock it GMO in itself, and very well could be that neither is. But the process of grafting tomato to potato is not GMO in any way. They didn't alter nightshade seed to grow both tomatoes and potatoes, they take a tomato plant and whack off the roots, a potato plant and whack off it's greens on top, and grow the two halves together. One could probably do the same thing in their garden with skill, luck, and choosing the right tomato and potato to graft together.
It's the same premise they use when grafting fruit trees. Like apple tree rootstock X, and graft on apples A, B, and C onto it. Or fruit tree rootstock X and graft on peaches, plums, and apricots to it.

#5    Oniomancer

Oniomancer

Soulless Minion Of Orthodoxy

• 3,293 posts

• Question everything

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:43 PM

View Postrashore, on 25 September 2013 - 02:44 PM, said:

Dunno since they won't say what the seed stock is. Could be that the tomato or the potato stock it GMO in itself, and very well could be that neither is. But the process of grafting tomato to potato is not GMO in any way. They didn't alter nightshade seed to grow both tomatoes and potatoes, they take a tomato plant and whack off the roots, a potato plant and whack off it's greens on top, and grow the two halves together. One could probably do the same thing in their garden with skill, luck, and choosing the right tomato and potato to graft together.
It's the same premise they use when grafting fruit trees. Like apple tree rootstock X, and graft on apples A, B, and C onto it. Or fruit tree rootstock X and graft on peaches, plums, and apricots to it.

Yep. No different from those amazing wonder trees they used to advertise in the Sunday newspaper magazine supplements. Not even particularly unusual since like your examples, potatoes and tomatoes are just different species in the same genus, solanum.

"Apparently the Lemurians drank Schlitz." - Intrepid "Real People" reporter on finding a mysterious artifact in the depths of Mount Shasta.

#6    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 7,209 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:43 PM

View PostOniomancer, on 25 September 2013 - 03:43 PM, said:

Yep. No different from those amazing wonder trees they used to advertise in the Sunday newspaper magazine supplements. Not even particularly unusual since like your examples, potatoes and tomatoes are just different species in the same genus, solanum.

Yep, and it's been done to graft other other nightshades like peppers and eggplants too. And curbits are grafted as well. Usually these graftings are done to give a heartier or more resistant rootstock base to a more delicate or less resistant top. Or to make an heirloom have an increased yield like a hybrid has. Japan has a history of doing this for almost a century, and quite a bit of their nightshades and curbits are grafted plants. There are a handful of U.S. seed/stock producers that provide rootstock for this purpose, and apparently a lot of gardeners rather like grafting.

#7    little_dreamer

little_dreamer

Government Agent

• 3,307 posts

• We did not understand it all, but somehow we survived.

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:31 AM

That's cool.  I knew cactus could be grafted, but I didn't know vegetables could, too.

I am another anonymous face in the crowd. I am just another tiny wheel in the machinery of the world I live in.

#8    Skep B

Skep B

Savant of Depravity

• 5,277 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:32 AM

Finally, I can get my tater tots and ketchup from the same place.

About time, science!

I've seen **** that'll turn you WHITE!

#9    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:03 AM

View PostPapagiorgio, on 25 September 2013 - 02:12 PM, said:

From the article:
"The hybrid plants are not a product of genetic engineering, but are each individually hand-grafted."
Thank you .My bad for not reading the entire article

Edited by Simbi Laveau, 26 September 2013 - 07:04 AM.

Miss me?

#10    DKO

DKO

Ω is Futile.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts

• When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra - Unless you're in Africa...

Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:13 AM

That's awesome. If I had a veggie garden I'd definitely buy these. Would be pretty funny to rip a tomato plant in front of someone and have potato's follow.

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Confucius Says:

Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

Man who wants pretty nurse must be patient.

#11    Bean85

Bean85

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:52 AM

Fried chips and ketchup in one ;)  Great!

#12    BuzzLightYear

BuzzLightYear

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 02:12 PM

What's new about this?  This is decades old. lol.

#13    ancient astronaut

ancient astronaut

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

• It Is What It Is.

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:52 PM

Awesome!!!

#14    moonshadow60

moonshadow60

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

• "There comes a time when you have to choose between turning the page or just closing the book"... James Wilson

Posted 28 September 2013 - 06:47 PM

Yep; when you graft a rose plant to a hardier root stock you have a hardier plant, but must be careful how low you go on the plant when you prune the plant for winter.  The tomato-potato plant only lasts for one growing season, so you don't need to worry about pruning.

#15    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,530 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:00 PM

I'm liking it! Tomatoes on top and potatoes on the bottom in the ground and apparently all natural.

Though I do prefer baby red potatoes over white(just my taste) Wonder if they could do that too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users