Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

Children and Guns: The Hidden Toll


  • Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#1    questionmark

questionmark

    Cinicus Magnus

  • Member
  • 36,343 posts
  • Joined:26 Jun 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Greece and Des Moines, IA

  • In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:47 AM

NY Times said:


The .45-caliber pistol that killed Lucas Heagren, 3, on Memorial Day last year at his Ohio home had been temporarily hidden under the couch by his father. But Lucas found it and shot himself through the right eye. “It’s bad,” his mother told the 911 dispatcher. “It’s really bad.”

A few days later in Georgia, Cassie Culpepper, 11, was riding in the back of a pickup with her 12-year-old brother and two other children. Her brother started playing with a pistol his father had lent him to scare coyotes. Believing he had removed all the bullets, he pointed the pistol at his sister and squeezed the trigger. It fired, and blood poured from Cassie’s mouth.

Just a few weeks earlier, in Houston, a group of youths found a Glock pistol in an apartment closet while searching for snack money. A 15-year-old boy was handling the gun when it went off. Alex Whitfield, who had just turned 11, was struck. A relative found the bullet in his ashes from the funeral home.

Read more


A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#2    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

    Blue fish

  • Member
  • 14,829 posts
  • Joined:22 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

  • fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 29 September 2013 - 12:50 PM

And on and on it goes.  Sad when it is so unnecessary except for ideology and selfishness.


#3    DeWitz

DeWitz

    DeWitz

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts
  • Joined:11 Feb 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Niagara Frontier

  • "Follow me, it's in Room 101."
    Clyde P. Fesmire, PhD

Posted 29 September 2013 - 01:13 PM

It would be interesting to track how many such 'responsible' parents are ever prosecuted along the lines of negligent homicide, reckless endangerment, etc.

[previously incarnate as 'szentgyorgy']

"Things fall apart. . . it's scientific." - Talking Heads

#4    Kaa-Tzik

Kaa-Tzik

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts
  • Joined:23 Aug 2013
  • Gender:Male

Posted 29 September 2013 - 01:19 PM

It's not only children with guns that is a concern, there is also this horror.

Attached Thumbnails

  • z01.jpg

Edited by Kaa-Tzik, 29 September 2013 - 01:21 PM.


#5    TheVeryFirstDinosaur

TheVeryFirstDinosaur

    Paranormal Investigator

  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts
  • Joined:18 Apr 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Lancaster, SC

  • Local Community Wizard

Posted 29 September 2013 - 01:27 PM

God. This is leaking with one sided, biased journalism.


#6    spartan max2

spartan max2

    Poltergeist

  • Member
  • 3,108 posts
  • Joined:15 Nov 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ohio

  • People get mad when it rains or it shines but no one gets mad at the moon

Posted 29 September 2013 - 01:38 PM

Another gun related thread


Posted Image

Edited by spartan max2, 29 September 2013 - 01:39 PM.

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#7    Rafterman

Rafterman

    Telekinetic

  • Member
  • 7,409 posts
  • Joined:27 Sep 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Upstate

Posted 29 September 2013 - 01:52 PM

*
POPULAR

Life is not 100% safe.  Government and regulation cannot keep everyone safe - especially from ourselves and, as in these cases, from irresponsible parents.  Accidents will always occur and even if one accepts the author's notion that firearms accidents involving children are under reported by roughly half, that figure is still incredibly low given that there are 300 million privately owned firearms in the United States.  And, frankly, the percentage is even lower as the article makes a point to mention police officers and their government issued sidearms are also involved in such accidents.  

In every example cited in the story, the adults responsible for safe guarding the welfare of their children made serious errors in judgement that would make any responsible gun owner cringe.  One cannot legislate intelligence.  I recently heard a PSA on the radio that claimed that 70% of all child car seats are improperly installed.  How many of those lead to death and injury among children?  How many parents improperly store household chemicals that lead to accidental poisonings.  How many don't control access to swimming pools.  How many ignore safety recommendations when installing playgrounds.  How many don't properly fit bicycle helmets?  How many don't vaccinate their children?  

Does anyone really think that any amount of legislation would stop such accidents from happening?

Edited by Rafterman, 29 September 2013 - 01:53 PM.

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#8    Bavarian Raven

Bavarian Raven

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts
  • Joined:14 Sep 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:British Columbia

Posted 29 September 2013 - 02:02 PM

^ totally agreee


#9    TheVeryFirstDinosaur

TheVeryFirstDinosaur

    Paranormal Investigator

  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts
  • Joined:18 Apr 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Lancaster, SC

  • Local Community Wizard

Posted 29 September 2013 - 02:15 PM

In before the always successful "Hrrr you're a gunnut who is ignorant and selfish even though my personal arguments and opinions are oozing with those very same traits" method.




#10    Stellar

Stellar

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 14,903 posts
  • Joined:27 Apr 2004
  • Gender:Male

  • The objective of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the other son of a b**** die for his!
    -Patton

Posted 29 September 2013 - 03:12 PM

View PostShrine Builder, on 29 September 2013 - 01:27 PM, said:

God. This is leaking with one sided, biased journalism.

Biased? Of course its biased. Anything that doesn't portray guns as incapable of doing harm, anything that doesn't portray guns as the symbol of life, love and liberty itself is biased and therefore wrong. Thats how it works, right?

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent."

----Seraphina

#11    Kowalski

Kowalski

    The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

  • Member
  • 4,102 posts
  • Joined:14 Mar 2013
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:* Madgascar *

  • It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 29 September 2013 - 03:29 PM

View PostRafterman, on 29 September 2013 - 01:52 PM, said:

Life is not 100% safe.  Government and regulation cannot keep everyone safe - especially from ourselves and, as in these cases, from irresponsible parents.  Accidents will always occur and even if one accepts the author's notion that firearms accidents involving children are under reported by roughly half, that figure is still incredibly low given that there are 300 million privately owned firearms in the United States.  And, frankly, the percentage is even lower as the article makes a point to mention police officers and their government issued sidearms are also involved in such accidents.  

In every example cited in the story, the adults responsible for safe guarding the welfare of their children made serious errors in judgement that would make any responsible gun owner cringe.  One cannot legislate intelligence.  I recently heard a PSA on the radio that claimed that 70% of all child car seats are improperly installed.  How many of those lead to death and injury among children?  How many parents improperly store household chemicals that lead to accidental poisonings.  How many don't control access to swimming pools.  How many ignore safety recommendations when installing playgrounds.  How many don't properly fit bicycle helmets?  How many don't vaccinate their children?  

Does anyone really think that any amount of legislation would stop such accidents from happening?

Great post! :tu:

And no, no amount of legislation is going to stop gun accidents from happening. Sh!t happens, folks. That's life. You can't have the government there 24/7 to babysit you.


#12    spartan max2

spartan max2

    Poltergeist

  • Member
  • 3,108 posts
  • Joined:15 Nov 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ohio

  • People get mad when it rains or it shines but no one gets mad at the moon

Posted 29 September 2013 - 03:32 PM

View PostStellar, on 29 September 2013 - 03:12 PM, said:

Biased? Of course its biased. Anything that doesn't portray guns as incapable of doing harm, anything that doesn't portray guns as the symbol of life, love and liberty itself is biased and therefore wrong. Thats how it works, right?

Soo you jump to the opposite extreme of biased?

Why cant we just have a neutral article :innocent:

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#13    questionmark

questionmark

    Cinicus Magnus

  • Member
  • 36,343 posts
  • Joined:26 Jun 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Greece and Des Moines, IA

  • In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 29 September 2013 - 03:34 PM

View Postspartan max2, on 29 September 2013 - 03:32 PM, said:

Soo you jump to the opposite extreme of biased?

Why cant we just have a neutral article :innocent:

Does that make any of those kids alive again?

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#14    spartan max2

spartan max2

    Poltergeist

  • Member
  • 3,108 posts
  • Joined:15 Nov 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ohio

  • People get mad when it rains or it shines but no one gets mad at the moon

Posted 29 September 2013 - 03:38 PM

and now we switch to emotional appeal :su

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#15    aztek

aztek

    Telekinetic

  • Member
  • 6,974 posts
  • Joined:12 Nov 2006

Posted 29 September 2013 - 05:15 PM

http://www.childdeat...rtalitydata.htm.

in 2007, unintentional child death.
motor vehicle 6683
firearms  138

Edited by aztek, 29 September 2013 - 05:18 PM.

RESIDENT TROLL.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users