Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Domestic cats are 95% tiger

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1    UM-Bot

UM-Bot

News, media and articles

• 6,196 posts

• Beep Boop

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:02 AM

Researchers have succeeded in sequencing the genome of several species of endangered big cats.

Cat lovers might be forgiven for thinking that their beloved pet cats are far removed from their larger and more fearsome cousins, but amazingly domestic moggies have been found to share up to 95. 6% of the same DNA as tigers, a species from which they diverged 10. 8 million years ago.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...ts-are-95-tiger

This is an official comment thread for a main site news story, article or video.
Please keep comments civil and on topic.
Thank you.

#2    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 16,906 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:38 AM

RAWRRRR!!!

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#3    Ealdwita

Ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 5,115 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:42 AM

Nah...mine are 150% 'lazy b****r'!

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#4    highdesert50

highdesert50

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:00 PM

And, humans and chimps can have 95% to 98.5% similar DNA depending on which nucleotides are counted and which are excluded. I, nevertheless, don't consider myself much of a tree hanger.

#5    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 7,086 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:31 PM

My moggies have gained a new respect from me, at least until the next time they annoy me.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#6    Asadora

Asadora

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:32 PM

I should explain this to my mother's cat, Sammy. Sammy thinks he is a dog. He'll sleep on the dog's bed. Both of my mother's dogs will groom Sammy, in turn Sammy will groom the dogs by combing their tails with his claws or spitting and licking their fur. And Sammy likes to eat (steal) dogfood from each of the dog's bowl.
He refuses to hunt for mice (that task goes to the other cat, who is an excellent huntress) When either of the dog's makes an alert bark, Sammy will run into the front room and meow at the door.

Most often what is unexplainable is the behaviour of our beloved furry friends. However, it is fun to try to figure it out all as to why they do the questionable, yet entertaining antics they show us!

:tu:

Edited by Asadora, 01 October 2013 - 02:32 PM.

"From time to time there appear on the face of the earth men of rare and consummate excellence, who dazzle us by their virtue, and whose outstanding qualities shed a stupendous light. Like those extraordinary stars of whose origins we are ignorant, and of whose fate, once they have vanished, we know even less, such men have neither forebears nor descendants: they are the whole of their race."  -- Jean de la Bruyere 1645-1696.

#7    Resh

Resh

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 156 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:27 PM

were 95% chimp no?

.                                                                   Posted Image

#8    Calibeliever

Calibeliever

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts

• The greatest of faults, I should say, is to be conscious of none. - Thomas Carlyle

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:44 PM

There are times when my cat looks at me as if to say, "If I were 40lbs heavier, you'd be lunch".

#9    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 6,162 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:51 PM

I think my cat already knew that. I see the way he looks at me...

"You do not teach the paths of the forest to an old gorilla."

"It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired - you quit when the gorilla is tired."

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#10    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:12 PM

"Other findings included the identification of the various genes that make the big cats big"

Oh great, here we go, now a commercial market will appear to breed exotic large domestic cats the size of retrievers.

#11    Ealdwita

Ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 5,115 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:21 PM

View Postredhen, on 01 October 2013 - 05:12 PM, said:

"Other findings included the identification of the various genes that make the big cats big"

Oh great, here we go, now a commercial market will appear to breed exotic large domestic cats the size of retrievers.

Looks like they've already started.....

Posted Image

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#12    Finity

Finity

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:32 PM

A bit miss-leading. All living things on Earth share most of their DNA. It's only a small percentage that makes the difference :P

Edited by Finity, 01 October 2013 - 07:33 PM.

#13    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,124 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:37 PM

Hardly shocking, aside from the obvious things like size, since they have nearly the same general body plan. In fact they say that if you were to skin a tiger and a lion you would be hard pressed to identify which animal was which. There are subtle differences (i.e. the Cheetah does not have retractable claws, and the Serval has very long legs) but this would be no more surprising than to say equines or canines have roughly 95% the same DNA when comparing the domestic horse and dog to wild horses and wild dogs and wolves.

Using a little gene manipulation perhaps we can produce a house cat with Smilodon's choppers! Nice kitty........

#14    DecoNoir

DecoNoir

The Entertainer

• 2,745 posts

• ... The Aristocrats.

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:47 PM

I'd say tigers are 95% domestic cat. After all, I don't remember hearing about tigers wiping out entire species, haha.

http://en.wikipedia....ens_Island_Wren

I reject your reality, and substitute my own! Mostly because yours is boring as hell.

#15    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:16 PM

View PostFinity, on 01 October 2013 - 07:32 PM, said:

A bit miss-leading. All living things on Earth share most of their DNA. It's only a small percentage that makes the difference :P

True. From what I've heard, we share 50% of our DNA with bananas. Insert your own joke here ....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users