Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

CNN Joins Tea Party: Delay ACA for 1 Year !

cnn wolf blitzer

• Please log in to reply
190 replies to this topic

#16    CyberKen

CyberKen

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 07:13 PM

View PostJeremiah65, on 11 October 2013 - 05:04 PM, said:

I saw the Daily show interview...yeah, she had no logical reason to give businesses an option and not the people.

It seemed kinda obvious to me that they have no legitimate reason for shoving this down the throats of the citizens and not the corporations...aside from some glad handing and back room agreements.

Van Jones tried to divert attention away from ObamaCare on CNN. Senator Ted Cruz ran right over him.

The polling numbers are terrible for Obama right now.

#17    Harte

Harte

Supremely Educated Knower of Everything in Existence

• 10,098 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 12 October 2013 - 02:42 PM

View PostTiggs, on 11 October 2013 - 02:23 PM, said:

If the fourteenth amendment can be applied to corporations, then I demand to be registered in the Cayman Isles, for tax purposes.
You can certainly do so you know. Why have you not done this already if this is what you want?

The 14th does apply to corporations.  Corporations are legally defined as "persons."

Harte

I've consulted all the sages I could find in yellow pages but there aren't many of them. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong. - Thomas Jefferson
Anybody like Coleridge?

#18    CyberKen

CyberKen

Psychic Spy

• 1,778 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 03:01 PM

View PostHarte, on 12 October 2013 - 02:42 PM, said:

You can certainly do so you know. Why have you not done this already if this is what you want?

The 14th does apply to corporations.  Corporations are legally defined as "persons."

Harte

That sounds a lot like the movie " The Firm " starring Tom Cruise and Gene Hackman.

Gaming the system for the rich.

#19    Jeremiah65

Jeremiah65

Seeker of knowledge

• 2,078 posts

• "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Posted 12 October 2013 - 04:21 PM

In related news...

Senators call for the resignation of Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius to resign over what is described as the bungled launch of the ObamaCare exchanges.

Distractions anyone?

The lady fell apart on the Daily show when asked why the optioon to wait is not being given to the general public...she had no excuse...

But to be fair, I'm guessing she was told to "open the gates" on the date whether it was ready or not.

"Liberty means responsibility.  That is why most men dread it."  George Bernard Shaw
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."  Thomas Jefferson

Posted Image

#20    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 36,341 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 12 October 2013 - 04:28 PM

Harte

Yeh, but to the contrary of GE and Apple and... (fill in as needed), he would have to actually live on the Caimans for that.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#21    CyberKen

CyberKen

Psychic Spy

• 1,778 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 04:33 PM

View PostJeremiah65, on 12 October 2013 - 04:21 PM, said:

In related news...

Senators call for the resignation of Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius to resign over what is described as the bungled launch of the ObamaCare exchanges.

Distractions anyone?

The lady fell apart on the Daily show when asked why the optioon to wait is not being given to the general public...she had no excuse...

But to be fair, I'm guessing she was told to "open the gates" on the date whether it was ready or not.

The Obama administration was warned - many times - that it was a Train Wreck.

They ignored the warnings.

It looks like someone told Democrat Senator Max Baucus.  " It's a Train Wreck. "

The White House is now embarrassed by the tiny number of people who have actually signed up.

Solution: Lie

"We don't know how many people have signed up."

#22    Tiggs

Tiggs

Relax. It's only me.

• 9,559 posts

• Universe Service Pack 2 still needs patching.

Posted 12 October 2013 - 05:42 PM

How, exactly, can a regular US citizen resident within the United States claim their income legally tax free?

No, Harte. No, they're not.

They're legally defined as autonomous legal entities, entirely separate to the people within them.

That's their entire reason for existence.

That the Supreme Court is currently gullible enough to give them first amendment rights in regard to political donations is no guarantee that they'd ever grant them 14th amendment rights.

Especially as the first thing which will happen is that every corporation will then claim the exact same tax subsidies granted under the law given to other companies.

#23    Harte

Harte

• 10,098 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:30 AM

View PostTiggs, on 12 October 2013 - 05:42 PM, said:

How, exactly, can a regular US citizen resident within the United States claim their income legally tax free?
You have to incorporate in the Caymans:

Cayman imposes income tax on only those companies doing local business, so it is an ideal place for United States citizens to locate a stream of income.20 United States citizens can incorporate a business (known as a "base company"21) under the law of the Cayman Islands and assign streams of income to the company.22 Property (includ ing the right to a stream of income) used to start a corporation is subject to a one time 35% excise tax.23 Subsequent income is then attributed only to the base company.24 This method of tax avoidance only defers taxation,25 as United States citizens must still pay tax on money when they remove it from a Cayman company. 26 Some taxpayers may be able to enjoy the benefits of the corporation's money while still avoiding taxation through use of "secondary sheltering." 27 This involves recharacterizing the money, such as by having the base company loan money to the U.S. citizen.28
A how to.

No, Harte. No, they're not.

They're legally defined as autonomous legal entities, entirely separate to the people within them.

corporation n. an organization formed with state governmental approval to act as an artificial person to carry on business (or other activities), which can sue or be sued, and (unless it is non-profit) can issue shares of stock to raise funds with which to start a business or increase its capital.
Source

That the Supreme Court is currently gullible enough to give them first amendment rights in regard to political donations is no guarantee that they'd ever grant them 14th amendment rights.

Especially as the first thing which will happen is that every corporation will then claim the exact same tax subsidies granted under the law given to other companies.
Corporations have enjoyed 14th Amendment rights since 1870.

Harte

I've consulted all the sages I could find in yellow pages but there aren't many of them. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong. - Thomas Jefferson
Anybody like Coleridge?

#24    Tiggs

Tiggs

Relax. It's only me.

• 9,559 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:16 AM

View PostHarte, on 15 October 2013 - 12:30 AM, said:

You have to incorporate in the Caymans:
A how to.
Firemen, police, teachers, supermarket workers etc. can't incorporate in the Caymans and then generally expect to be employed through that company.

Artificial person - though I'll concede, as I'm actually surprised to find the word person in there, at all.

For a limited subset of rights, apparently. That'll teach me to assert without checking. My mistake.

#25    CyberKen

CyberKen

Psychic Spy

• 1,778 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:23 PM

View PostTiggs, on 15 October 2013 - 07:16 AM, said:

Firemen, police, teachers, supermarket workers etc. can't incorporate in the Caymans and then generally expect to be employed through that company.

Artificial person - though I'll concede, as I'm actually surprised to find the word person in there, at all.

For a limited subset of rights, apparently. That'll teach me to assert without checking. My mistake.
Corporations have enjoyed 14th Amendment rights since 1870?

That was right after the Civil War!

Nexus - Lexus Search ?

Good find !

#26    Harte

Harte

• 10,098 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:50 AM

View PostTiggs, on 15 October 2013 - 07:16 AM, said:

This is true, unless you want to be a fireman in the Caymans, or whatever.

On the other hand, firemen, teachers, supermarket workers rarely pay one cent in taxes here, nor are they chained to their jobs.

Harte

Anybody like Coleridge?

#27    Tiggs

Tiggs

Relax. It's only me.

• 9,559 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 03:24 AM

View PostHarte, on 16 October 2013 - 01:50 AM, said:

This is true, unless you want to be a fireman in the Caymans, or whatever.

On the other hand, firemen, teachers, supermarket workers rarely pay one cent in taxes here, nor are they chained to their jobs.

Harte

Well. Store clerks - with an average wage of $15K I can believe might not pay much in taxes, depending on what deductions they're claiming.

Firemen - with an average wage of $43K - don't pay taxes? Teachers - with an average wage of $48k - don't pay taxes?

Presumably I should ask my wife -  who's a teacher -  where she's really spending all that "Tax" money?

#28    Harte

Harte

• 10,098 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:52 PM

View PostTiggs, on 16 October 2013 - 03:24 AM, said:

Well. Store clerks - with an average wage of $15K I can believe might not pay much in taxes, depending on what deductions they're claiming.

Firemen - with an average wage of $43K - don't pay taxes? Teachers - with an average wage of $48k - don't pay taxes?

Presumably I should ask my wife -  who's a teacher -  where she's really spending all that "Tax" money?
I became a teacher 8 years ago and am making a salary that is substantuially lower than my previous one, but is approximately the same as the one you list.

I not only haven't paid a dime of Federal Income Tax in all that time, I've received more back from the IRS each year than they had witheld.

I take the standard deduction - no itemizing, and have two minor children - my wife doesn't work.

Harte

Anybody like Coleridge?

#29    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 36,341 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:57 PM

View PostHarte, on 16 October 2013 - 01:52 PM, said:

I became a teacher 8 years ago and am making a salary that is substantuially lower than my previous one, but is approximately the same as the one you list.

I not only haven't paid a dime of Federal Income Tax in all that time, I've received more back from the IRS each year than they had witheld.

I take the standard deduction - no itemizing, and have two minor children - my wife doesn't work.

Harte

and a hell of a tax deductible trip to work, you forgot to mention that.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#30    Harte

Harte

• 10,098 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:22 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 16 October 2013 - 01:57 PM, said:

and a hell of a tax deductible trip to work, you forgot to mention that.
No, I forgot nothing.

If you don't itemize, there is no tax deduction for anything (using Form 1040 ) - other than the standard deduction.

I posted all the information required for Form 1040 except actual wages, witholdings etc.

I suppose if I were blind there is a tax deduction on page two.  But I'm not blind.

Then there's also the Earned Income Credit (not a deduction) which i find myself eligible for every year.

My son is mentally disabled but I get nothing whatsoever for that.

The fact is, I get about 3 or 4 hundred dollars more back every year than what was witheld.

Doesn't seem right, does it?

I've said so many times here.  I'll say it again - why is it that I not only owe nothing, but society owes me, given the fact that I wouldn't mind paying in?

I'd offer half of my tax return.  Legislation should address this - I wouldn't mind paying.

Harte

Anybody like Coleridge?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users