Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

Mars water surprise in Curiosity sample

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 10,174 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:38 PM

Mars water surprise in Curiosity rover soil samples

This could be a useful resource for future astronauts, they say.

"If you think about a cubic foot of this dirt and you just heat it a little bit - a few hundred degrees - you'll actually get off about two pints of water - like two water bottles you'd take to the gym," Dr Leshin explained.

"And this dirt on Mars is interesting because it seems to be about the same everywhere you go. If you are a human explorer, this is really good news because you can quite easily extract water from almost anywhere.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-24287207

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#2    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Mainly Spherical in Shape

• 25,039 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:45 PM

View Postseeder, on 26 September 2013 - 07:38 PM, said:

Mars water surprise in Curiosity rover soil samples

This could be a useful resource for future astronauts, they say.

"If you think about a cubic foot of this dirt and you just heat it a little bit - a few hundred degrees - you'll actually get off about two pints of water - like two water bottles you'd take to the gym," Dr Leshin explained.

"And this dirt on Mars is interesting because it seems to be about the same everywhere you go. If you are a human explorer, this is really good news because you can quite easily extract water from almost anywhere.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-24287207
very interesting, but look a bit further down! It's a Pyramid!! :clap:

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#3    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 10,174 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:48 PM

View PostColonel Rhuairidh, on 26 September 2013 - 07:45 PM, said:

very interesting, but look a bit further down! It's a Pyramid!! :clap:

ha and i did not want to mention a pyramid shape on mars, it tends to attract the wrong sorts to this part of the forums :lol:

It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#4    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Mainly Spherical in Shape

• 25,039 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:48 PM

* Actually, more seriously, they say "heat it a little bit - a few hundred degrees". Assuming they mean C, is that because that's how much it'd take to boil the water off on Mars, seeing as there's not much atmosphere to speak of?

Edited by Colonel Rhuairidh, 26 September 2013 - 07:49 PM.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#5    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 10,174 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:53 PM

View PostColonel Rhuairidh, on 26 September 2013 - 07:48 PM, said:

* Actually, more seriously, they say "heat it a little bit - a few hundred degrees". Assuming they mean C, is that because that's how much it'd take to boil the water off on Mars, seeing as there's not much atmosphere to speak of?

Thats not a bad question at all. Mars is known to be pretty damned cold tho

temps here:
http://en.wikipedia....ars#Temperature

trypos!

Edited by seeder, 26 September 2013 - 07:53 PM.

#6    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,169 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:59 PM

View PostColonel Rhuairidh, on 26 September 2013 - 07:48 PM, said:

Boiling point DROPS as pressure decreases, so the simple answer to your question is no.

In fact on Mars the air pressure is so low that water sublimes. Water ice doesn't melt from solid to liquid it goes straight from solid to gas in the same way that dry ice (solid CO2) does on Earth. This is why it is impossible for there to be open bodies of pure liquid water on the surface of Mars today.

The article is not talking water as a separate, independent molecule. It is water that is chemically bonded to the soil. The particles of soil are of the hydrated, rather than anhydrous form. This is known as water of crystallization or water of hydration.

The temperature of several hundred degrees is the temperature required to break the chemical bonds, separating the water from the soil particles. Only then do we have water in the sense that we would recognise it.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf, 26 September 2013 - 11:28 PM.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#7    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 10,174 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:44 PM

I knew waspie would give the answer! :tu:

#8    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,169 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:19 PM

View Postseeder, on 26 September 2013 - 10:44 PM, said:

I knew waspie would give the answer! :tu:

Well, once upon a time I was a chemist. I may have forgotten most of it but sometimes I know what is going on.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#9    Almagest

Almagest

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 01:48 AM

Yay for science. This was a pleasant news story to wake up to. :P

Life is the result of the struggle between dynamic opposites Form & Chaos, Substance & Oblivion, Light & Dark And all the infinite variations of Yin & Yang
When the pendulum swings in favour of one It will eventually swing in favour of it's opposite Thus the balance of the universe is maintained

-Jeru the Damaja

#10    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 17,787 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:38 AM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 26 September 2013 - 09:59 PM, said:

Boiling point DROPS as pressure decreases, so the simple answer to your question is no.

In fact on Mars the air pressure is so low that water sublimes. Water ice doesn't melt from solid to liquid it goes straight from solid to gas in the same way that dry ice (solid CO2) does on Earth. This is why it is impossible for there to be open bodies of pure liquid water on the surface of Mars today.

The article is not talking water as a separate, independent molecule. It is water that is chemically bonded to the soil. The particles of soil are of the hydrated, rather than anhydrous form. This is known as water of crystallization or water of hydration.

The temperature of several hundred degrees is the temperature required to break the chemical bonds, separating the water from the soil particles. Only then do we have water in the sense that we would recognise it.

Good call Waspie,THere always could be Liquid water underground on Mars,We just need to Dig a bit ,THats why Man needs to go to Mars.Its getting very exciting the information coming from the Red Planet ! Keep THe Info Coming !

This is a Work in Progress!

#11    ExplainInTheAss

ExplainInTheAss

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 02:43 PM

Probably a whole civilization buried down there, watch.

#12    diablo_04

diablo_04

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

• I reject your reality and substitute my own

Posted 29 September 2013 - 03:07 PM

Is it me or i have read the same headline for at least one or two years "water found on mars" , almost every month I read the same headline.
Its not a news anymore, its time to move on!

Posted Image

I reject your reality and substitute my own

My site :D Workout tips

#13    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 17,787 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:09 PM

ITs not just you diablo 04 ITs the entire Planet, When Are we going to Put Man on Mars is my question ! ITs Just Money We cant take it to the Grave ! :tu:
Well some do ,Thats not the Point ! We need to Go to Mars with People ASAP , It Keeps our Imaginations going and Lots Of jobs  for people ! Makes the Earth people Smarter too !

This is a Work in Progress!

#14    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,169 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:38 PM

View Postdiablo_04, on 29 September 2013 - 03:07 PM, said:

Is it me or i have read the same headline for at least one or two years "water found on mars" , almost every month I read the same headline.
Its not a news anymore, its time to move on!

You don't seem to be understanding WHY it is news or the significance of the discovery. Some of us do, that is why we know things HAVE moved on.

Posted Image
Click on button

#15    dibatag

dibatag

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 45 posts

• Do not belive everything you are told is true

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:58 PM

Water on Mars! great news one less problem to solve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users