Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 3 votes

If You Could Have Your Own Country

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#31    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 5,026 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:36 PM

It would be legal (nay - compulsory) to shoot cyclists, caravanners and ramblers on sight!

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#32    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 4,391 posts

• We have problems because we stray from what is innocent and pure.

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:50 AM

I'd like a country in a peaceful valley with mountains all around it so it would be isolated from the outside world. Agricultural mainly, with villages here and there. A central Capital city, but not too big of a city. The arts would be encouraged, and cultural celebrations would be held often. We don't want to work too hard, after all.

A benign Monarchy would be the form of government with an advising Assembly of citizens who take their turn as Assemblymen (and women).  The Laws would be laws of common sense and would not infringe on personal expression.

Literacy would be the only mandatory requirement of citizens.  Perhaps something like Buddhism or Taoism would be the philosophy of the land, but there would be no monasteries or priests or gurus, as everyone would understand that each individual is a priest, his or her own guru.

The Monarch would be respected as head of state, but he/she would be considered more of a father/mother figure than a celebrity to be idolized, and would not be isolated from the citizens.

There's more, but I have a headache right now so it's hard to think of more ideas.

The acceptance of authority does not lead to intelligence.
A mind untouched by thought...the end of knowledge.
To see reality loose your opinions.

#33    Tiggs

Tiggs

Relax. It's only me.

• 9,353 posts

• Universe Service Pack 2 still needs patching.

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:52 AM

View PostStarMountainKid, on 09 October 2013 - 08:44 PM, said:

If you could have your own country, what would it be like?
Digital.

#34    EnderOTD

EnderOTD

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

• I tried to enter my favorite quote but the data limit was breached so you get this. Pretty anti-climatic isn't it?

Posted 12 October 2013 - 01:04 AM

View PostBig Bad Voodoo, on 09 October 2013 - 08:48 PM, said:

Vaccination free.
GMO free.
Flouride in water free.
Secret societies free.
More herbs less pharma. Hemp included for building.
No embargo on media.
Freedom of thought.

View PostBig Bad Voodoo, on 09 October 2013 - 08:48 PM, said:

Vaccination free.
GMO free.
Flouride in water free.
Secret societies free.
More herbs less pharma. Hemp included for building.
No embargo on media.
Freedom of thought.
Move to Sierra Leone, I am sure you would have one hell of a time there with that list of horrible preferences

Edited by EnderOTD, 12 October 2013 - 01:09 AM.

#35    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 7,061 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 12 October 2013 - 01:08 AM

Well, no walking away from it - it would be a dictatorship.  After all it is MY Country.

Edited by libstaK, 12 October 2013 - 01:09 AM.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#36    EnderOTD

EnderOTD

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

• I tried to enter my favorite quote but the data limit was breached so you get this. Pretty anti-climatic isn't it?

Posted 12 October 2013 - 01:16 AM

But yeah as regards to the O.P. The U.S. sans the expensive healthcare, prohobiton of illicit substances, restrictions on personal liberties and the government spy networks that haven't done a thing besides spy on our own fellow citizens.  Not too bad at the moment, it could just be better.

#37    Drayno

Drayno

Bounty Hunter

• 3,881 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 05:40 AM

Upon entering my country you would immediately be handed a beer.

If you decline you will immediately be suspected of being a narc!

Free market. I don't give a damn. Get in, get out.

You won't be spied on, and you will have rights protected by a just government.

Complete decriminalization of all drugs.

Except smack, meth, and all the other really horrible ones. I don't want baseheads running around.

If it grows in the ground it's probably okay.

Oh, and free college education.. For every one.

I want my country full of intellectuals debating the merits of various philosophical and political topics.

"Let us sit upon the ground and tell sad stories of the death of kings."
- William Shakespeare, Richard II, Act III, Scene II
Posted Image

#38    Arbenol

Arbenol

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 06:10 AM

View Postdanielost, on 10 October 2013 - 01:54 AM, said:

You all forgot one thing freedom of religion. My country would be run as a chritian country and only have two laws.  You already kno what they are.  Love god(which ever god you worship) and love your nieghbor.  If you break the first ne that is bad on you.  If you break the second one so long sucker.

That is the exact antithesis of freedom of religion.

#39    onereaderone

onereaderone

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

• interfacing transdimentional inverse mobius feed back loop

Posted 12 October 2013 - 11:17 AM

View PostMainerMikeBrown, on 09 October 2013 - 08:58 PM, said:

My nation would have a legal system in which convicted child molesters would never be allowed to be released back into society in order to protect kids.

in order to protect kids ,convicted child molesters  ...would never be allowed to be released back into society ...

i think  the  real question  should be ,  what happens  to  a  being  that  molest  children .
the  answer  to me  is  quite simple...   you  tie  them  to  a chair in  a  sound proof  room ,  you give  the parents  of  the  children
30 minutes  ...  with  a base ball  bat  ...  and  no  legal  attachment to  what  happens  in that  room...
the  child molester  is  then  let go to  walk out free ...    i  should add ,  that  will happen  for  each  child that  is  harmed , and  i  might  even  make  it  for  each event  that  can  be  documented .... i  might  give  the  child  a poke  at  the  bad  guy  as  well.

30  minutes  should  not  be  a federal  time limit...   the  time  should  be  set  by  the  local  court system...   frankly speaking...
i really  don't  think it really matters  how  short the  time is ,  as  long  as  two  points  are  made  clear...   1)  that  room  is  out side  of  all law .  what  happens  in there  is  between  a parent  and  a monster .   2) when  the  clock  has  run out , that  guy  is  not  held any  longer....   he  is  free  to go ,  and  the  parents  will  have had  their  chance  to have  a heart  to heart  talk with  this  guy  ,  so  he  understands  the  error  of  his  ways...  and  will  not  be  intrested  in  doing  a bad  thing  like  this  again .

frankly speaking ,  i would  not  worry  about  the  molester  doing   wrong  ever  again.

#40    onereaderone

onereaderone

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 11:51 AM

if  i  had a country , i  would  divide  the  population  into  three  groups...  1) 'other'  2) smart people  3) stupid people
then  i  would  set  up  the  laws so  that  the  smart people  would be  protected  from  the  stupid  people .
the  laws  would also keep  the  'other'  people  from  laughting  to hard , and  falling  down or  hyperventilating .

the  law  would  be  assumed  to be  unjust and just a way  to  collect  tax so  goverment  could  grow ... so...
no  one  would  enforce  the  law , it  would  just be  a bunch  of  rules  every  one  would  argue  about  but  not  follow  .
the  king  would  keep  a record  of  property  lines  and  who  owned  what  dirt...  other  than  that  , there  wouldn't  be  any  one  who  was  in goverment  that  any  one  listened to  or  beleived  was  not  just  a control freak  who  wanted  some  one  elses  money  for  not  one  good  reason.
every  one  would  be  armed...   especaily   women  .   fire  arm  training  would  start  at  age  5  ,  and  girls  would  be issued  a  hand gun at  age 12 ...   so  it  would  be  a very polite  country...  loud  impolite  people  would  not  live  very  long .

the  religon  would  be  bingo or  checkers ...  or  may be  monopoly...  with  a  subculture  of  poker  in  the  back of  the general store.   there  would  be  the  seasonal  religon  of  football  ,  basketball  , and  baseball ...  but  no  one  would  be  a zealot ,  not  like  bingo  or  checker...   and  the  poker players  would  never  admit  that  was  their  religon ...

the  national  bird  would  be  the  mind-finger ,  as  a salute  to  the  other  persons  intelegance ...  followed  in kind with  the  same  gesture ,  to  express   the  universal  soverinty  of  each  being  equal  before  the  law...  and  all  would  respect each others  vast  understanding  of  the  law  .   there  would  be  a civil court ,  where  objections  and personal  matters  could  be  straightened  out .   as  a general  rule  ,  the  village  bully  got  to  kick  the  snot out  of  the  loser in the  civil action...  and  that  would  be  the  entertainment  for  the  evening  and  the resolution  to  what  ever  the  issue  was.

#41    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,625 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:03 PM

Don't need a country, just a big long sheltered fishing pier.

#42    onereaderone

onereaderone

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:04 PM

in  this  land  of  bliss ...  alcohal  would  be  illegal ...  so  every  one  would  have  a still  in the  back , and  children  caught  drunk  would  catch  hell  when  they  got  home .  the  only  thing  that  has any  value ,  has  a measureable  alcohal  content...  for  this  reason,  my country  would  have  a liquid  montatary  policy .

and  of  course ,  the  capital building   would  be  a long  covered  pier ,  with a snack bar  and  public  restrooms  at  one  end  ,  and  tourest  traps  and  fishmarket on the  other .
with  restrants  and  bingo parlors  inbetween ...

Edited by onereaderone, 12 October 2013 - 12:09 PM.

#43    Labyrinthus

Labyrinthus

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 115 posts

• "Through the study of books one seeks God; by meditation one finds him"

Posted 14 October 2013 - 03:39 AM

That is actually a reasonably well thought out framework, Barnabas.
To be a candidate for "qualified citizenry" would require having spent a number of years working among the masses and demonstrated the ability to produce something af greater value from raw materials, imho.

well done.

Lab.

View PostBarnabasCollins, on 09 October 2013 - 11:46 PM, said:

In my country, the supreme law of the land would be do what you want to do so long as you harm no one else.  The laws that would be enacted by the Assembly would all flow from that foundational principal.

Members of the Assembly (the law making body) would be chosen from the qualified citizenry by lottery.  No person would be allowed to serve more than one six year term in their lifetimes.  It would be kind of like jury duty in a sense.  If your number comes up, unless you can demonstrate extreme hardship, you must serve.

The Chief Assembly Person would serve the function of the Executive (President, Prime Minister, etc).  That person would be selected from among the members of the Assembly by lottery and would serve two years and then return to the Assembly until his/her term in the Assembly expires.

Judges would require special qualifications and all citizens with those qualifications would be part of the Judge Pool.  Ten times the number of Judges needed would be chosen by lottery from among the qualified citizenry and then from that group, the Assembly would elect the number of judges needed.  Judges would serve a 10 year term and would thereafter not be qualified to hold judicial office again.

In other words, special interest groups, the monied, the rich and powerful, would have no say whatsoever in the selection of any person who holds office.

Edited by Labyrinthus, 14 October 2013 - 03:41 AM.

#44    flbrnt

flbrnt

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 109 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 03:47 AM

Manufactured utopias, whether Christian or Communist or Pythagorean, are in practice pretty nasty places. I will live in a country that has evolved, thank you very much.

#45    Skep B

Skep B

Savant of Depravity

• 5,368 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 04:37 AM

manufactured evolution.

similar issue

Fear not the space behemoth. In my dreams, I have peered beyond it's eye and seen the cackling hell within us all

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users