Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Two New Spider Species Found in Uruguay

Still Waters

The new species, scientifically named Chaco castanea and Chaco costai, are middle sized spiders that range between 1 and 2 cm in body size.

These spiders have elongated body and robust legs with black-brownish coloration.

http://www.sci-news....guay-01435.html

well, since they're nocturnal and spend most of their lives living in burrows, it seems like there's little risk of running into one of them. just got to stay away from that old psammophyte vegetation.

image_1435_2-Chaco-castanea.jpg

Am I seeing 10 legs here??? Or supposed to be 10 legs as one obviously fell off. But I see 10 leg stalks... or am I seeing things???

Thats a crab, not a spider, surely.

Not sure how big it is but, it's a spider for sure. Hopefully just a little guy. lol

the very front ones might be those things called pedipalps? the basic wikipedia here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedipalp

i've always liked that word "pedipalp"

Hahaha! I don't mind saying the word or looking at them from afar (way afar) but keep those pedipalp things off of me! lol

Oh come on, they're just little guys. The article says they're 1-2 cm in body length. I've found bigger spiders in my socks.

Don't care. Still don't want any bugs on my person. If you want them on you, that's up to you.