Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Pregnant woman 'humiliated' by barman

jane hampson pregnant glass of wine serve bartender

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,630 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:34 AM

Jane Hampson, 37, who is expecting her first child and currently past her due date, had been out for a walk with her partner before stopping at a bar for a drink.

However, to her astonishment and embarrassment the bartender said he would not sell her a small glass of red wine because of her condition.

http://www.telegraph...ss-of-wine.html

Posted Image

#2    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,518 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:53 AM

Good on him. She looks as if she is about to drop any minute.
MISS should be concentrating on getting her hospital bag ready and maybe marrying the father of her child before she even thinks about alcohol.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#3    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 15,585 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:16 PM

"...all the customers were looking over at us to see what all the commotion was about."

In other words, she made a fuss in the pub and that is what embarrassed her. The barman was within his rights to refuse service. She should have accepted that and not made a fuss about it.

"...so he had no reason not to serve me."

He obviously did have a reason, but that's beside the point. In a privately run establishment the barman (or management) don't need a reason to not serve you. They can simply decide to not do so.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#4    Princess Serenity

Princess Serenity

✻ Qᴜᴇᴇɴ Eʟsᴀ

• 8,397 posts

• "There's nothing to fear but fear itself." Franklin D Roosevelt.

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:54 PM

-.- Seriously woman. Don't you know the do's and don'ts of being pregnant? If I lived in the area, I would high five the bartender.

#5    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:39 AM

allegedly, you're  allowed alcohol late in your third trimester.
There's still a debate about it.
Most women don't want to compromise the baby at all, so they abstain.

Given it was a small glass of wine, and she's now overdue, I can understand why she wanted it.
I don't think one small glass of wine would hurt. It's the abuse of alcohol that causes the problems.
I think he was cool to do that though.

Edited by Simbi Laveau, 29 September 2013 - 10:09 AM.

Miss me?

#6    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,630 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:54 PM

I can see both sides to this. The pregnant woman wanted a glass of wine, if she wants to drink in her condition then that's her business. The bartender was concerned about serving her because he feared it might harm her unborn baby. While that might be an unusual thing for him to do, I can't judge him for doing that because he did what he thought was right. In fact he was more concerned about the baby's health than the mother was.

Edited by Still Waters, 29 September 2013 - 08:56 PM.

Posted Image

#7    MissMelsWell

MissMelsWell

Cosmic Baker

• 13,259 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:46 PM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 29 September 2013 - 09:39 AM, said:

allegedly, you're  allowed alcohol late in your third trimester.
There's still a debate about it.
Most women don't want to compromise the baby at all, so they abstain.

Given it was a small glass of wine, and she's now overdue, I can understand why she wanted it.
I don't think one small glass of wine would hurt. It's the abuse of alcohol that causes the problems.
I think he was cool to do that though.

That's kind of where I am. If a woman is that late into her pregnancy, the risk is almost non-existant if she limited it to one small glass on that one occasion. And, if she has been drinking all through her pregnancy, the damage is already done. I'm also on the side of the bartender... he doesn't have to serve anyone he doesn't feel like serving for any reason. If she wanted a glass of wine that bad, she could have bought one at the store and taken it home, entire problem of being embarassed solved right there.

"It's time for the American people to stand up and shrug off the shackles of our government at TSA at the airport"  Ron Paul

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

#8    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,769 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 12:50 AM

Hah... Some big bank executive making all this fuss and commotion. Good on the bar tender. At my work one customer who frequents the place firstly came up to the counter and put her baby down on it (it was born a few days ago). She then forgot something. Took her baby. Came back in the store without it. Went looking around the store for a bit and then came back to the counter. My fellow work mate served her and asked her where her baby was. She responded with, I left him in the car.

Sometimes, regardless whether you're working in a job where you could even be fired for speaking out. It's the right thing to do. Leaving a baby unattended in the car is illegal here.

What annoys me is this self entitled bank exec want to put this barmans job and business in jeopardy because she wants to drink alcohol. At least the guy showed some concern and probably wasn't aware at what stage her pregnancy was at. But then again this self absorbed woman probably expects everyone to know it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users