Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How much will Obamacare premiums cost?

questionmark

A 27-year-old in Austin who earns $25,000 could pay $85 per month for health insurance next year, and a family of four in St. Louis with income of $50,000 might face a $32 monthly premium, according to new federal data on health insurance rates under the Affordable Care Act.

The report, released Wednesday by the Department of Health and Human Services, showed significant variation in the insurance premiums that Americans shopping on the individual market could pay under the president’s health-care overhaul. Across the 48 states for which data were available, the unsubsidized monthly premiums could be as low as $70 for an individual and as high as $1,200 for a moderate plan for a family of four.

The average national premium for an individual policy will be $328 in 2014, before including any of the tax credits that will be available to low- and middle-income Americans to help them purchase coverage.

Read more

Lots of coulds and mights. Many things could happen, or might happen. I could win the lottery. I might have a rich uncle I don't know.

• Like 2

open enrolment time is almost here, in a month or two we'll have hard numbers before an after aca. than we'll talk

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

open enrolment time is almost here, in a month or two we'll have hard numbers before an after aca. than we'll talk

I dont need em. My insurance has already risen so high that Im no longer covered.

• Like 1

Did your insurance tell you why it rose so high? A reason that actually makes sense? Mine went up $4 a month for the open season that starts on Monday.

Did your insurance tell you why it rose so high? A reason that actually makes sense? Mine went up $4 a month for the open season that starts on Monday.

Mine doubled in price, twice. Why? They didnt say. But in light of resent legislation I dont think its hard to figure out. I have a family of 4 and am just above the poverty line.

• Like 1

Mine doubled in price, twice. Why? They didnt say. But in light of resent legislation I dont think its hard to figure out. I have a family of 4 and am just above the poverty line.

Then you should be happy about Obamacare as you will get a tax deduction that might make up for some increases.

Besides that, insurance companies always round up sheeple with low premiums and then increase them over the years. Standard procedure.

So basicaly, to listen to 0bamacare supporters, Im the exact type of person who should have been helped the most by this legislation. Poor folks already get free medical. and upper middle class and the rich can afford higher costs. But lower middle class like myself seem to be the ones hit hardest. Now Star has told me that I should qualify for some type of government help, but screw that. Last thing I want is to be a burden to tax payers. I have paid my own way since I was 16. I have never had a problem supporting my family. There is no reason a person like myself should have to rely on hand outs. The very thought makes me want to puke.

• Like 2

Then you should be happy about Obamacare as you will get a tax deduction that might make up for some increases.

Besides that, insurance companies always round up sheeple with low premiums and then increase them over the years. Standard procedure.

Im not getting a deduction Q. Im getting a fine at the end of the year. Nor was my premium low to begin with. And to top it off, this didnt take years. All this happened over the last year. Not only did they raise the price so high I can no longer cover myself, but they also cut what services they provide in half, and doubled my co-pays as well.

• Like 1

So basicaly, to listen to 0bamacare supporters, Im the exact type of person who should have been helped the most by this legislation. Poor folks already get free medical. and upper middle class and the rich can afford higher costs. But lower middle class like myself seem to be the ones hit hardest. Now Star has told me that I should qualify for some type of government help, but screw that. Last thing I want is to be a burden to tax payers. I have paid my own way since I was 16. I have never had a problem supporting my family. There is no reason a person like myself should have to rely on hand outs. The very thought makes me want to puke.

But it is not a burden to the tax payers. I have no clue why your insurance doubled, as I too am a family of four and mine went up $48 for the year. Right now, $922 of my premium goes to covering the uninsured. That is far more of a burden to me, considering my taxes aren't going up to pay for Obamacare.

I think the problem is, many companies are using Obamacare as a scapegoat to cut benefits and save money. It's much easier to pull something shady when there is something that 97% of Americans don't understand that they can place the blame on.

But it is not a burden to the tax payers. I have no clue why your insurance doubled, as I too am a family of four and mine went up $48 for the year. Right now, $922 of my premium goes to covering the uninsured. That is far more of a burden to me, considering my taxes aren't going up to pay for Obamacare.

Of course its a burden to the tax payer. The way it was just last year, I could afford my insurance. Now I cant, and if I took help from the government, thats a bill that just last year they didnt have. Considering the government cant pay its bills as is, without stealing from generations that dont even exist yet, any extra money they have to pay is a serious burden to the tax payer.

I couldnt say. Maybe They just havent gone up yet. How much are you paying for insurance for a single month? Why would your private for profit insurance company charge you $922 bucks to cover people who are not covered by them? They have no responcibility to pay for uncovered people. Or is that $922 a tax?

I think the problem is, many companies are using Obamacare as a scapegoat to cut benefits and save money. It's much easier to pull something shady when there is something that 97% of Americans don't understand that they can place the blame on.

Oh sure. Companies are always looking at the bottom line. And its even worse then what you have described here. Alot of people are going to end up having their hours cut to part time as well. Thats just another reason why this legislation is just a horrible idea. Also there will be alot of companies that will fire Americans to hire illegals, cause they dont have to be covered for something like 10 years. Government should never force people to pay for a product from a private for profit company.

• Like 2

I pay around $100 a month with my employer covering the rest. No, the $922 is not a tax. But, I will explain this part again. When someone receives treatment at a hospital, lets say a heart surgery. The whole procedure to include personnel and equipment may only cost $200K. But, the hospital charges $1 million. That helps to offset the unpaid bills of the uninsured. I know this is a fact because my mother is an insurance negotiator. She is hired by the insurance companies to negotiate the cost of the procedure (after it is done, so no delay for the patient). She can get a hospital to lower their price by hundreds of thousands of dollars. People on here will say the government pays for the unpaid bills and that is simply not true. They do give a portion to hospitals, but it nowhere near covers the $49 billion unpaid per year.

U.S. officials for the first time disclosed insurance prices that will be offered through new federally run health-care exchanges starting Oct. 1, showing that young, healthy buyers likely will pay more than they do currently while older, sicker consumers should get a break.
Across the country, the average premium for a 27-year-old nonsmoker, regardless of gender, will start at $163 a month for the lowest-cost "bronze" plan; $203 for the "silver" plan, which provides more benefits than bronze; and $240 for the more-comprehensive "gold" plan.

But for some buyers, prices will rise from today's less-comprehensive policies. In Nashville, Tenn., a 27-year-old male nonsmoker could pay as little as $41 a month now for a bare-bones policy, but would pay $114 a month for the lowest-cost bronze option in the new federal health exchanges.

Likewise, the least-expensive bronze policy would rise to $195 a month in Philadelphia for that same 27-year-old, from $73 today. In Cheyenne, Wyo., the lowest-cost option would be $271 a month, up from $82 today.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/prices-set-health-care-exchanges-040600393.html Original is from "Wall Street Journal"

Now the OPs quotes dont seem right, a family of 4 with $50,000 income is way above the poverty line for my state. But then again you earn more in states like California than you do in mine which the poverty line with a family of 4 stops at $28,000. (last i looked but its been 5 years)

Theres a tool you can see how much govt. credits you get from your income. Miines was in the high hundreds for a single person....maybe if your a family of four in your 40+ its that cheap but not if you have a decent job(no I dont mean middle class job) its not that cheap. Its in the Hundreds with govt credit.

Now these are the prices of Govt.exchange. I know people who as obama care kicked in more and more lowered there coverage cause there decent coverage got to high. Then there c**py coverage rose higher and higher than they just droped insurance all together. So obamacare atleast for the people I know have less coverage now or no coverage. And watch your current insurance alot of em are changing your policys to cut cost.

• Like 2

I pay around $100 a month with my employer covering the rest. No, the $922 is not a tax. But, I will explain this part again. When someone receives treatment at a hospital, lets say a heart surgery. The whole procedure to include personnel and equipment may only cost $200K. But, the hospital charges $1 million. That helps to offset the unpaid bills of the uninsured. I know this is a fact because my mother is an insurance negotiator. She is hired by the insurance companies to negotiate the cost of the procedure (after it is done, so no delay for the patient). She can get a hospital to lower their price by hundreds of thousands of dollars. People on here will say the government pays for the unpaid bills and that is simply not true. They do give a portion to hospitals, but it nowhere near covers the $49 billion unpaid per year.

Yeah thats how I have always understood it. Thats why I was confused with you having a exact number ($922) of what you pay for the uninsured. Unless you knew what your insurance companies cost for the year for your self and family were, how could you possibly know what you have paid for them. Like lets say you had a great year and no one in your family needed to see a doctor, or go to the hospital. If that was the case, then you wouldnt have paid anything for the uninsured. BTW, thats a great deal you have with your employer. Have you asked them if their costs have risen to keep you insured?

I dont know if you are aware, but you brought up another great point. Isnt it amazing that people who have insurance, the company that provides it can often lower the costs for the company through a negotiator. But people who have no insurance, the ones in most need of a financial break from medical expences, always get the full bill with no way around it. That is insane.

^^This.

If your insurance premiums are going up/coverage going down it's not the fault of ACA, but the insurance companies who are using ACA as a scapegoat for stealthily upping their profits.

http://finance.yahoo...-040600393.html Original is from "Wall Street Journal"

Now the OPs quotes dont seem right, a family of 4 with $50,000 income is way above the poverty line for my state. But then again you earn more in states like California than you do in mine which the poverty line with a family of 4 stops at $28,000. (last i looked but its been 5 years)

Theres a tool you can see how much govt. credits you get from your income. Miines was in the high hundreds for a single person....maybe if your a family of four in your 40+ its that cheap but not if you have a decent job(no I dont mean middle class job) its not that cheap. Its in the Hundreds with govt credit.

Now these are the prices of Govt.exchange. I know people who as obama care kicked in more and more lowered there coverage cause there decent coverage got to high. Then there c**py coverage rose higher and higher than they just droped insurance all together. So obamacare atleast for the people I know have less coverage now or no coverage. And watch your current insurance alot of em are changing your policys to cut cost.

Yep, thats what happened to me and my family in a nut shell. The "affordable"health care act, did exactly the oposite. And Im the kinda guy this was suppose to help. I went from paying my own insurance, at a high, but worth it cost, to having to become dependent of government hand outs that I refuse to take. Thanks for screwing me 0bama. What a sold out dirt bag.

• Like 1

^^This.

If your insurance premiums are going up/coverage going down it's not the fault of ACA, but the insurance companies who are using ACA as a scapegoat for stealthily upping their profits.

Not ACA's fault???? This was easily predictable. And should have been a clear sign not to do it. Especialy as our economy webble wobbles on the brink of depression, and companies everywhere are looking to save money. Leo let me let you in on something. The insurance companies WROTE the damn bill. Behind close doors no less, with the full support of 0bama.

• Like 1

Not ACA's fault???? This was easily predictable. And should have been a clear sign not to do it.

I agree, because of corporate greed - but that is not an excuse not to do it. Thinking so just means you have given in to the notion that you are ruled by your corporate overlords. Legislating affordable healthcare is the right thing to do.

I agree, because of corporate greed - but that is not an excuse not to do it. Thinking so just means you have given in to the notion that you are ruled by your corporate overlords. Legislating affordable healthcare is the right thing to do.

How on earth do you reach that conclusion?? Let me get this striaght, you are saying that we should pass legislation, regardless of its negative effects, based on principle? You dont think the overall results should play any part in these decisions? BTW we are ruled by cronie capitalism directly because this government is sold out to them. 0bama, Bush, Bush lite, Clinton, ect ect, are the reason we are ruled by corporate overlords. They go hand in hand and are one in the same. Thats why 0bama got the insurance company's together with his lawyers, closed the door behind them, and wrote the bill together. Thats why they rushed the process and had in written in stone before anyone even knew what it said. "We have to pass the bill so we can see whats in it", was a clear sign that we were getting screwed. But then what did we expect from a man who's top political donor's were Goldman sach, and BP. 0bamas goal in all this was to help those insurance companies, and to screw the American people.

• Like 1

How on earth do you reach that conclusion?? Let me get this striaght, you are saying that we should pass legislation, regardless of its negative effects, based on principle?

Legislation is passed on the principle it helps the people in your society. If your society is rotten you deal with that outside of passing legislation. ACA may help stimulate the US to clean up it's healthcare and healthcare insurance woes, then again it might not. That depends on people like you actively campaigning to clean up the business (not legislation) of healthcare.

Healthcare does not equal insurance.

I knew ways to get affordable healthcare without insurance.... WHAT!!!!.... I know a weird concept. There were multiple doctors offices and clinics that knocked off a huge price if they knew you didnt have insurance (and no they seemed more nice and not annoyed when you told em) and even gave you a discount if you could pay that day.... OMG that sounds like capatalism....

My wife had to get an X-ray done, hospital thats 1k+ but the doctors office sent us to another buisness (that 1k+ would have been so worth not driving right) that charged 75 dollars. Thats it.

What obamacare does is cause insurance companies to have a monopoly on medical care. And if you actually look at how things are run we have a few big buisnesses with multiple faces, for example your toilet paper, alot of those brands were bought out and are owned by one company.

And no Obama and his party are not dumb, That was the whole point of this. And no the Republic party isnt our hope cause if we didnt have someone playing devils advocate, someone to speak out our frustration over this we might get a lil non-complacent.

Its all a dog and pony show. Big insurance companies now dictate your medical affairs. Pretty soon im sure theyll give more incentives to do preventive check ups and vaccines. I know you guys will call me a nut case conspiracy guy (which im not, im to lazy for that).

But come on do you realy think all these harvard and yale college, Rogue Scholars in some cases, guys are idiots and our government is some battle ground where people just like us, grew up just like us, live like us fight for us..... And to save us from the big mean rich people who they have no relations with...............pffft okay whatever.

• Like 2

Legislation is passed on the principle it helps the people in your society. If your society is rotten you deal with that outside of passing legislation. ACA may help stimulate the US to clean up it's healthcare and healthcare insurance woes, then again it might not. That depends on people like you actively campaigning to clean up the business (not legislation) of healthcare.

But government is responcible for our health care woes. They have created a situation where companies have been able to create monopolies by passing laws where insurance companies can only operate in one state. Cause of this some states have as few as 2 companies to choose from. The free market can only work if there is healthy competition. You'd see prices dropping overnight if any given insurance company could operate in all states, pooling all their money from every state. What could I possibly do to stop making companies look for ways to save money at the expense of their workers? Thats a slippery slope I care not to venture down. How many companies have to leave our shores before we realize we have regulated them into oblivion?

Id also like to see states strike down laws that prevent them from starting non profit insurance companies. That would go along way in bringing down the prices for everyone. Id much rather see legislation that helps, not just in principle, but in reality.

• Like 1

Healthcare does not equal insurance.

I knew ways to get affordable healthcare without insurance.... WHAT!!!!.... I know a weird concept. There were multiple doctors offices and clinics that knocked off a huge price if they knew you didnt have insurance (and no they seemed more nice and not annoyed when you told em) and even gave you a discount if you could pay that day.... OMG that sounds like capatalism....

My wife had to get an X-ray done, hospital thats 1k+ but the doctors office sent us to another buisness (that 1k+ would have been so worth not driving right) that charged 75 dollars. Thats it.

What obamacare does is cause insurance companies to have a monopoly on medical care. And if you actually look at how things are run we have a few big buisnesses with multiple faces, for example your toilet paper, alot of those brands were bought out and are owned by one company.

And no Obama and his party are not dumb, That was the whole point of this. And no the Republic party isnt our hope cause if we didnt have someone playing devils advocate, someone to speak out our frustration over this we might get a lil non-complacent.

Its all a dog and pony show. Big insurance companies now dictate your medical affairs. Pretty soon im sure theyll give more incentives to do preventive check ups and vaccines. I know you guys will call me a nut case conspiracy guy (which im not, im to lazy for that).

But come on do you realy think all these harvard and yale college, Rogue Scholars in some cases, guys are idiots and our government is some battle ground where people just like us, grew up just like us, live like us fight for us..... And to save us from the big mean rich people who they have no relations with...............pffft okay whatever.

Exellent post Heru. Bravo

• Like 1

The free market can only work if there is healthy competition.

You'll never get "healthy competition" in a free market without regulation. ACA in it's original form (before the Republicans neutered it) - with the govt provision for not-for-profit healthcare insurance - would have provided sufficient competition for the free-market to self-regulate. Without that govt provision, however, the only way to ensure a market not completely in favour of the provider is to regulate in favour of the insured.

Edited by Leonardo

You'll never get "healthy competition" in a free market without regulation. ACA in it's original form (before the Republicans neutered it) - with the govt provision for not-for-profit healthcare insurance - would have provided sufficient competition for the free-market to self-regulate. Without that govt provision, however, the only way to ensure a market not completely in favour of the provider is to regulate in favour of the insured.

Ah yes the, lets create regulations to regulate people who created the regulations. That worked for the Housing and Loan market didn't it?

You seem to like Blue kool-aid, I like Red kool-aid. Now im no nutritional expert but I think there both unhealthy.

• Like 1