Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The biggest problem with UFOlogy

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#1    ambelamba

ambelamba

Just an average guy who tries to be...NORMAL!!!!

• 3,356 posts

• It's good to be mildly skeptical to remain sane. But too much of it will make you a douche.

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:45 AM

The biggest problem is UFOlogy is that people try to make money out of it.

And we all know how it goes. Rather than being somewhat agnostic about UFOs and aliens, people tend to go whole nine yards and come up with some really wild (kindly speaking) stuff. In my observation, vast majority of UFOlogists are in for money, including Charles Hall and Steven Greer.

Well, if we are brutally honest about UFOlogy, the we won't have that many books on this subject. Probably the saner side of belief is that something's happening and something's out there. Beside that we have no idea what's really going on.

Same thing can be said on paleo-contact hypothesis. I gotta be honest, I consider that it is worth exploring. Even Carl Sagan didn't rule out the possibility. The problem is that we really don't have solid evidence of it. And I am NOT talking about pyramid of Giza or Stonehenge.

Like many egyptologists, I feel furious when people underestimate the human capability. You will be surprised what WE can do when the right conditions are applied. Building a pyramid? Yep, we can do it. Just whip the crap out lazy bums and feed and pay well the motivated workers. It can be done. Same with Stonehenge.

The most likely explanation of paleo-contact thing is that it might have happened much older than we speculate. Probably it happened around the emergence of homo sapiens, which is about 100,000 years ago. If the contact was made at that time, it can be reasonable to assume that any kind of evidence was pretty much destroyed without trace.

They came with a Bible and their religion. stole our land, crushed our spirit, and now they tell us we should be thankful to the Lord for being saved.

-Chief Pontiac (1718-1769)

#2    MrBene

MrBene

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

• A regular guy

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:18 AM

Yeah, many ufologists fabric their own pieces of evidence and many people fake videos, photos and more in order to "make believe" non-believers. The thing is, most of us, we do believe that there is life out there, but certainly not in the way media wants to show us.

#3    EnderOTD

EnderOTD

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 478 posts

• I tried to enter my favorite quote but the data limit was breached so you get this. Pretty anti-climatic isn't it?

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:29 AM

It is so damn true that many a money can be made.  Just gather a few loosley related pictures, artifacts, stories and write a book.  The thing is you dont even have to get a highschool diploma, go to college, or get a degree in any respectable field, you can still be a world renowned Ufologist.  Hell you can be ousted as a fraud numerous times and still be taken seriously.  Just have to have the gift of gab and a gullible market base to exploit.

#4    skookum

skookum

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:46 AM

Totally agree with you.  

However on the other side I suppose it costs money to investigate.  Travelling to meet witnesses, analyzing pictures and video all costs I suppose.  Plus they like all their own equipment, they shouldn't fabricate anything but I suspect some do.

Posted Image

#5    Kaa-Tzik

Kaa-Tzik

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:21 AM

People are of course free to believe any nonsense they like, even make money out of propogating their nonsense, after all, nobody forces us to buy this rubbish, and caveat emptor applies. Though the peddlers of self delusional fantasies, pseudo science and outright fraud should be mercilessly exposed for the charlatans they are. Now I don't say we cannot dream, for we all like mysteries, and I do not say we cannot share our dreams, for not every book that is printed in the general "mysteries/UFO" category is some cynical fraud designed to seperate people from their money. I have books on these subjects, and many are entertaining and harmless. The problem is with the likes of the "professional" ufologists etc, people who know they are lying and do so as it is their way of earning a living. The modern snake oil sellers that nowadays mostly sell their fake goods on numerous documentaries, many of which are adverts for a book. Knowingly selling a false idea for $ is no less criminal that selling fake watches, imo. The problem with doing anything about these charlatans in law is that it would have to be proved that they are in fact lying. They know it, we know it, but the law needs evidence, and this inability to prove beyond reasonable doubt that a con trick is being perpetrated allows the criminals to continue defrauding the gullible. Now I hope some people do not get the wrong end of the stick here and think I call anybody who believes in UFOs and other mysteries a criminal, or gullible, far from it, for I myself actually wish some of these things to be true as they are so fascinating. This is aimed at the target the OP has pointed out, the professional charlatans, the cynics who themselves do not believe in what they preach, the dealers in psuedo science and outright lies wanting to steal our money.

Edited by Kaa-Tzik, 01 October 2013 - 08:52 AM.

#6    Star Man

Star Man

Apparition

• Closed
  • PipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:58 PM

The problem is that most people think they could solve the mystery with what do they learn from the school, so they study ufology “scientifically” and with those “sense”. they do not consider the UFO may not obey our physical law. The exposures of ufo are depend on alien not from us. You just check on those major ufo research organization, how much do they know about ufo objects, especially those ufo light balls…..?

#7    Star Man

Star Man

Apparition

• Closed
  • PipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:14 PM

Most problems of UFOlogy is commentator pretend to be an expert, people who have seen few times ufo or write few article about it, that does not mean they become an ufo expert. in fact they do not know what are the UFO.

#8    zoser

zoser

Sapphire

• 10,009 posts

• It is later than you think.

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:27 PM

View Postambelamba, on 01 October 2013 - 03:45 AM, said:

The biggest problem is UFOlogy is that people try to make money out of it.

No it's not the biggest problem at all.

If you want to appreciate where it all went wrong then you have to look at the continual pattern or denial, cover up. deception and information monopoly.

That's where the problem still lies.

Then having expressed frustration at all of this over the last 70 years, people have tried to exploit this thirst for disclosure, by generating a hoaxing industry.  At first it was not too big a problem.  Now with the aid of modern technology things have gotten well and truly out of hand.

The net result is that it plays into the hands of the authorities who own the information more and more.

The investigators are entitled to make money if it keeps the information flowing and so are the witnesses for the same reason.  But I would strongly suggest that this is nothing in comparison to the culture of secrecy.

Edited by zoser, 07 October 2013 - 07:28 PM.

Posted Image

#9    Spacenut56

Spacenut56

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:36 PM

View Postzoser, on 07 October 2013 - 07:27 PM, said:

No it's not the biggest problem at all.

If you want to appreciate where it all went wrong then you have to look at the continual pattern or denial, cover up. deception and information monopoly.

That's where the problem still lies.

Then having expressed frustration at all of this over the last 70 years, people have tried to exploit this thirst for disclosure, by generating a hoaxing industry.  At first it was not too big a problem.  Now with the aid of modern technology things have gotten well and truly out of hand.

The net result is that it plays into the hands of the authorities who own the information more and more.

The investigators are entitled to make money if it keeps the information flowing and so are the witnesses for the same reason.  But I would strongly suggest that this is nothing in comparison to the culture of secrecy.

I agree 1000%. Two entities that come to mind when I think of secrecy and coverup are yes, the U.S. Government, and yes, NASA. Both in my opinion are in deep denial about what is really going on in the skies of the world. At least one of these entities tries to cast doubt and refuses to comment on anything to do with ufo's even though its astronauts over the courses of decades have seen things that NASA continues to deny or won't comment on. The question is why not????

#10    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 10,242 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:47 PM

View PostSpacenut56, on 07 October 2013 - 07:36 PM, said:

I agree 1000%. Two entities that come to mind when I think of secrecy and coverup are yes, the U.S. Government, and yes, NASA. Both in my opinion are in deep denial about what is really going on in the skies of the world. At least one of these entities tries to cast doubt and refuses to comment on anything to do with ufo's even though its astronauts over the courses of decades have seen things that NASA continues to deny or won't comment on. The question is why not????

as I seem to keep on saying, NASA, are not the only ones to have gone in space, The Russians and Chinese and Japanese have all surveyed the Moon for example, they have all sent craft there for all kinds of mapping. The Bonus with the Japanese and the Chinese of course is that they have done this recently, therefore with much better cameras and gear than the early NASA missions.

So  if NASA are covering stuff up, why haven't the Chinese Russians and Japanese revealed that NASA and the US govts are lying? They all 'know' whats on the moon in this instance. And China and Russia especially would love to shame the US govt by publicly proving they lied. But its never happened. There are no secrets.

And again I repeat, just about every developed nation has space agencies, and many have made rocket launches into space, incl the UK, and observe space just as much as nasa does. But are they all lying too?

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#11    Spacenut56

Spacenut56

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:50 PM

Some possibly are IMO. I know France has been quite open about their coverage of ufo's, and I thought Russia had opened up considerably about them as well, unless things have changed and I am wrong.

#12    zoser

zoser

Sapphire

• 10,009 posts

• It is later than you think.

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:53 PM

View Postseeder, on 07 October 2013 - 07:47 PM, said:

as I seem to keep on saying, NASA, are not the only ones to have gone in space, The Russians and Chinese and Japanese have all surveyed the Moon for example, they have all sent craft there for all kinds of mapping. The Bonus with the Japanese and the Chinese of course is that they have done this recently, therefore with much better cameras and gear than the early NASA missions.

So  if NASA are covering stuff up, why haven't the Chinese Russians and Japanese revealed that NASA and the US govts are lying? They all 'know' whats on the moon in this instance. And China and Russia especially would love to shame the US govt by publicly proving they lied. But its never happened. There are no secrets.

And again I repeat, just about every developed nation has space agencies, and many have made rocket launches into space, incl the UK, and observe space just as much as nasa does. But are they all lying too?

The Russian Cosmonauts made many reports.  There is no need for me to post them here; just do a little research.  As for the Chinese, well who knows what they have or haven't seen; I would be willing to bet that their desperation to achieve technological and military parity with the US has meant that they just can't be bothered with unexplained orbs in space.  They have much bigger fish to fry.  Indifference.  

That's it.

Edited by zoser, 07 October 2013 - 07:54 PM.

Posted Image

#13    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,194 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:19 PM

View PostStar Man, on 02 October 2013 - 07:58 PM, said:

The problem is that most people think they could solve the mystery with what do they learn from the school, so they study ufology “scientifically” and with those “sense”. they do not consider the UFO may not obey our physical law. The exposures of ufo are depend on alien not from us. You just check on those major ufo research organization, how much do they know about ufo objects, especially those ufo light balls…..?

UFO doesn't mean alien. Sorry.

Unless you're saying you've already some how identified them as alien, then I guess I'd be asking how you've done that?

Edited by Rlyeh, 07 October 2013 - 08:20 PM.

#14    Star Man

Star Man

Apparition

• Closed
  • PipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:36 PM

ven I tell you how I've done that, you still can not get it.  you must be a contacter or encounter whom choosed by alien(?)
many ufologists after got my information they try to find it. I think they only can see ufos, not alien.
The exposures of [font="""]alien is not depend [/font]with much better cameras and geare......

Edited by Star Man, 07 October 2013 - 08:44 PM.

#15    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,194 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:38 PM

View PostStar Man, on 07 October 2013 - 08:36 PM, said:

even I tell you how I've done that, you still can not get it.  you must be a contacter or encounter whom choosed by alien(?)
many ufologists after got my information they try to find it. I think they only can see ufos, not alien.
What methods have you used to determine UFOs are alien?

Edit: I was talking about verifiable evidence, not anecdotes.

Edited by Rlyeh, 07 October 2013 - 08:42 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users