Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Judges bid to banish the Bible from court

court judges bible oath witnesses

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,320 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 06 October 2013 - 12:33 PM

Defendants and witnesses in British courts will no longer swear on the Bible to tell the truth under controversial plans being considered by a powerful body of judges.

The traditional religious oath could be scrapped amid concerns that many giving evidence in criminal cases no longer take it seriously.

Instead, all witnesses and defendants would promise to tell the truth without mentioning God, and would acknowledge they could be jailed if they are caught lying.

http://www.dailymail...-seriously.html

Posted Image

#2    spacecowboy342

spacecowboy342

Traveler of both time and space

• 4,108 posts

• I shall now proceed to entangle the entire area

Posted 06 October 2013 - 01:00 PM

The part about how non-believers could choose to affirm instead of swearing on the bible always bothered me as I figured Christians on the jury would automatically assume I was lying as I was a Godless atheist

#3    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,128 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 06 October 2013 - 02:36 PM

Like the Bible has stopped liars anyway.

#4    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,844 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 06 October 2013 - 03:05 PM

Religious or not - it appears to me to be yet another attempt to undermine the traditional British way of life which our Lords Temporal and Spiritual all seem to despise!

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#5    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 15,477 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 06 October 2013 - 05:09 PM

God (divinity) is not recognised in a court of Law as an entity. This means, in the eyes of our legal system, there is no force or commitment behind any oath sworn upon the bible beyond that of the person's commitment to upholding the integrity of our legal system. It makes sense to remove the requirement of swearing an oath upon the bible, then.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#6    voidla

voidla

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 06:39 PM

Good :D
It doesn't stop people from lying. Being reaffirmed they'll face arrest if found to be lying sounds a better guilt trip.

Everything and nothing is impossible.

It makes sense both are what makes each other.

#7    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,731 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 06 October 2013 - 08:51 PM

Last time I was sworn in I was told to raise my right hand and the bailiff said, 'Do you swear to tell the truth and nothing but the truth, under penalty of law."  Nothing about God or a Bible.    If you don't tell the truth you go to jail. That is enough for me.  If I am to swear on something it would have to be an oak branch.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#8    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 25,789 posts

• Paranoid Android... No power in the verse can stop me...

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:40 AM

I've never been in court, but as a Christian I would refuse to swear an oath of any kind, whether on the Bible or anything else. Jesus says not to do this (Matthew 5:33-37), simply be truthful in everything you say. Let your yes be yes, and your no be no.

As far as court systems go, I'm pretty sure everyone knows there are penalties for lying. The procedure of acknowledging this is just the system's way of ensuring no one can feign ignorance if they are caught. Swearing an oath isn't going to makesomeone intent on lying to tell the truth.

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#9    crimson089

crimson089

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 49 posts

• I'd rather believe on a conspiracy than believing on a government that's feeding off its taxpayers

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:15 AM

^agreed and besides, the court is governed by the laws of human and their trials & justice are different systems from the bible.

Edited by crimson089, 10 October 2013 - 10:17 AM.

Posted Image

#10    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Aqualish Pirate

• 5,129 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:27 AM

There is no place in the courtroom for the bible. IMO it is embarrassing that it is still used in a 'modern' courtroom.

Do you swear on this book (that may hold no meaning to you whatsoever) tell the truth, maybe in fear that you may suffer the wrath of a faith you do not believe in while respecting a deity you do not believe exists?

Edited by Junior Chubb, 10 October 2013 - 10:31 AM.

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to show me where the hell Helen of Annoy has been for the past couple of months.

#11    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,267 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:45 AM

Do they actually do that in US courts?  I thought there was separation of church and state?

#12    spacecowboy342

spacecowboy342

Traveler of both time and space

• 4,108 posts

• I shall now proceed to entangle the entire area

Posted 10 October 2013 - 11:04 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 10 October 2013 - 10:45 AM, said:

Do they actually do that in US courts?  I thought there was separation of church and state?
On paper, yes, in practice, not so much. They also start every session of congress with a prayer. Doesn't seem to be helping much.

#13    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 25,789 posts

• Paranoid Android... No power in the verse can stop me...

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:27 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 10 October 2013 - 10:45 AM, said:

View Postspacecowboy342, on 10 October 2013 - 11:04 AM, said:

On paper, yes, in practice, not so much. They also start every session of congress with a prayer. Doesn't seem to be helping much.

Perhaps this is because you have not studied the nuances of said state/church separation. The wording of the creed only demands that in matters of Law, church cannot interfere with Law (and vice versa). This was a direct result of the English system from which America grew, being that the Anglican system was part of the political hierarchy in England. No Law is affected when swearing an oath on the Bible, therefore there is no issue with the Constitution. The phrase "separation of church and state" does not appear on any official document I'm aware of. From memory (and don't quote me on this), the text only says something along the lines of "Congress shall make no Law that favours one religious group over another". I'm no expert, but this is my understanding.

Edited by Paranoid Android, 10 October 2013 - 01:30 PM.

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#14    Liquid Gardens

Liquid Gardens

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

• "Or is it just remains of vibrations from echoes long ago"

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:48 PM

View PostParanoid Android, on 10 October 2013 - 01:27 PM, said:

This was a direct result of the English system from which America grew, being that the Anglican system was part of the political hierarchy in England.

I believe that the church/state separation that we enjoy in the US is indeed a result of the English system, namely that we did not want to have the English system.

No Law is affected when swearing an oath on the Bible, therefore there is no issue with the Constitution. The phrase "separation of church and state" does not appear on any official document I'm aware of. From memory (and don't quote me on this), the text only says something along the lines of "Congress shall make no Law that favours one religious group over another". I'm no expert, but this is my understanding.

One could also argue that no law is affected by having school-led prayer in public schools, but that is an issue for the US Constitution at least and forbidden.  The phrase 'separation of church and state' is a shorthand way of describing the US government's approach to religion, that the govt can make no law respecting an establishment of religion nor prohibit the free exercise thereof, it was also how Jefferson described the 1st Amendment religion clauses in a letter I believe to some Baptists.  The fact that the exact 'separation' phrase doesn't appear in the Constitution doesn't really mean much; it similarly doesn't contain the phrases 'right to privacy' or 'right to a fair trial', although those are also used as shorthand ways of describing the corresponding concepts.

"You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into"
"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence" - C. Hitchens
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool" - Richard Feynman

#15    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 15,477 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 10 October 2013 - 02:20 PM

View PostLiquid Gardens, on 10 October 2013 - 01:48 PM, said:

One could also argue that no law is affected by having school-led prayer in public schools, but that is an issue for the US Constitution at least and forbidden.  The phrase 'separation of church and state' is a shorthand way of describing the US government's approach to religion, that the govt can make no law respecting an establishment of religion nor prohibit the free exercise thereof, it was also how Jefferson described the 1st Amendment religion clauses in a letter I believe to some Baptists.  The fact that the exact 'separation' phrase doesn't appear in the Constitution doesn't really mean much; it similarly doesn't contain the phrases 'right to privacy' or 'right to a fair trial', although those are also used as shorthand ways of describing the corresponding concepts.

The only difference between a tradition and a law, is the different quality of belief in the authority invoked in following them.

It could be argued the US Congress' tradition of prayer is de-facto law, and I would like to see what the response would be should someone object to the daily prayer and suggest it be abolished as a tradition, but that each member of Congress may perform their preferred religious ritual in their private office before attending chamber.

My bet is that there would be great opposition to this and it would be decried as 'restricting religious practice', when in fact it is not restricting that practice at all but separating that practice from the practice of government.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

Also tagged with court, judges, bible, oath, witnesses

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users