Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Icelanders Run Out of Cash to Repay Debt

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,745 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 09 October 2013 - 12:35 PM

Bloomberg said:

Iceland’s private sector is running out of cash to repay its foreign currency debt, according to the nation’s central bank.

Non-krona debt owed by entities besides the Treasury and the central bank due through 2018 totals about 700 billion kronur ($5.8 billion), the bank said yesterday. The projected current account surpluses over the next five years aren’t estimated to reach even half of that and will equal a shortfall of about 20 percent of gross domestic product.

The nation faces a “repayment risk of foreign debt by private entities in the economy, who don’t have access to foreign financial markets,” Sigridur Benediktsdottir, head of financial stability at the Reykjavik-based central bank, said yesterday in an interview. “We view this as being exacerbated or made worse by the fact that our current account is actually declining.”

Read more

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#2    Ealdwita

Ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 5,275 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 02:08 PM

The best advice I could give Ms.Benediktsdottir is to give David Cameron a call. The British taxpayer is already shovelling out millions of ££££'s to the rest of the world, so I doubt another begging bowl will make any difference!

And while we're at it, ask her if she knows how Kent County Council, who are refusing to supply a police presence for Rememberance Day parades on the grounds of cost, managed to find £50 million to invest in Icelandic Banks!

Edited by ealdwita, 09 October 2013 - 02:28 PM.

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#3    Mikko-kun

Mikko-kun

Drifter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

• How much do you don't see?

Posted 09 October 2013 - 02:58 PM

Áye Eald, they might actually pay back too, if you postpone the date a bit more. Pretty unheard of, ey?

Wherever there's a problem, there's solutions.
Answers are found from a wide deep perspective, from opened mind's eyes.
From where good and bad stay silent and you hear the real cause and effect, and big picture.
Giving up is wasting your time, but also necessary to find the true cause you didn't find yet.
Staying in the path is necessary only when there's trueness in that path.

#4    Ealdwita

Ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 5,275 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:14 PM

View PostMikko-kun, on 09 October 2013 - 02:58 PM, said:

Áye Eald, they might actually pay back too, if you postpone the date a bit more. Pretty unheard of, ey?

Is this saying familiar in Finland too?   Posted Image

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!

#5    Mikko-kun

Mikko-kun

Drifter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

• How much do you don't see?

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:21 PM

Yeah, more than you'd think. :cry:

Wherever there's a problem, there's solutions.
Answers are found from a wide deep perspective, from opened mind's eyes.
From where good and bad stay silent and you hear the real cause and effect, and big picture.
Giving up is wasting your time, but also necessary to find the true cause you didn't find yet.
Staying in the path is necessary only when there's trueness in that path.

#6    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,745 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:21 PM

View Postealdwita, on 09 October 2013 - 04:14 PM, said:

Is this saying familiar in Finland too?   Posted Image

He might not be so wrong. Until 1989 nobody would give you a penny for the Czars debt papers except a guy called Costellany. That Costellany made a killing in 1995 when the Russian Federation honored the Czar's debt with interest. Too bad he did not survive the excitement of being really rich for long. Costellany died shortly after.

The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#7    stevewinn

stevewinn

Government Agent

• 9,950 posts

• Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 09 October 2013 - 05:56 PM

well this isn't the first time they've run out of cash. the last time they run out of cash they refused to honour their commitment to foreign investors i.e, bank account holders who banked in Iceland thinking their saving were protected by the Icelandic governments financial protection authority and the depositors had no need to worry - because their savings were protected, but the government reneged on that, leaving the UK to pick up the tab for its citizens who had investments / banking accounts in Iceland. the UK wasn't the only one the Netherlands had to do the same for their citizens.

It cost the United Kingdom £2.6 Billion in bailing out. the last i heard was the UK and Netherlands took Iceland to court over the issue, the EU ruled Iceland didn't have to pay compensation.i cant remember the reason why, but it was a cheap cop out.

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

#8    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:14 PM

Well, does anyone knows what history teach us about Iceland and Banking system?
Well you dont see that in media often. They simply let banks to collapse.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#9    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 4,167 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:09 AM

I didnt think that we were still friends with Iceland after the fishing war,when they increased the fishing boarders to 100 miles,maybe Ive been asleep for a while.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#10    Ealdwita

Ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 5,275 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:23 AM

View Postspud the mackem, on 10 October 2013 - 07:09 AM, said:

I didnt think that we were still friends with Iceland after the fishing war,when they increased the fishing boarders to 100 miles,maybe Ive been asleep for a while.

Setting your own fishing limits is just another benefit of not being an inmate (sorry) member of the EUSSR!

#11    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,745 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:37 PM

View Postealdwita, on 10 October 2013 - 07:23 AM, said:

Setting your own fishing limits is just another benefit of not being an inmate (sorry) member of the EUSSR!

Your problem there is that Iceland is not a member of the EU.

about me

#12    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 02:30 PM

Icelander are mine heros. I wish they repeat again what they already done.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#13    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 15,231 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:35 AM

Ahh, actually paying the bills with a thing called cash.  What does that even mean?

"The power to declare war, including the power of judging the causes of war, is fully and exclusively vested in the Legislature.  The Executive has no right, in any case, to decide the question" ~ James Madison
"Peace cannot be achieved by force, only by understanding."  ~ Albert Einstein
"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.  Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users