Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

Hearing things?


  • Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1    Old Sparky

Old Sparky

    Extraterrestrial Entity

  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  • Joined:28 Sep 2013
  • Gender:Female

Posted 05 October 2013 - 12:50 PM

This happens a lot what I am about to tell you but I am needing help with it as I'm not sure if I am the cause of it (hearing things) or if something more sinister is going on. I would be on my own in the house usually upstairs on the computer and would hear my parent's car park up by the house, I hear the sound of them opening the car boot, open and shut the front door and call up to me telling me they are back which they always do. I call down to say I'll be down to them in a minute and when I do there's no one there. I usually call them on their mobile and they would be miles away from the house. It really creeps me out and has been happening quite frequently over the past year or so now.
Its just me, my parents and a dog who's outside. When they are gone shopping I hear them come in with the bags, plonk them up on the counter, take out the items and put them in the fridge and cupboard all the while talking amongst each other. As soon as I reach the stairs its eerily quiet all around.
When my other dog was with us I would hear him bark being let out of the car(the other: our current dog doesn't bark) and told to be quiet whilst being brought in. The front door has a loud slam when closed but when I went down, nothing. I was told on another forum it could be residential energy?


#2    DeWitz

DeWitz

    DeWitz

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,641 posts
  • Joined:11 Feb 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Niagara Frontier

  • "Follow me, it's in Room 101."
    Clyde P. Fesmire, PhD

Posted 05 October 2013 - 01:07 PM

"Residential" or "residual" energy?

I'm no expert, but I've had experiences of hyper-sensitive hearing, or--as others might call it--hearing things that others didn't/don't. I was sure a couple of times that my wife came in to the bedroom to speak to me while I was awakening; even subtracting the one time alcohol was involved, I can't explain it when she denied ever coming in. Other times, even in a group, I have heard low-level (low frequency?) sounds like distant thunder,, planes, helicopters fireworks or gunshot/engine backfires that others don't.

My scenarios are less narrative-like than yours. You seem to have activity (groceries, 'plonk,' the dog) in your episodes. In the past 2-3 years I have noticed my hearing is diminishing when it comes to medium -level conversational tones--probably a simple function of age for me.

A good start might be to have your hearing tested by a competent speech and hearing pathologist (as they are called in the US) after gross anatomical examination of your ears by a doc or nurse practitioner. This would rule in/out any physical reason(s) for hearing anomalies.

I'm probably in a minority, but I think there is such a thing as "anticipatory hearing." Sometimes we may hear what we expect to hear in the very near future, especially with household routines like shopping, pet care, etc. that are repeated with regularity and predictability. That would help explain some of my episodes.

In any event, I wish you well.

[previously incarnate as 'szentgyorgy']

"Things fall apart. . . it's scientific." - Talking Heads

#3    julia52

julia52

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 88 posts
  • Joined:16 Jun 2011
  • Gender:Female

Posted 06 October 2013 - 04:11 PM

Quote

I'm probably in a minority, but I think there is such a thing as "anticipatory hearing.

i am going to take that one step further and say that sometimes i think it is almost 'future hearing' in a sense.  when i was a small child one of the first things that happened to me that made me realize that i was a bit 'different' than others was when i was hearing people talk before they did..and they would say exactly what i had heard them say, long, involved conversations..it was strange(especially for a little one)but i learned that that's what i was apparently doing,  glimpsing into a very imminent future..

it is, in a way, a 'gift'..even if it does seem rather annoying right now.  consider, maybe you can even prevent a not so nice occurrence because you heard it right before it happened..but, know that you are not alone in this, and, as time goes on, it will get a bit easier when these events happen :)


#4    Skep B

Skep B

    Savant of Depravity

  • Member
  • 5,424 posts
  • Joined:02 Aug 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Duuuuuuuuuuuude

Posted 06 October 2013 - 05:34 PM

Expectations of a certain pattern sometimes causes out minds to try and fill them in.

for example if you hear a specific group of notes then they suddenly stop, your mind expects the tune to be continued and you'll imagine you've heard the rest of the song.

apart from that, have you brought this to the attention of people in your life? or had your hearing checked, or even speak with a professional to see if the hallucinations aren't symptoms of something problematic?

When you know what a man loves, you know what can kill him


#5    Drayno

Drayno

    Bounty Hunter

  • Member
  • 3,881 posts
  • Joined:18 Jan 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Neo-Mars

Posted 06 October 2013 - 05:54 PM

View PostSkepticalB, on 06 October 2013 - 05:34 PM, said:

Expectations of a certain pattern sometimes causes out minds to try and fill them in.

for example if you hear a specific group of notes then they suddenly stop, your mind expects the tune to be continued and you'll imagine you've heard the rest of the song.

apart from that, have you brought this to the attention of people in your life? or had your hearing checked, or even speak with a professional to see if the hallucinations aren't symptoms of something problematic?

I agree with SkepticalB - you might want to seek help just to rule out hallucinations.

The phenomena you describe is very interesting. I can imagine how frightened you must be to go to the stairs and to hear nothing.

As julia52 stated, it could be 'future hearing' from the way you describe it. I will say it's a curious mystery you have. :)

"Let us sit upon the ground and tell sad stories of the death of kings."
- William Shakespeare, Richard II, Act III, Scene II
Posted Image

#6    TwilightSilver

TwilightSilver

    Paranormal Investigator

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Joined:25 Feb 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New York

Posted 07 October 2013 - 05:59 AM

I used to have something similar when I was in my last apartment but I always attributed it to waking dreams. I agree though with the rest about 'future hearing' in your case.

"I'm struggling to say what I want to... but you hurt my brain so much with your nonsense..."

Quote of the week: "When are people going to learn? The rapture is like a health inspection. They don't anounce when they're coming, otherwise you could let things go all year and clean everything up right before they come. The plan is to catch you off guard, so they can see what state things are kept in an on going basis." - ZeddKnite

#7    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

    hi

  • Member
  • 8,575 posts
  • Joined:22 Apr 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portsmouth

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:42 PM

Or it could be you wishing it was them? are you afraid of being alone?


#8    Old Sparky

Old Sparky

    Extraterrestrial Entity

  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  • Joined:28 Sep 2013
  • Gender:Female

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:07 AM

Apologies for my late reply and i will answer you all one by one once i get back on the laptop tomorrow just finding it incredibly hard to use this tiny iPod keypad and i cant quote. But thanks to you all so much for posting.

But i will say, no I'm not afraid of being on my own  I'm kinda used to it with no brothers or sisters


#9    KBA

KBA

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts
  • Joined:26 Aug 2006
  • Gender:Not Selected
  • Location:The world

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:13 AM

Are ya taking any meds?? Some psych meds can cause hallucinations... but that sounds weird.  Maybe you should see someone about it?  It could be a medical issue too.

Anyway, sounds scary... :no:  good luck...



#10    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

    Blue fish

  • Member
  • 14,719 posts
  • Joined:22 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

  • fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:25 AM

View PostKBA, on 09 October 2013 - 08:13 AM, said:

Are ya taking any meds?? Some psych meds can cause hallucinations... but that sounds weird.  Maybe you should see someone about it?  It could be a medical issue too.

Anyway, sounds scary... :no:  good luck...
Tell me about it.  When my sciatica acts up and I have to take simple pain pills, I hallucinate.  Sometimes it gets funny now that I understand what is going on.  I have heard voices all my life but they never tell me anything useful -- mostly just my name when I don't expect it making me jump and look around.  The pain pills make it much worse.

One time a voice said, "Frank (not my real name but I substitute it here), you can have anything you want."  Yea, sure.


#11    KBA

KBA

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts
  • Joined:26 Aug 2006
  • Gender:Not Selected
  • Location:The world

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:30 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 09 October 2013 - 08:25 AM, said:

Tell me about it.  When my sciatica acts up and I have to take simple pain pills, I hallucinate.  Sometimes it gets funny now that I understand what is going on.  I have heard voices all my life but they never tell me anything useful -- mostly just my name when I don't expect it making me jump and look around.  The pain pills make it much worse.

One time a voice said, "Frank (not my real name but I substitute it here), you can have anything you want."  Yea, sure.

That would freak me out though. Just from pain pills?? Ugh. That sucks. I don't really hallucinate but don't wanna start.



#12    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

    Blue fish

  • Member
  • 14,719 posts
  • Joined:22 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

  • fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:34 AM

View PostKBA, on 09 October 2013 - 08:30 AM, said:

That would freak me out though. Just from pain pills?? Ugh. That sucks. I don't really hallucinate but don't wanna start.
Well we all do it; it's just that usually the brain doesn't interpret the signals as real sound.  Don't however misunderstand -- it is not an everyday thing.


#13    Old Sparky

Old Sparky

    Extraterrestrial Entity

  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  • Joined:28 Sep 2013
  • Gender:Female

Posted 12 October 2013 - 02:42 PM

View Postszentgyorgy, on 05 October 2013 - 01:07 PM, said:

"Residential" or "residual" energy?

I'm no expert, but I've had experiences of hyper-sensitive hearing, or--as others might call it--hearing things that others didn't/don't. I was sure a couple of times that my wife came in to the bedroom to speak to me while I was awakening; even subtracting the one time alcohol was involved, I can't explain it when she denied ever coming in. Other times, even in a group, I have heard low-level (low frequency?) sounds like distant thunder,, planes, helicopters fireworks or gunshot/engine backfires that others don't.

My scenarios are less narrative-like than yours. You seem to have activity (groceries, 'plonk,' the dog) in your episodes. In the past 2-3 years I have noticed my hearing is diminishing when it comes to medium -level conversational tones--probably a simple function of age for me.

A good start might be to have your hearing tested by a competent speech and hearing pathologist (as they are called in the US) after gross anatomical examination of your ears by a doc or nurse practitioner. This would rule in/out any physical reason(s) for hearing anomalies.

I'm probably in a minority, but I think there is such a thing as "anticipatory hearing." Sometimes we may hear what we expect to hear in the very near future, especially with household routines like shopping, pet care, etc. that are repeated with regularity and predictability. That would help explain some of my episodes.

In any event, I wish you well.
The bolded part made me laugh! Sorry for my late reply was having troubles with my internet's connection. I have an appointment with an ENT doctor for another issue(lack of smell/taste) so it may help distinguish what's wrong, if anything at all. Yes, I agree I would be used to hearing them but I would be deep in concentration on the computer and my parents would be far away from my thoughts. Thank you for your long reply though and I will most definately get it checked out, regards.


View Postjulia52, on 06 October 2013 - 04:11 PM, said:

i am going to take that one step further and say that sometimes i think it is almost 'future hearing' in a sense.  when i was a small child one of the first things that happened to me that made me realize that i was a bit 'different' than others was when i was hearing people talk before they did..and they would say exactly what i had heard them say, long, involved conversations..it was strange(especially for a little one)but i learned that that's what i was apparently doing,  glimpsing into a very imminent future..

it is, in a way, a 'gift'..even if it does seem rather annoying right now.  consider, maybe you can even prevent a not so nice occurrence because you heard it right before it happened..but, know that you are not alone in this, and, as time goes on, it will get a bit easier when these events happen :)
Hmm I see so you experienced this too? That makes me feel somewhat better I'm not alone. It isn't so much annoying as it is scary as it would be so loud and real-hearing every item being taken out of the bag whilst chattering going on.


View PostSkepticalB, on 06 October 2013 - 05:34 PM, said:

Expectations of a certain pattern sometimes causes out minds to try and fill them in.

for example if you hear a specific group of notes then they suddenly stop, your mind expects the tune to be continued and you'll imagine you've heard the rest of the song.

apart from that, have you brought this to the attention of people in your life? or had your hearing checked, or even speak with a professional to see if the hallucinations aren't symptoms of something problematic?
Hey SkepticalB! Yes, I expect it but it doesn't happen. This only seems to occur when I'm 100 miles away/focused on something entirely different. I have said it to my parents on the phone a few times after coming down and them not being there as I considered they might be playing a prank on me but if they're shopping, I hear the tills, people chattering in the background and when they're out walking can hear the wind whistling through the trees and the gravel they're walking on so it is clear they are where they say they are. So..who or what was in the house?


View PostHatake Kakashi, on 06 October 2013 - 05:54 PM, said:

I agree with SkepticalB - you might want to seek help just to rule out hallucinations.

The phenomena you describe is very interesting. I can imagine how frightened you must be to go to the stairs and to hear nothing.

As julia52 stated, it could be 'future hearing' from the way you describe it. I will say it's a curious mystery you have. :)
Frightened and confused. I hope it's nothing out of the ordinary-hope I am simpily losing my marbles!


View PostTwilightSilver, on 07 October 2013 - 05:59 AM, said:

I used to have something similar when I was in my last apartment but I always attributed it to waking dreams. I agree though with the rest about 'future hearing' in your case.
Thanks TwilightSilver, I hope it's something which can be explained.


View PostKBA, on 09 October 2013 - 08:13 AM, said:

Are ya taking any meds?? Some psych meds can cause hallucinations... but that sounds weird.  Maybe you should see someone about it?  It could be a medical issue too.

Anyway, sounds scary... :no:  good luck...
Hi KBA. No, not taking any medications whatsoever.


#14    Skep B

Skep B

    Savant of Depravity

  • Member
  • 5,424 posts
  • Joined:02 Aug 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Duuuuuuuuuuuude

Posted 12 October 2013 - 05:14 PM

Quote

So..who or what was in the house?[/size]]

Well, thats what I meant, nothing was in the house, just your brain playing a trick on you in a sense

When you know what a man loves, you know what can kill him


#15    crimson089

crimson089

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • Joined:06 Oct 2013
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:South East Asia

  • I'd rather believe on a conspiracy than believing on a government that's feeding off its taxpayers

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:43 AM

View PostFoxhound 87, on 05 October 2013 - 12:50 PM, said:

This happens a lot what I am about to tell you but I am needing help with it as I'm not sure if I am the cause of it (hearing things) or if something more sinister is going on. I would be on my own in the house usually upstairs on the computer and would hear my parent's car park up by the house, I hear the sound of them opening the car boot, open and shut the front door and call up to me telling me they are back which they always do. I call down to say I'll be down to them in a minute and when I do there's no one there. I usually call them on their mobile and they would be miles away from the house. It really creeps me out and has been happening quite frequently over the past year or so now.
Its just me, my parents and a dog who's outside. When they are gone shopping I hear them come in with the bags, plonk them up on the counter, take out the items and put them in the fridge and cupboard all the while talking amongst each other. As soon as I reach the stairs its eerily quiet all around.
When my other dog was with us I would hear him bark being let out of the car(the other: our current dog doesn't bark) and told to be quiet whilst being brought in. The front door has a loud slam when closed but when I went down, nothing. I was told on another forum it could be residential energy?

I've read from ur post about that demon car, and now this time about your parents' car park up. Your sightings and experiences are somehow related to.... cars? Or was it the same car that brings both strange things?

Posted Image




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users