Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Atheism to be taught in Ireland

atheism ireland school

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,595 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:07 PM

The Guardian said:

Up to 16,000 primary-school pupils in non-denominational sector will get tuition in atheism, while the rest will be offered courses on the internet and on smartphone apps.

In a historic move that will cheer Richard Dawkins, atheists in Ireland have secured the right to teach the republic's primary schoolchildren that God doesn't exist.

The first ever atheist curriculum for thousands of primary-school pupils in Ireland has been drawn up by Atheist Ireland in an education system that the Catholic church hierarchy has traditionally dominated.

Read more

This begs the question: What is there to teach? The whole thing is one sentence. Are they going to loaf around the whole semester repeating the same sentence? Or is atheism now a religion in itself with articles of faith that have to be learned?

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#2    Drayno

Drayno

Draynor's Finest

• 3,704 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:15 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 26 September 2013 - 04:07 PM, said:

This begs the question: What is there to teach? The whole thing is one sentence. Are they going to loaf around the whole semester repeating the same sentence? Or is atheism now a religion in itself with articles of faith that have to be learned?

I'm curious too, questionmark.

I didn't know there were any doctrines of atheism to learn other than "God is dead"..

Would the curriculum expose the hypocrisy of the church?

Or would it center around science?

Edited by Hatake Kakashi, 26 September 2013 - 04:31 PM.

"Let us sit upon the ground and tell sad stories of the death of kings."
- William Shakespeare, Richard II, Act III, Scene II

#3    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,164 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:24 PM

Maybe the history of atheism? Besides that there really isn't much to teach.

#4    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 15,004 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:26 PM

I no longer want to be associated with Atheists...I'm officially now just a non-believer.

#5    HerNibs

HerNibs

Grand Duchess Anaesthesia

• 12,206 posts

• Endless repetition does not make something true.

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:31 PM

I'd rather there were intensive critical thinking courses.  EVERYWHERE.

Nibs

Just because it is a mystery to YOU doesn't make it unexplained.

STORM - a must watch - caution, some profanity and may cause you to experience reason.

#6    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,635 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:32 PM

View PostMichelle, on 26 September 2013 - 04:26 PM, said:

I no longer want to be associated with Atheists...I'm officially now just a non-believer.

Ditto. They're almost worse than the religious when it comes to preaching.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated." - Hunt for the Skinwalker

"The ultimate irony of the Disclosure movement is that it deeply distrusts officialdom, while simultaneously looking to officialdom for the truth." - Robbie Graham Silver Screen Saucers

#7    J. K.

J. K.

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:33 PM

My guess would be they will focus on debunking the Bible and creationism.

One's reality is another's nightmare.

#8    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,595 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:34 PM

View PostHerNibs, on 26 September 2013 - 04:31 PM, said:

I'd rather there were intensive critical thinking courses.  EVERYWHERE.

Nibs

If you keep on saying that they will accuse you of trying to torture children :innocent:

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#9    CRYSiiSx2

CRYSiiSx2

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:50 PM

IMO All religion should not be taught in any school.  But growing up we cross our hearts and looked to the American flag every morning.  The kids who were taught at home not to participate didn't.  It should come back.

Posted Image
NRA - PROTECT THE 2ND AMENDMENT
my twitter @sktm06

#10    Mikko-kun

Mikko-kun

New life

• 1,475 posts

• Observation, individual resourcefulness... what would we be without them?

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:00 PM

I dont see how this is teaching, unless teaching equates telling someone what to do or how things are. I call it force-feeding 'knowledge'. They should teach philosophy instead, and parallel thinking or symbolism, so they'd see how similiar this is to the way religions put themselves out. I guess the definition of teaching depends on who you ask, but in my mind it's about giving your students something to think about, challenging them, allowing them to understand. And then letting them draw their conclusions.

I've been born again 31,8,2014 approximately 21:35 local time. A moment free of clutter in the mind, emancipating myself like an escapist, allowing myself to breathe life in a stronger, less physical level... though it does resonate to physical world. It's the oomph.

#11    Star of the Sea

Star of the Sea

Pienso en ti siempre

• 1,858 posts

• 'The light of the world'

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:28 PM

But but........ 'Atheism, is not a 'belief system'  :whistle:

"Love one another as I have loved you" John 15:9-17

#12    Odin11

Odin11

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

• I like your Christ.
    I do not like your Christians.
    They are so unlike your Christ.
    -Gandhi-

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:24 PM

From the link "We see our course as a chance for young Irish children to get an alternative view on how the world works." As opposed to creationism.

They also say the kids will read Dawkins' The Magic of Reality which is not a book on atheism but on reality.

I think they are just using atheism as a broad term for science and reality.

Edited by Odin11, 26 September 2013 - 06:26 PM.

"If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities." -Voltaire

Geology shows that fossils are of different ages. Paleontology shows a fossil sequence, the list of species represented changes through time. Taxonomy shows biological relationships among species. Evolution is the explanation that threads it all together. Creationism is the practice of squeezing one's eyes shut and wailing "Does not!" ~Author Unknown

#13    Kaa-Tzik

Kaa-Tzik

Psychic Spy

• 1,021 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:35 PM

In atheist states, like Soviet Union, "atheism" was not taught, there was no need, there was simply an abscence of religion in school, which is as it should be, imo.

#14    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 15,004 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:53 PM

View PostOdin11, on 26 September 2013 - 06:24 PM, said:

From the link "We see our course as a chance for young Irish children to get an alternative view on how the world works." As opposed to creationism.

They also say the kids will read Dawkins' The Magic of Reality which is not a book on atheism but on reality.

I think they are just using atheism as a broad term for science and reality.

Religion, or the lack thereof, does not belong in the same category as science. Religion and science are not incompatible.

#15    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 15,528 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:20 PM

"Richard Dawkins' The Magic of Reality is a key text in the first ever atheist curriculum for Irish schoolchildren."

I'm sure this move will cheer Richard Dawkins enormou$ly.

As with others here, though, I question what is there to teach? I could understand a curriculum of comparative religion, including atheism as an "alternate belief system", but the study of the natural world (if that is what this is) is not "Religious Education".

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

Also tagged with atheism, ireland, school

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users