Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Mysterious Lizards Have Green Blood

prasinohaema skinks green blood lizards

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,036 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:33 PM

Prasinohaema skinks, residents of New Guinea, have green bones, green muscles and green tongues. Even their blood is green. And it's also a deadly poison. But how their blood got so green, and so toxic, remains something of a mystery.

http://io9.com/this-...ll-y-1441990907

Posted Image

#2    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,305 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:47 PM

I blame the Vulcans.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#3    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:50 PM

Lobsters have blue blood.

#4    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,038 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power then humanity can evolve

Posted 08 October 2013 - 10:10 PM

I wonder if thier blood is based on copper instead of iron?

#5    Insanity

Insanity

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

• "Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal..." - H.P. Lovecraft, "The Tomb", Published 1922

Posted 08 October 2013 - 10:23 PM

View PostOverSword, on 08 October 2013 - 10:10 PM, said:

I wonder if thier blood is based on copper instead of iron?

Horseshoecrabs have hemocyanin instead of hemoglobin in their blood, which is a copper-based protein.  When oxygenated it is blue, when deoxygenated it is colorless.

"We see things only as we are constructed to see them, and can gain no idea of their absolute nature. With five feeble senses we pretend to comprehend the boundlessly complex cosmos, yet other beings with wider, stronger, or different range of senses might not only see very differently the things we see, but might see and study whole worlds of matter, energy, and life which lie close at hand yet can never be detected with the senses we have." - H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond" Published 1934

#6    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,305 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 10:59 PM

Sulfur IIRC burns green. Could these lizards use sulfur like we use iron?

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#7    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 09 October 2013 - 01:16 AM

The article is a bit misleading, it's not that the skink's green blood can kill a human, although it might be toxic if eaten or injected, rather it says that this chemical which can also be produced in human infants and in people with damaged livers is at a concentration that would be fatal in humans. I was expecting the blood to be a defense against predators but they theorize that it is a defense against the Malaria parasites.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users