Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Spritural childhood

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1    markdohle

markdohle

Alien Abducter

• 5,414 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 12:27 PM

Spiritual childhood
(Feast of St. Therese of the Child Jesus)

Words like littleness and spiritual childhood, do not always receive a positive response from people.  Perhaps it is because at its root it shows us our actual stance not only towards the world, but especially, our relationship with God.

We are I suppose powerful beings in our own right, but in the end it is an illusion.  For the littlest thing can bring us either close to death, or to death itself.  Many die young, perhaps 50% of the population die before they are 75, after that, well time takes care of the rest.

The truth can set us free.  What is that truth?  We are like the flowers of the field, we open up to life, grow, flower, wither and die.  Well those who actually live long enough for that to happen.  Is it depressing to think on such things? I don’t think so, for in fact the sooner we come to the reality of that truth, perhaps the freer we can become.

Our lives are a gift.  We did not call ourselves into existence.  Nor did we bestow on ourselves our giftedness, though we may have to work hard to develop them.  We did not choose our families, a sad fact for many.  Our health, our looks, can be taken at any time, as well as those we love.  Our loved ones are the greatest gift of all.  It is one way that we bestow grace on one another,  in our love and friendship.  

We give back by how we respond.  Children know that they are dependent on their parents for their livelihood.  We are taught to become independent, which is good, but the existential reality is that we really aren’t.  Everything we have, know, work for is there because we live with others, in a certain culture and time.  We do have a choice in what we do with what we have been given, or graced with, yet it is all given.  If we become strong it is because we have to fight for what we have.  If we are successful, well, it is others who allow that to happen; by their challenges as well as support.  Our failures as well come about because of how we react.  Although we may have to retort by rejecting what our culture and yes at times our religions and philosophical traditions, tell us what is successful or not.  

Go deep enough, existence itself, did not bring on its own being, no it comes from that which is self-existent, all else flows from that, so all is a gift.  So what is of deepest importance is how we respond.  To answer in a life giving way is the way of spiritual childhood, for it is based on reality at its most profound level.

#2    Beany

Beany

Government Agent

• 3,789 posts

• If music is the most universal language just think of me as one whole note. Nikki Giovanni

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:46 PM

"how we respond", yes, may be the most important thing. Do we respond as children, or as thinking, compassionate adults? Do we point at the world and tell ourselves that's why we're the way we are, or do we take full responsibility for our lives and our actions. Wonderful post, Mark.

#3    JMPD1

JMPD1

Child of the Universe

• 6,022 posts

• you want to know the answer? Hell, I'm still working on the question!

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:09 PM

There is a saying  "All men are created equal...." but in reality, that statement is false.  In a perfect world, all men would be equal in regards to their rights as granted under the law of the land, but in all other matters it is a null statement.

If indeed, all men (and I include women as well) were created equal, there would be no outstanding athletes, scholars, doctors, businessmen, musicians, writers, or artists, since all would have the same level of talent.  

The reality is that whatever we become is by our own efforts.  Of course, there are exceptions to this, e.g. the Paris Hilton's and Kardashians of the world; but for the most part it is we who decide where our path lies.

Quote of the Year 2006: HAY! I did more then just say I wanna be ina a man sammich! - SC

You have the right to remain silent.  You might want to think about exercising that right more often

Not Another Moment Lost To Seizures

#4    markdohle

markdohle

Alien Abducter

• 5,414 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 04:10 PM

View PostBeany, on 01 October 2013 - 01:46 PM, said:

"how we respond", yes, may be the most important thing. Do we respond as children, or as thinking, compassionate adults? Do we point at the world and tell ourselves that's why we're the way we are, or do we take full responsibility for our lives and our actions. Wonderful post, Mark.

Thank you my friend, it is always such a pleasure hearing from you.

Peace
Mark

View PostJMPD1, on 01 October 2013 - 10:09 PM, said:

There is a saying  "All men are created equal...." but in reality, that statement is false.  In a perfect world, all men would be equal in regards to their rights as granted under the law of the land, but in all other matters it is a null statement.

If indeed, all men (and I include women as well) were created equal, there would be no outstanding athletes, scholars, doctors, businessmen, musicians, writers, or artists, since all would have the same level of talent.  

The reality is that whatever we become is by our own efforts.  Of course, there are exceptions to this, e.g. the Paris Hilton's and Kardashians of the world; but for the most part it is we who decide where our path lies.

Not sure I would want to be either one of those people LOL.

Peace
Mark

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users