Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

childhood to be extended

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 30,008 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:56 AM

Scientests in enjgland has decided that childhood shuold be extended to twenty-five, because the brain is stfill developing until then.  This was fox today.  

Personally, I feel as long as your still learning your brain is still developing.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#2    spartan max2

spartan max2

Poltergeist

• 2,639 posts

• There's nothing so absurd that if you repeat it often enough

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:03 AM

Holy crap im still a child :passifier:

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#3    Drayno

Drayno

Reverend Dudemeister

• 3,683 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:10 AM

I'm still a child for another five years..

This is news to me.

"One leader, one people, signifies one master and millions of slaves." - Camus

#4    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,277 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:10 AM

View Postdanielost, on 26 September 2013 - 12:56 AM, said:

Scientests in enjgland has decided that childhood shuold be extended to twenty-five, because the brain is stfill developing until then.  This was fox today.
Yea that's the party's attitude I think -- at least I don't see anyone being invited to join the party until they are around that age.  About thirty seems to be the most common.

#5    ZOD

ZOD

Intern of the Illuminatti

• 5,118 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:37 AM

huh...ill be an adult saturday

tiiiime for hookers!

I've seen **** that'll turn you WHITE!

#6    Detective Mystery 2014

Detective Mystery 2014

Poltergeist

• 2,453 posts

• Mysteries are tomorrow's histories.

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:36 AM

As if folks aren't too immature as it is. Enough with these studies, UK. These youth-extension schemes, for grown men and grown women, are getting out of hand. It's just a matter of time before forty-year-old men are reclassified as drunken frat boys.

There is one reality with billions of versions.

#7    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,277 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:48 AM

View PostDetective Mystery 2013, on 26 September 2013 - 02:36 AM, said:

As if folks aren't too immature as it is. Enough with these studies, UK. These youth-extension schemes, for grown men and grown women, are getting out of hand. It's just a matter of time before forty-year-old men are reclassified as drunken frat boys.
No, they will remain forty year old drunks.

#8    Detective Mystery 2014

Detective Mystery 2014

Poltergeist

• 2,453 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:21 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 26 September 2013 - 02:48 AM, said:

No, they will remain forty year old drunks.

As for the British study, you can say that a frog is a tadpole until you're blue in the face, but it won't make it so. We don't need a generation of infantilized twenty-year-old "children". It's laughable and ludicrous to say that a twenty-five-year-old individual is a literal child. Hence my comment about "adolescents" in their forties.

#9    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,277 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:24 AM

I really would restrict the franchise, had I the power, to some age like twenty-five.  Maybe they are physically adults earlier, but they still lack judgment and experience.  Of course that is not the only way I think the franchise needs restricting.  The democratic ideal is part of the problem here.

#10    Detective Mystery 2014

Detective Mystery 2014

Poltergeist

• 2,453 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:31 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 26 September 2013 - 03:24 AM, said:

I really would restrict the franchise, had I the power, to some age like twenty-five.  Maybe they are physically adults earlier, but they still lack judgment and experience.  Of course that is not the only way I think the franchise needs restricting.  The democratic ideal is part of the problem here.

I couldn't agree less. Keep the age of majority at eighteen for all things, sixteen for some things. I'm excluding leadership positions while limiting it to things like alcohol consumption and the vote. We all learn from experience, so the rush to define adults by brain maturity (in the scientific sense) would cripple our society and produce a generation of infantilized people.

#11    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,277 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:35 AM

View PostDetective Mystery 2013, on 26 September 2013 - 03:31 AM, said:

I couldn't agree less. Keep the age of majority at eighteen for all things, sixteen for some things. I'm excluding leadership positions while limiting it to things like alcohol consumption and the vote. We all learn from experience, so the rush to define adults by brain maturity (in the scientific sense) would cripple our society and produce a generation of infantilized people.
I'm only talking about the franchise.  Children become adults in a process, not at an age, so giving them adult rights and responsibilities should happen in stages.  The right to make contracts and to marry should be maybe 18, the right to drive maybe a little older, but the franchise should come last.

#12    Detective Mystery 2014

Detective Mystery 2014

Poltergeist

• 2,453 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:50 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 26 September 2013 - 03:35 AM, said:

I'm only talking about the franchise.  Children become adults in a process, not at an age, so giving them adult rights and responsibilities should happen in stages.  The right to make contracts and to marry should be maybe 18, the right to drive maybe a little older, but the franchise should come last.

Most of us had a driver's license at sixteen when we were in high school, and we lived to tell the tale. I can understand some arguments that claim that it's too young to independently drive at that age, but your recommendation on the age restriction goes a bit too far, in my opinion. I'm not sure what you mean by "franchise", either. Since you're probably not referring to fast food restaurants, I take it that you mean state-sanctioned official adulthood, legally recognized by all locations and tiers of government.

#13    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,330 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:53 AM

In many places of the world where living is a lot harder, they consider the kids grown at 15 or 16. I personnally feel that you're an adult when you could have your own babies and successfully take care of them (given you have money?).

Edited by DieChecker, 26 September 2013 - 03:53 AM.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#14    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,330 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:54 AM

View PostDetective Mystery 2013, on 26 September 2013 - 03:50 AM, said:

Most of us had a driver's license at sixteen when we were in high school, and we lived to tell the tale. I can understand some arguments that claim that it's too young to independently drive at that age, but your recommendation on the age restriction goes a bit too far, in my opinion. I'm not sure what you mean by "franchise", either. Since you're probably not referring to fast food restaurants, I take it that you mean state-sanctioned official adulthood, legally recognized by all locations and tiers of government.
I've heard that most people in Europe don't get a drivers license till they are over 20.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#15    Drayno

Drayno

Reverend Dudemeister

• 3,683 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:55 AM

View PostDieChecker, on 26 September 2013 - 03:53 AM, said:

In many places of the world where living is a lot harder, they consider the kids grown at 15 or 16. I personnally feel that you're an adult when you could have your own babies and successfully take care of them (given you have money?).

I agree. If you're moderately successful while independent, you're an adult.

If you can support yourself, or support yourself and a child, you're a big boy.

View PostDieChecker, on 26 September 2013 - 03:54 AM, said:

I've heard that most people in Europe don't get a drivers license till they are over 20.

I just got my learner's permit today and I'm twenty. ;)

"One leader, one people, signifies one master and millions of slaves." - Camus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users