Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

Is it time for Obama to give back his Nobel?

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#1    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,748 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 10 October 2013 - 04:33 PM

The Telegraph said:

Tomorrow we hear who has won this year's Nobel Peace Prize. Of course, most of the previous recipients have been deserving. Some less so. When Henry Kissinger was awarded it in 1973, Tom Lehrer quipped that the prize, "made political satire obsolete."

The same could be said about the award that went to Barack Obama in 2009. It summed up his whole political career – celebrated before he'd actually done anything, the jar into which millions of liberals poured their dreams, and, most importantly, an utter disappointment when in office. Barack Obama deserves a peace prize in the way that Pat Robertson deserves the trophy for Mr Gay USA 2013. Consider the evidence:

- Far from ending the adventurism of his predecessor, Barack Obama surged troop numbers in Afghanistan, bombed Libya and was only prevented from going into Syria by public opposition to the sheer insanity of the idea.

Read more

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#2    Corp

Corp

Telekinetic

• 6,961 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 04:34 PM

Well he won it for no other reason than not being Bush so it's not like he earned it or anything. I think giving it back would be a good move.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth a war, is much worse...A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

#3    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 11,962 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 04:36 PM

He shouldn't have it in the first place.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated." - Hunt for the Skinwalker

"The ultimate irony of the Disclosure movement is that it deeply distrusts officialdom, while simultaneously looking to officialdom for the truth." - Robbie Graham Silver Screen Saucers

#4    Otto von Pickelhaube

Otto von Pickelhaube

A complete moral vacuum

• 30,144 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 10 October 2013 - 04:37 PM

Oh no, not at all. He didn't manage to persuade Congress to allow him a War in Syria, so surely that should qualify him for another Peace Prize.

If, as it seems, we are in the process of becoming a totalitarian society in which the state apparatus is all-powerful, the ethics most important for the survival of the true, free, human individual would be: cheat, lie, evade, fake it, be elsewhere, forge documents, build improved electronic gadgets in your garage that’ll outwit the gadgets used by the authorities.

- Philip K. Dick.

#5    Corp

Corp

Telekinetic

• 6,961 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 04:42 PM

View PostColonel Rhuairidh, on 10 October 2013 - 04:37 PM, said:

Oh no, not at all. He didn't manage to persuade Congress to allow him a War in Syria, so surely that should qualify him for another Peace Prize.

Didn't Congress b**** at him for not bombing Syria? Saying it make the US look weak? :P

Clearly the GOP should get the Peace Prize for shutting down the US government and stopping them from doing anything remotely warlike. ;)

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth a war, is much worse...A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

#6    Jeremiah65

Jeremiah65

Seeker of knowledge

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,097 posts

• "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Posted 10 October 2013 - 04:44 PM

I never understood why he got it in the first place...sure I had my sarcastic thinking...but seriously...he had just been elected...he hadn't done anything but be the first black president...I didn't know you could get a peace prize for what people "thought" you might do in the future.  hell, give me one...I "might" cure a disease or figure out faster than light travel...should be just as much justification as what they had for giving him one.

"Liberty means responsibility.  That is why most men dread it."  George Bernard Shaw
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."  Thomas Jefferson

Posted Image

#7    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 17,138 posts

• I love chocolate

Posted 10 October 2013 - 05:08 PM

This topic is posted 4 years too late.  Then again as I recall it probably was posted then as well.

#8    andy4

andy4

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power, there will be peace.

Posted 10 October 2013 - 06:25 PM

Maybe he got it because he was a black man elected as president in a country with a history of racial segregation. Up until about 40 or so years ago of course. I'd count that as being a good thing.

Love your brother as yourself, because you know what? He IS yourself, literally.- Bill Hicks

Dream argument

#9    Kowalski

Kowalski

The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

• 4,102 posts

• It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 10 October 2013 - 06:47 PM

View Postandy4, on 10 October 2013 - 06:25 PM, said:

Maybe he got it because he was a black man elected as president in a country with a history of racial segregation. Up until about 40 or so years ago of course. I'd count that as being a good thing.

America should have gotten it, not Obama. Obama didn't do anything! This was America's achievement, not his....

#10    Otto von Pickelhaube

Otto von Pickelhaube

A complete moral vacuum

• 30,144 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:19 PM

POPULAR

To be fair, he has done a lot for racial equality, proving that a black politician can be just as useless as a white one.

If, as it seems, we are in the process of becoming a totalitarian society in which the state apparatus is all-powerful, the ethics most important for the survival of the true, free, human individual would be: cheat, lie, evade, fake it, be elsewhere, forge documents, build improved electronic gadgets in your garage that’ll outwit the gadgets used by the authorities.

- Philip K. Dick.

#11    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 18,410 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:24 PM

When you list all the countries the US hasn't threatened, bombed, invaded, taken military action or instigated revolution in, against those it has during his time in office, you can see why he deserves that Peace Prize. :mellow:

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#12    aztek

aztek

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,612 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:33 PM

no you can't.
according to your logic Putin deserves one every year,

and he pbly does deserve one a lot more than obama

Edited by aztek, 10 October 2013 - 07:38 PM.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#13    Skep B

Skep B

Savant of Depravity

• 5,563 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:57 PM

THis year I'd say he really does deserve one...putin i mean

When you know what a man loves, you know what can kill him

#14    andy4

andy4

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power, there will be peace.

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:44 PM

View PostBurt Gummer, on 10 October 2013 - 06:47 PM, said:

America should have gotten it, not Obama. Obama didn't do anything! This was America's achievement, not his....

Ok, but without him getting elected your point is null.

Love your brother as yourself, because you know what? He IS yourself, literally.- Bill Hicks

Dream argument

#15    F3SS

F3SS

FoT

• 9,810 posts

• Father of Twins
    3-16-16

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:47 PM

View Postandy4, on 10 October 2013 - 08:44 PM, said:

Ok, but without him getting elected your point is null.

And so is this entire conversation for that matter. He deserved the historical recognition and that is it. It is the voters who made the great strides. All he did was try and he certainly isn't the first black guy to try. If anything he deserved the honorary lawyers award of Duey, Cheatem & Howe for the mass scale duping he pulled.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users