Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

Box of Jewels found on top of French Glacier

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 11,911 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 27 September 2013 - 09:54 AM

So there you are, gingerly finding footholds and working your way up to the top of a glacier... without expecting to see much, and - blam - there in front of you is a box. You open it, and its filled with emeralds, rubies and sapphires....WOW!

Hand it in or keep it?  This guy handed it in...

Mysterious cache of jewels turns up atop French glacier

"It reads like the opening scene of an "Indiana Jones" movie.... A young man climbing a French glacier finds a cache of glittering jewels wrapped in bags stamped "Made in India" -- remnants, perhaps, of cargo from an ill-fated airliner called the Malabar Princess.

The best thing about it? This story is true.

It happened early this month on a glacier overlooking the southeastern French village of Chamonix, Albertville police Chief Sylvain Merly said Thursday.

The climber - who Merly said asked to remain anonymous - found the jewels inside a metal box atop the glacier. He turned them over to police in Bourg-Saint-Maurice on September 9.

http://edition.cnn.c....html?hpt=hp_t2

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#2    Kaa-Tzik

Kaa-Tzik

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 10:46 AM

View Postseeder, on 27 September 2013 - 09:54 AM, said:

The best thing about it? This story is true.

And that on the aircraft it is presumed to have come from was India's top nuclear scientist. There's quite some story here. Life outdoes fiction again.

#3    jesspy

jesspy

Full of Wisdumb

• 8,113 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 12:27 PM

They are mine I left them there for a reason. Give them back to me please. :yes:

Mind tricks don't work on me, only money.

#4    EnderOTD

EnderOTD

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts

• I tried to enter my favorite quote but the data limit was breached so you get this. Pretty anti-climatic isn't it?

Posted 27 September 2013 - 01:39 PM

I don't know about you, but I sure as hell would not remain anonymous so I could keep that treasure if nobody claimed it!!!

Edited by EnderOTD, 27 September 2013 - 01:40 PM.

#5    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:42 AM

I so would have kept that. It's not like some poor tourist dropped a box during a jaunt on a glacier

Miss me?

#6    Asadora

Asadora

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:25 AM

There is some hope in humanity after all. The anonymous guy did the right thing by handing them in. Good Karma for him! :tu:

"From time to time there appear on the face of the earth men of rare and consummate excellence, who dazzle us by their virtue, and whose outstanding qualities shed a stupendous light. Like those extraordinary stars of whose origins we are ignorant, and of whose fate, once they have vanished, we know even less, such men have neither forebears nor descendants: they are the whole of their race."  -- Jean de la Bruyere 1645-1696.

#7    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:51 AM

The company that sent it on the plane is probably not even in existence anymore.

Miss me?

#8    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 6,658 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:15 PM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 30 September 2013 - 09:51 AM, said:

The company that sent it on the plane is probably not even in existence anymore.

And I'm sure was insured for (at least) the cost of the missing cargo...

If I found a wallet (or purse) on a street corner I would turn it in without hesitation... But something that has obviously been there for years, and is not of obvious historical value (like the lost jewelry of "Troy" or something)
then I would most likely keep it...

Saying it's good "karma" to turn it in (to whom?) is assuming that it wasnt my 'karma' to find it...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users