Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

'Sorry we shot your sacred moose'

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1    MoorWalks

MoorWalks

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:24 AM

• The 'spirit moose' was shot during a hunting trip to Cape Breton Highlands
  • Hunters who killed it claim they did not realise it was sacred to Mi'kmaq
  • They are returning it to the First Nation tribe to be disposed of respectfully
View: Read more

Posted Image

#2    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,661 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:07 PM

Ooooo.....I'd send it by post if were them!

"G a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnwan n gef!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".

"I was born with a priceless gift - the ability to laugh at other peoples' troubles" - Dame Edna Everage

#3    DeWitz

DeWitz

DeWitz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,501 posts

• "If you can't say something nice, be creative."
    Clyde P. Fesmire, PhD

Posted 10 October 2013 - 02:00 PM

Indeed, the M'kimac are being very gracious. No hunter worth his or her license and blaze orange would fail to recognize an albino creature, especially of the grand stature of the moose. Only an ignorant, selfish and small-minded miscreant would destroy such a part of nature, along with its now irretrievable genetic contribution to its species.

In the US Northeast, hunting has long been represented by a plurality (not all, not even a majority) of pseudo-macho gun lovers swilling alcohol and waiting for the chance to pull-a-trigger-make-go- 'boom.' The minority are hunting to bring home meat for the winter. My opinion of the "sport" hunting mentality has just sunk even lower.

Having hunted in the US, and having friends who are hunters in other nations, I know this isn't universal. But whoever took down the moose in Nova Scotia did nature, himself and the 'sport' a disservice.

[previously incarnate as 'szentgyorgy']

"Things fall apart. . . it's scientific." - Talking Heads

#4    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 36,922 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:41 PM

Their calamitous error was spotted by Jim Hnatiuks, when the trio brought the carcass of the dead creature into his hunting and taxidermy store in Lantz for it to be mounted.
So they just couldn't resist shooting it to keep for a trophy. Never mind the fact that the moose was white and considered rare, they didn't care about that part either. If they hadn't found out later the importance of it, its head would be mounted on a wall by now and they'd all be in 'smug mode'.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users