Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Matthew Chapter 6

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1    green_dude777

green_dude777

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts

• When you look back in life, you don't regret what you did, you regret what you never attempted.

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:59 AM

Matthew Chapter 6

Question for all the Tim Tebows, Billy Grahams, Al Sharptons, Pat Robertsons, Jessie Jacksons and the like.

What do you all say about this chapter that contains the 'Our Father' prayer?  I especially like verse 24 in that chapter.

How do these people and those like them reconcile these with their own lives?

Making donations public?  Trumpeting their faith? Public prayer?  Having wealth?  To reinforce the wealth complaint, Matthew 19:24 and Mark 10:25 make it as clear as a sunny day.

I'll actually be shocked if someone who calls themselves a Christian can honestly say they know what this chapter is about without looking it up.  I often doubt I've ever even seen a true Christian.

JC calls them hypocrites in those very same verses.  You should check out what JC thinks of hypocrites  http://www.kingjames...es&bsec=N=

Since I, a plain man, can see better than I hear, I have to assume someone who is a savior can see better than myself.

Or is everything justified because "we are sinners, and the Lord gives us salvation through forgiveness"?

#2    Skep B

Skep B

Savant of Depravity

• 5,276 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:23 AM

I would imagine, they see what they are doing as their way of evangelising, and showing their faith.

The scripture you're hinting at isn't saying "don't let people know about your ****"

it's saying "make sure you're doing this **** for the right reasons."

I would also argue that the way you're judging these guys is also against his teachings

I've seen **** that'll turn you WHITE!

#3    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,522 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:27 AM

I always kinda liked, "The meek will inherit the earth."  Of course if the earth is to be destroyed at the end of time that isn't much of an inheritance.

#4    Skep B

Skep B

Savant of Depravity

• 5,276 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:28 AM

Maybe the group stenographer should have put "for a while" at the end of that one :D

#5    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,522 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:29 AM

View PostSkepticalB, on 26 September 2013 - 01:23 AM, said:

I would also argue that the way you're judging these guys is also against his teachings
I don't see why such hypocrisy should not be pointed out.  I think perhaps Jesus went too far here though, and criticized thing people really need to do sometimes.

#6    Skep B

Skep B

Savant of Depravity

• 5,276 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:35 AM

The judging thing?

I've always took it to mean  "you don't know what people are dealing with in their hearts, don't look down on them as people, but recognize if they are doing wrong and help if you feel lead to.  Because you could be in the same place tomorrow."

.....I wind up defending christianity an awful lot for a skeptic....

#7    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,522 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:40 AM

Most religious founders, except Mohamed and Paul, told their followers to avoid judging others.  The Buddhist idea is to be aware (wise) of the personality traits and behavior of others but not to categorize them in the good/bad spectrum.

#8    Skep B

Skep B

Savant of Depravity

• 5,276 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:48 AM

Yeah, as much as Paul had his good stuff, some of his aspects never seemed to me to ring quite right w/ the teachings of Jesus...then again, this is going by things thousands of years old w/ translations that are little more than best glances.

*comment removed*

Edited by Paranoid Android, 26 September 2013 - 02:45 AM.

#9    Ogbin

Ogbin

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

• "God Bless Israel"

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:13 AM

Frank Merton,

Your right, this world will be destroyed. But goodthing there will be a new world made.

Revelation 21:1-2  "And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea. And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

Revelation 21:10-11  "And he (an angel) carried me away in the spirit to a great and high mountian, and showed me that great city, the holy Jerusalem, descending out of heaven from God, Having the glory of God: and her light was like unto a stone most precious, even like a jasper stone, clear as crystal."

Revelation 21:22-24a  "And I saw no temple therein: for the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are the temple of it. And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it: for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb is the light thereof. And the nations of them which are saved shall walk in the light of it:..."

Revelation 21:25  "And the gates of it shall not be shut at all by day: for there shall be no night there."

Revelation 21:27  "And there shall in no wise enter into it any thing that defileth, neither whatsoever worketh abomination, or maketh a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb's book of life."

Edited by Ogbin, 26 September 2013 - 02:14 AM.

#10    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,522 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:14 AM

Well then I guess the Bible taken literally contradicts itself.

#11    Skep B

Skep B

Savant of Depravity

• 5,276 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:17 AM

MMMMMhm

like stars falling from the sky?

please, you trippin if you buy that

#12    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,522 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:20 AM

Yea the Book of Revelations is a trip.

#13    Skep B

Skep B

Savant of Depravity

• 5,276 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:26 AM

But, give it to Michael Bay,and I'd go see it

#14    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 26,133 posts

• Paranoid Android... One Mippippi, two Mippippi, three Mippipi....

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:41 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 26 September 2013 - 01:40 AM, said:

Most religious founders, except Mohamed and Paul, told their followers to avoid judging others.  

Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumblng block or oobstaclein the way of a brother or sister.
~ Romans 14:13

You were saying?

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#15    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,522 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:49 AM

View PostParanoid Android, on 26 September 2013 - 02:41 AM, said:

Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumblng block or oobstaclein the way of a brother or sister.
~ Romans 14:13

You were saying?
You can't see how judgmental Paul was in spite of his words???

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users