Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

14 Books That Traumatized You As A Kid

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16    Purplos

Purplos

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,552 posts

• Everything important is infinite.

Posted 10 October 2013 - 02:58 AM

I started reading King at 12 too. My first was the Bachman Books - Rage, the Long Walk etc. They didn't really freak me out much. Pet Cemetery was a bit creepier.

Movies, on the other hand. I couldn't handle ANY horror movies till I was almost 20. I like them now, for the most part.

Embrace the impossible.

#17    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,859 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 10 October 2013 - 03:03 AM

View PostPurplos, on 10 October 2013 - 02:58 AM, said:

I started reading King at 12 too. My first was the Bachman Books - Rage, the Long Walk etc. They didn't really freak me out much. Pet Cemetery was a bit creepier.

Movies, on the other hand. I couldn't handle ANY horror movies till I was almost 20. I like them now, for the most part.

Movies, after reading the books, always disappoint me. My imagination is so much more vivid than anything they've ever come up with on screen.

#18    little_dreamer

little_dreamer

Government Agent

• 3,288 posts

• We did not understand it all, but somehow we survived.

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:01 PM

There were a few books that I did remember from childhood and early teens.

"House of Stairs" - Teenagers stuck in a huge room filled with endless stairs.  (Spoiler) They were secretly being studied by a psychologist.

"The Devil's Storybook"  - Humorous stories about  incompetent devils.  One tale has a cremated man's remains mixed up with a pig, and the pig follows him around Hell.

"Ghosts I Have Been" - an unusual tale of an independent-minded girl in the early 1900's with a Gypsy fortune-teller mother, and has paranormal experiences.

I read parts of the first Flowers in the Attic book.   It did unnerve me a bit but I found it a bit too depressing to continue.  I also read a lot of Edgar Allan Poe as a kid (must have been my goth phase :lol: ).

I am another anonymous face in the crowd. I am just another tiny wheel in the machinery of the world I live in.

#19    regi

regi

Poltergeist

• 2,390 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:47 PM

I never read books as a kid or as a teen.

#20    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:49 AM

The only one of these that bothered me, was Lord of The Flies.
It is just such a horrible story in reality.

The rest, neh.

Miss me?

#21    rattpoison

rattpoison

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:55 PM

As a very young child we had the book form of 'Dark Crystal.'  For some unknown reason the picture near the back of the book, a crystal, really freaked me out.  My grandma burned the book to make me feel better.  I felt better when I wasn't looking at the picture so she could have thrown it away.  I didn't care that she burned it.

But I've always found HP Lovecraft's stories to be pretty scary.  They make you use your imagination like a good author's works should do.  The imagination is where fear comes from, anyway.  I've seen all the Paranormal Activity movies and I think they are stupid.  But anyone who goes deep into the woods at night knows that the imagination can conjure greater things than any movie.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users