Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Hunter-gatherers got on fine with farmers

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,299 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:33 PM

New Scientist said:

Europe's first farmers lived alongside a ghost people. Even some 2000 years after farming began to spread through the continent, some people were still clinging to the hunter-gatherer lifestyles that had been practiced formerly. The first farmers and last of Europe's hunter-gatherers lived alongside each other for millennia and even shared burial sites.

"After 2000 years of agriculture in Europe, we still find hunter-gatherers," says Ruth Bollongino of Johannes Gutenberg University in Mainz, Germany. "We never expected anything like this."

Farming was invented in the Middle East about 10,500 years ago, and spread rapidly. It reached Europe about 7500 years ago, and continued to expand westwards – apparently because the incoming migrating farmers thrived and outcompeted the native hunter-gatherers. From this time forward, there are no archaeological records of hunter-gatherers in Europe, suggesting that the lifestyle had effectively died out. "We had no archaeological hints of their existence," says Bollongino.

Read more

Edited by questionmark, 10 October 2013 - 07:36 PM.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users