Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The end of year spending spree

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,019 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 29 September 2013 - 02:41 PM

Washington Post said:

This past week, the Department of Veterans Affairs bought $562,000 worth of artwork.

In a single day, the Agriculture Department spent $144,000 on toner cartridges.

And, in a single purchase, the Coast Guard spent $178,000 on “Cubicle Furniture Rehab.”

This string of big-ticket purchases was an unmistakable sign: It was “use it or lose it” season again in Washington.

Read more

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#2    acidhead

acidhead

Were Not Your Slaves!

• 10,347 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 05:37 PM

Last week I went to the garbage dump and some government employee dumped around 25 office chairs.  The kind used at computer desks, leather... nothing wrong with them.... they must have been valued at around 300-450 $ each.  My friend who was with me took 4.  I told him you may as well.. you and I are paying for them anyhow.

"there is no wrong or right - just popular opinion"

#3    Gromdor

Gromdor

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:16 PM

I've seen this quite a bit in the military.  The use it or lose it methodology that the government uses makes me sad about the waste considering that any effort at efficiency and cost saving that you do only ends up hurting you the following year.  Basically, you get an allowance and you have to spend it all.  Reminds me of Brewster's Millions.

#4    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

Is not a number!

• 9,682 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:10 PM

The whole "you didn't use all your budget this year, next year it'll be what you did use" is insane.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users