Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Timber Industry Suffers

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1    Kowalski

Kowalski

The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

• 4,102 posts

• It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:24 PM

The Rough and Ready Sawmill was an institution in southern Oregon for 91 years. Its lumber helped fuel the post-World War II building boom and settle the rural West. Now, it sits empty, the last of 22 mills in Josephine County to shut down for good, signaling the end of an era.

For Ivan Cross, it's the end of the only job he's ever had.
"I haven't drawn an unemployment check in 43-and-a-half years," said Cross. "Now, that's what I do for a living."
While Rough and Ready sits in the middle of America's richest timber country, the federal government owns 80 percent of the land. Many in these decimated small towns blame The Endangered Species Act, which paved the way for a flood of lawsuits blocking federal timber sales, because of an endangered species in the region.
"You just can't run a business, no matter how you adapt, if you don't have the raw materials and the log supply to run that business," said Link Phillippi, owner of Rough and Ready.
In the last two decades since the spotted owl was listed as an endangered species, more than 200 sawmills have closed in the Pacific Northwest directly killing 40,000 good-paying jobs. It has turned Josephine County, once Oregon's fastest growing, into its poorest with 30 percent of the residents using food stamps. One out of every five adults in Cave Junction, the closest city to Rough and Ready, is unemployed. When voters shot down a tax increase last year, the sheriff released most inmates and cut two-thirds of his department.
"You've lost the jobs that used to be here," said Oregon Republican Rep. Greg Walden. "You've lost the economy that used to be there, therefore you've lost the revenues for the basic services. It's becoming a lawless county."

Link: http://www.foxnews.c...intcmp=HPBucket

Me and my husband watch Ax Men, so this article caught my attention.....

Yet another example of how government regulations hurt economic growth and jobs....

Edited by Burt Gummer, 26 September 2013 - 10:25 PM.

#2    Wickian

Wickian

Doppelganger

• 4,610 posts

• Save it for Queen Doppelpoppellus!

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:33 PM

It is a hard balance conservation between economic security.  I'm torn on this particular issue.

#3    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 15,209 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:33 PM

sometimes you need to protect the environment at the expense of jobs.
It's crass and cruel, but if we don't preserve the natural world we as a species is stuffed.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

You may think you're cool, but you'll never be as cool as Peter Capaldi with an electric guitar, on a tank, playing the Doctor Who theme.

#4    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 8,316 posts

• I'd rather laugh than argue.

Choose your weapon.

Posted 27 September 2013 - 12:01 AM

Yeah, me too. I live in timber country so I can commiserate with Josephine County. We had a devastating setback with the mountain pine beetle infestation. Luckily mining picked up and we diversified with tourism and smaller industry.

But, if we don't protect the species at risk, soon we'll be the species at risk. It hurts, but you have to do it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users