Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Thunderbird sighting

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 14,307 posts

• I love chocolate

Posted 10 October 2013 - 03:31 PM

From the article:

he said he saw a giant black bird take off from the ground in a cornfield across the road. He said the wingspan was around 40 feet wide and the body enormous (bigger than small planes). He said he'd never seen anything like it. He said it just flew off up into the clouds and disappeared. He said it wasn't a very graceful flier either.

http://www.sott.net/..._medium=twitter

#2    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,716 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 03:42 PM

He was going 55mph and saw it out of the corner of his eye.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated." - Hunt for the Skinwalker

"The ultimate irony of the Disclosure movement is that it deeply distrusts officialdom, while simultaneously looking to officialdom for the truth." - Robbie Graham Silver Screen Saucers

#3    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 14,307 posts

• I love chocolate

Posted 10 October 2013 - 03:43 PM

View PostSweetpumper, on 10 October 2013 - 03:42 PM, said:

He was going 55mph and saw it out of the corner of his eye.
That's not even close to what the article says.  The only thing close to corner was cornfield and he was a t a complete stop.

#4    Q-C

Q-C

BugWhisperer

• 5,517 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 03:45 PM

Sometimes I wave at the pilot, it's a habit.

Edited by QuiteContrary, 10 October 2013 - 03:50 PM.

Bigfoot is in the eye of the beholder

Scottish Scientists Only!

#5    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,716 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 03:46 PM

View PostOverSword, on 10 October 2013 - 03:43 PM, said:

That's not even close to what the article says.  The only thing close to corner was cornfield and he was a t a complete stop.

I know. That was a reference to another thread.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated." - Hunt for the Skinwalker

"The ultimate irony of the Disclosure movement is that it deeply distrusts officialdom, while simultaneously looking to officialdom for the truth." - Robbie Graham Silver Screen Saucers

#6    Cynical Sounds

Cynical Sounds

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts

• "Do you have any evidence for that?"

"there's more to life than evidence. "

......"Get in the ****ing sack"

Dara O'Brien

Posted 10 October 2013 - 03:51 PM

Am I the only one thinking if the body was the size of a small plane (e.g. a cessna 172) your looking at 27 feet. its wingspan was 40 feet....... that wing span seems way too small?

Also it would be the largest flying animal in history. Animals were bigger in the past for a reason (oxygen) I can't see a bird getting to that size and living.

I Don't Know Does Not Mean You're Right

#7    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 14,307 posts

• I love chocolate

Posted 10 October 2013 - 04:05 PM

Agreed.  T-birds are definetly hard to swallow.  (avion funny there)

#8    Domina Lucis

Domina Lucis

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

• "I'm not dead, so I'm obviously doing something right."

Posted 10 October 2013 - 05:27 PM

40 foot wingspan? Body bigger than a small plane? Holy smokes, that's huge! How can something that big stay hidden for long, especially if it flies in the sky a lot?

Posted Image

Domina Lucis

#9    Earl.Of.Trumps

Earl.Of.Trumps

BigFoot Whisperer

• 3,245 posts

• One of the beginnings of human emancipation is knowing when authority needs to be corrected | Hitchens, adapted

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:47 PM

View PostDomina Lucis, on 10 October 2013 - 05:27 PM, said:

40 foot wingspan? Body bigger than a small plane? Holy smokes, that's huge! How can something that big stay hidden for long, especially if it flies in the sky a lot?

Uh huh.  It does have that "BigFoot" feel to  it, eh?   "It's so big how come no one ever captures one?"

"I'm not trying to say your wrong, I'm just saying I disagree with you" ~ Jeremy ~

#10    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 20,233 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:42 AM

Interesting. Too bad there is no pic or video. Guess we just have to take the 2nd hand account as is.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#11    Gromdor

Gromdor

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 02:44 AM

Hmm, I live in Ames, right off the very road she is talking about. Can't say that I've seen any thunderbirds taking off though.

#12    Avallaine

Avallaine

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 174 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:06 AM

It's very hard to judge the size of something in the air...unless you can triangulate with another viewer, it's hard to fix a distance, and without a sure distance, size estimates are next to useless.

#13    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 20,233 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 11 October 2013 - 05:35 AM

View PostGromdor, on 11 October 2013 - 02:44 AM, said:

Hmm, I live in Ames, right off the very road she is talking about. Can't say that I've seen any thunderbirds taking off though.
Maybe you've seen some giant piles of bird crap with lamb bones in it or something?

Or, perhaps not....

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#14    Gromdor

Gromdor

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 09:12 PM

View PostDieChecker, on 11 October 2013 - 05:35 AM, said:

Maybe you've seen some giant piles of bird crap with lamb bones in it or something?

Or, perhaps not....
Well, there are a bunch of deer road kill in that area.  No lambs though.  Maybe it eats corn.  I'd hate for a 40' bird to poop on my car though.

#15    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 7,520 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:03 PM

Could it have been a couple of birds and an optical illusion of distance?

I say this because I had a really weird bird incident earlier this year.. and it was all mundane birds. I was out picking wild blackberries and startled a pair of sandhill cranes. The area there is full of tall grasses and blackberry brambles and a smattering of small trees starting to grow up surrounded by much taller trees. There was a mist up and it was early morning. And boy oh boy even though I knew darn well it was a pair of birds from standing still and fairly close up, it seemed like their combined wingspan was at least 20 feet of wingspan on a really huge bird. Sandhill cranes can have 5 and a half feet to 7 foot wingspans, and this pair is on the larger end of the size.
I have also seen in the early morning and later evening when light is tricky groups of swans and geese in flight in rather odd formations upon takeoff that looked like it could be one massive bird taking off and drifting/flying off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users